The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Any turbo's better than a Borg Warner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And see the car driving down the road? Wasn't gonna happen. Regardless if I made more. Anyway, I did have another 1g after this one that ran 7.7's in the 1/8th. But want this one to look nice, run fast, etc. The whole package. The 7.7 car was nothing pretty to look at.

Yep, but that was the choice I made. No undo button. Moving on to bigger and better things now though. Just trying to make all the best decisions possible this go around.

Numerous Mustangs down here are LOUD and cops don't even blink an eye.

That's the way is it in California. There frown upon foreign cars. They'll let Camaro, Corvette, Mustangs, etc... get away with anything.

I got my S366 ETT divided T4 for under 1k.

Well, it was probably mention somewhere in the forum how much power and spool time you want but the like you said Holset are cheap and do the job decently.

Picked up my divide T5 HX52 for $500 and spent a little time boring the holes to make it line with the T4 manifold.

v8s are slow - What is with the gauge cluster in that car? Has 8k redline, no km/h, and speedo is stepped in 5's like a '90.

Www.speedhut.com

Well, it was probably mention somewhere in the forum how much power and spool time you want but the like you said Holset are cheap and do the job decently.

Picked up my divide T5 HX52 for $500 and spent a little time boring the holes to make it line with the T4 manifold.

Sorry man, I just noticed that I missed your question. But yeah, would like as close to 700 horsepower as I can get and obviously want the spool as fast as I can get it. I had a 1g that ran a 7.797 in the 1/8th with an E16g, then I wanted to upgrade and threw on the T-67 that I had on the stroker motor. Huge mistake throwing that thing on a 2.0. On the highway, if I went wot, it'd take all the way to redline and then shift to the next gear before I finally spooled. Screw that. So I wanna go with as small of a turbine housing as I can for faster spool, without choking out the turbo.

How to decide what's the best size turbine housing though, I dunno. Aside from looking at everyone's setup, along with the turbo they have, size engine, turbine housing size, etc. and see where they spool. Then try and guess accordingly.

1gDSM4g63, where is your turbo spooling? T5? I guess if I were to go with a Holset, I'd probably go with the HX52 cause I know that turbo will support any kind of power I'd ever want. But I guess 1.) I'd wanna know where you get the HX52's from cause I didn't find anything on the Cummins forum and Ebay looks like fake HX52's, and 2.) what turbine housings are available for them and where do you get them?

I already mentioned where you can get cheap used real holsets, from hx25 to hx80.

Sorry, I must've missed that one. I'll go back and look.

I used to have a T3 T67 .82ar. I raced crotch rockets on a roll with that turbo with my 2.0. I wonder why you were having so many problems with yours.

The turbine housing was pretty large. I didn't have any issues when I had the E16g on it (not the car I have posted above but another 1g). But the T-67 came off the one I posted above and the turbine housing was fairly large. Forget what size but here's a picture of it compared to a FP3065 to give you an idea.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well, looking at the picture, it looks like .82 a/r. Sure a .63 or .70 would've helped a lot.

Trying to read up on the Holset HX50's since you mention it but reading 10+ pages in a Holset thread discussing lots of HX35's, 40's, etc. is so much fun sifting thru all the useless crap that doesn't pertain to what I'm looking for. Lol. But I'm reading.

^

Use "search within thread", and type in HX50. Makes life a lot easier. ;)

I see nothing that says "search within thread". Do you mean the section that says show as threads or post? Either way, I'm searchin.

To the OP...
My opinion... I am a big Holset and BW fan, but if you don't mind extra 2-300 dollars save yourself the headache and get GT40R/4088 with 0.96 Ar housing... There this guy on here Tim Zimmer, AKA twicks 69 and he made awesome proven power with 2.3 motor and GT 40... Like 740WHP and 696WTQ... That was in excess os 40 PSI, meaning you could make 700 with less boost...

Hands down I would go with BW if money wasn't a big issue. They are about to come out with a new turbo that is going to have people scratching their heads as to how it's possible to do what they did. Even I am baffled til I actually see it. And don't bother asking because I won't say anything about it.

Why'd you bring it up if you're not gonna tell us anything about it? :p

I see nothing that says "search within thread". Do you mean the section that says show as threads or post? Either way, I'm searchin.
Sorry, it actually says "search this thread", but it's function is the same.

It's in the header at the top of every page of every thread on this site, just below the page counter....noob. ROFL

Attachments

• Search.jpg
    Search.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 241
Thanks for the help but that didn't really come up with anything. I guess it's a good thing that there's other forum's I'm a member of. And yeah, I never even noticed that little tab up there. Dang noob's. Lol.

1gDSM4g63, where is your turbo spooling? T5? I guess if I were to go with a Holset, I'd probably go with the HX52 cause I know that turbo will support any kind of power I'd ever want. But I guess 1.) I'd wanna know where you get the HX52's from cause I didn't find anything on the Cummins forum and Ebay looks like fake HX52's, and 2.) what turbine housings are available for them and where do you get them?

I went with a divided T5 16 cm turbo housing and bored out the holes so it'd mount to the twin-scroll T4 manifold.

JH Manifold is no longer business but with the 16 cm housing it will fit on that bottom mount manifold which makes life a lot easier fabricating the exhaust.

As far as where I found it, I got lucky and something turn up on eBay.

Check out my AMS dyno on the Holset Results, you'll get a base spool rate on a 2.0L that is running a twin-scroll 16 cm Holset HX52.

Yep, I'm interested. PM sent.

P.S. Concerning the HX52, I'd be interested in one but does anyone know the available turbine housings? Or where to get the info for different housings for an HX40/50/52? I know the 52 doesn't come in a T3 I suppose, but if I could at least get it in a smaller sized divided T4, I'd be happy. Guess Biglady112 and 1gDSM4g63 are the only ones on here running one of these, and someone Biglady knows with a 2.0 with a rather large housing and the spool is rather slow. I can only imagine the power with a smaller one to help the spool and still flow a ton of air......for cheap (not that I wouldn't spend more money but if I can go cheap and still make good power with a 90 lb/min turbo, then that money can go elsewhere).

Last edited:
...Biglady knows with a 2.0 with a rather large housing and the spool is rather slow. I can only imagine the power with a smaller one to help the spool and still flow a ton of air......for cheap (not that I wouldn't spend more money but if I can go cheap and still make good power with a 90 lb/min turbo, then that money can go elsewhere).

I don't exactly remember what sizing turbo housing BigLady is running but he isn't running a twin-scroll setup and he is running 1.6L engine and Colorado high altitude.

Well, there's very few people using the HX52, but I'm interested in using it. I don't think I'd ever have to upgrade if I get this one. Just waiting on about 3 big checks to come in between now and November 1st. If any of them come in, I'll get the HX52 that TSimage is selling if he still has it. Then I guess we'll see how well it does. Think I need to start a blog here soon. Very interested to seeing how a twin scoll setup would spool it, and the sound it'd make just driving around the block :)

Oh yeah, and I know he's on a 1.6 but he posted up info on a guy that's running a 2.0L. I just found a new HX52 for pretty freakin cheap though so I guess I'm in a holding pattern until I get a freakin check and see what housing it has. Just waiting on the government right now. Grrrr!!!!!!!

Went to the track last night on the s366 and made one pass at 20psi due to a faulty tial 44 wastegate.

11.41 @ 131 1.9 60ft. (only 20psi!)

I broke the xfer case on the 2nd run.

I normally run 28psi on pump gas....35+ on race gas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back