The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Any Tips On Motor Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farfromrice

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2004
daerborn hgts, Michigan
I am trading my freind my 90 honda accord ex for a 1st gen with no motor but, drivetrain is still intact. He is giving me a motor with 30k on it any tips for the install and how long do you think it would take. :confused:

Well I haven't pulled my motor yet but Welcome to the real word of performance. Once you start doing some mods you will be amazed that you ever thought about dumping more money in a Honda.. If that is what you were doing. Hopefully the drivetrain is in good condition.

Well i am getting another 1st gen with that does not run I think the timing belt snapped and mess up the head, so 2 bad might = 1 good. I enjoy working on cars cause it cures boredom and gives you a sense of pride
:thumb:

Is there anything to watch out for i plan on removing the balance shafts and the egr and all of that bull sh*t. Any uncommon tools , Any tips from experience and what type of shop manuals ect......

I have the Haynes manual which is very good source of information. I haven't gotten rid of the EGR stuff yet but I believe on the 1G that it won't throw a CEL if you do. You'll just get a little worse fuel milage. It looks pretty straight forward on pulling and putting in the engine. I'm going to be yanking mine soon to replace the Tranny and install the ACT 2600. Look at the Vfaq's and you should be pretty good.

if the motor you are going to be putting in is the one with the broken timing belt...i'd look into that a little more. i BELIEVE...may be wrong, but i believe the 4g63 is an interference motor (valves can hit pistons and destroy both if the belt jumps or breaks) in which case the motor you're looking at may need new valves and pistons. motor swap isn't too bad though, just take your time. good luck.

Yea, use locktite on your flywheel bolts and a decent amount of torque. If you go with an aftermarket flywheel look into forcedperformance.net, they sell a longer bolt kit. It sucks having one back out on you.

vfaq.com will show exactly how to remove the balance shafts and such

for the actual instal of the motor I have put a motor and tranny in and had it running in a few hours.. but it may take you a couple of days (I have done it 5 times)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back