The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Any reputable 420A businesses?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgoose

5+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2016
Leitchfield, Kentucky
Are there any reputable businesses that will build a 420a to specifics? All I have been finding is the CI Motorsport but I was seen a lot of people had bad experiences with them. I figured I’d look into it before doing something else.

I really doubt it. Every year our platform becomes more obsolete. I don't have much experience with CI besides ordering from them on Ebay, but their prices on engine builds and cylinder head porting are beyond insane.

Where are you located, approximately? If we're close enough I could build something for you. And even tune the car if you're going that far with it. I just need to know your expectations and end goals.

I really doubt it. Every year our platform becomes more obsolete. I don't have much experience with CI besides ordering from them on Ebay, but their prices on engine builds and cylinder head porting are beyond insane.

Where are you located, approximately? If we're close enough I could build something for you. And even tune the car if you're going that far with it. I just need to know your expectations and end goals.
Honestly I want 500 to the wheels. I really really wanted to engine swap it. I won’t say to what because of the hate I would definitely get 🤣. But I wanted to at least look at the possibility of this engine maybe being built and being reliable. But I’m seeing a lot online over the past few weeks of research that it’s a tough one to work out details.

Honestly I want 500 to the wheels. I really really wanted to engine swap it. I won’t say to what because of the hate I would definitely get 🤣. But I wanted to at least look at the possibility of this engine maybe being built and being reliable. But I’m seeing a lot online over the past few weeks of research that it’s a tough one to work out details.
What exactly makes you want 500 whp? Have you ever owned a small FWD car with this kind of power? Do you know what it takes to achieve this goal?

The problem there is that you aren't just needing an engine built. Now you're needing the entire car built around the engine to handle/support this kind of power.

I would start with something reasonably lower. Like 300whp, which can be attained fairly easily in comparison to 500. These cars are very quick even at this power level.

This isn't to say that 500whp isn't achievable. I just don't get why you'd go for that number unless it's strictly a race car and you're competing for tough timeslips.

Evidence that the 420A can surpass 700whp:

There just really isn't any practicality in something like this. It's just a way to spend money which you'll never get back. I won't tell you to sell it and get a turbo model (as everyone else seems to do), but I will say to evaluate your investment and see if it's really worth it to you.

So, what engine are you wanting to swap into it? No reason to hold back now. Who knows, the said engine might achieve 500whp easier and cheaper than a 420A.

K28 :cool::p

What exactly makes you want 500 whp? Have you ever owned a small FWD car with this kind of power? Do you know what it takes to achieve this goal?

The problem there is that you aren't just needing an engine built. Now you're needing the entire car built around the engine to handle/support this kind of power.

I would start with something reasonably lower. Like 300whp, which can be attained fairly easily in comparison to 500. These cars are very quick even at this power level.

This isn't to say that 500whp isn't achievable. I just don't get why you'd go for that number unless it's strictly a race car and you're competing for tough timeslips.

Evidence that the 420A can surpass 700whp:

There just really isn't any practicality in something like this. It's just a way to spend money which you'll never get back. I won't tell you to sell it and get a turbo model (as everyone else seems to do), but I will say to evaluate your investment and see if it's really worth it to you.

So, what engine are you wanting to swap into it? No reason to hold back now. Who knows, the said engine might achieve 500whp easier and cheaper than a 420A.
This is just a toy for me, I drive my civic as my daily. I’m used to that power in mustangs and trucks. And for me to have that power in a 2700lb car would be an awesome experience. For me I can build it but I’d rather not. I’d rather have something built over the gsx/gst. I specialize in Hondas. I want to do a swap of some kind versus keeping the 420a but was trying to look towards a possibility of getting the 420a built. Now for the swap options. It’ll either be a built 4cylinder or v6 swap it. If I v6 swap it I know there will be a ton of fabricating and I’m not worried about it, easy for me to get it mounted. I’ll have to work out the kinks along the way. I seen someone swap in a k series in the eclipse and I like that idea since it has a ton of aftermarket support. 4pistons racing quoted me a price for a 6-800hp long block k24 and gear driven quoted me on the built transmission. So just to be clear though I’m not asking what will fit LOL. If I decide on it, I’ll make it fit. And to reinforce the car if need be I’ll do.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you're going to V6 swap, look into the Mitsubishi Cyclone V6's (6G7X). For maximum stock performance look into the 3.8L 6G75 DOHC. It's stock with 275hp and 290ft/lbs. For the most part it would take kindly to the 2G frame & body, though the bay would be very crammed in comparison to housing a 2.0L. If you can mount it, wire it, plumb it, and connect it to the wheels then you're already ahead of the game. And your Mitsubishi Eclipse would end with a Mitsubishi engine.

I'm sort of working on a 6G73 swap in a 2G right now. I have everything I need besides a transmission, and that's the current hold up. I will not use the 4 speed auto so I'm searching for a rare 5 speed. It's a similar engine to the 6G75, but less performance based and an older variation. It's a SOHC 2.5L, stock with 161hp and 165ft/lbs. Which is still an extra 21hp and 25ft/lbs than the stock 420A makes. It's going to be my fun street car, not race car.

But all this being considered, you can definitely leave the 420A in the car and heavily boost it. Just prepare for a 35-40psi build, depending on other supporting modifications. We're talking stripped, studded, forged, and tuned. This is it's own fabrication project, but would at least save the hardache of fabricating engine/transmission mounts.

If you're going to V6 swap, look into the Mitsubishi Cyclone V6's (6G7X). For maximum stock performance look into the 3.8L 6G75 DOHC. It's stock with 275hp and 290ft/lbs. For the most part it would take kindly to the 2G frame & body, though the bay would be very crammed in comparison to housing a 2.0L. If you can mount it, wire it, plumb it, and connect it to the wheels then you're already ahead of the game. And your Mitsubishi Eclipse would end with a Mitsubishi engine.

I'm sort of working on a 6G73 swap in a 2G right now. I have everything I need besides a transmission, and that's the current hold up. I will not use the 4 speed auto so I'm searching for a rare 5 speed. It's a similar engine to the 6G75, but less performance based and an older variation. It's a SOHC 2.5L, stock with 161hp and 165ft/lbs. Which is still an extra 21hp and 25ft/lbs than the stock 420A makes. It's going to be my fun street car, not race car.

But all this being considered, you can definitely leave the 420A in the car and heavily boost it. Just prepare for a 35-40psi build, depending on other supporting modifications. We're talking stripped, studded, forged, and tuned. This is it's own fabrication project, but would at least save the hardache of fabricating engine/transmission mounts.
At the beginning I was wanting to keep it same brand all Mitsubishi but the aftermarket support for the k series is insane. My goal this year is to work on the body. Get things fixed that needs to be. And end up settling on the engine and transmission and get those ordered in march (bonus time) . At this moment the 420a smokes at 4-5k so I know it’s rebuild time plus I paid stupid for it just for the condition of the body versus Les what’s normally around my area LOL. Do you have a build thread for your v6 swap? I’d like to follow along with it. I can’t drive mine when it rains cause of the type of hood on it so I mainly mess with interior when that’s the case until I can get it in my garage. The radio is super weird LOL when the equalizer is set to center the right side front and back speakers distort out but when I move it either right front or right rear they both work and on the wiring they are wired correctly, so I figured I’d tackle that during bad weather

At the beginning I was wanting to keep it same brand all Mitsubishi but the aftermarket support for the k series is insane. My goal this year is to work on the body. Get things fixed that needs to be. And end up settling on the engine and transmission and get those ordered in march (bonus time) . At this moment the 420a smokes at 4-5k so I know it’s rebuild time plus I paid stupid for it just for the condition of the body versus Les what’s normally around my area LOL. Do you have a build thread for your v6 swap? I’d like to follow along with it. I can’t drive mine when it rains cause of the type of hood on it so I mainly mess with interior when that’s the case until I can get it in my garage. The radio is super weird LOL when the equalizer is set to center the right side front and back speakers distort out but when I move it either right front or right rear they both work and on the wiring they are wired correctly, so I figured I’d tackle that during bad weather
Yea, I sort of have a build thread. The car isn't fully built yet, and the pace keeps slowing. The engine isn't actually getting dropped in the car until I find that 5 speed to bolt up and weld the transmission mount for it. I'll post a link below. The thread will get more updates at some point, just not sure how soon/late. There's good basic info on there for now.

Yea, I sort of have a build thread. The car isn't fully built yet, and the pace keeps slowing. The engine isn't actually getting dropped in the car until I find that 5 speed to bolt up and weld the transmission mount for it. I'll post a link below. The thread will get more updates at some point, just not sure how soon/late. There's good basic info on there for now.
Nice nice yea I get that, projects can be slow and daunting. Last project I had fell thru, with titling issues so I had to drop it, it was an ls swapped civic , previous one was working on a crx. Beautiful car. But decided ima do everything the right way and not get excited when I see a car like a 16 year old picking out their first ride LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back