The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Any new skills developed during quarantine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
Figured I'd start a thread that goes against all the other drama surrounding what's been going on. Instead, I'm curious to hear what you all have been doing to improve yourselves while everything is shut down - for those of you that have had the time at least. Has anyone in here taken this opportunity to learn a new skill or master something that they've always wanted to master? Has anyone used this situation to reinvent themselves in some way? Maybe even take up a new hobby or revisited an old one? I know it can be tough to focus on keeping a growth mindset when you're isolated, but I wonder how many have tried. Besides the scale model hobby I've been doing some graphic design. Nothing worth sharing, but it's been fun.

How about you?

You guys have free time?? I had to drop to working 2-3 days a week to take care of my kids and do home schooling for 1st and 3rd grade dual language, which means they are essentially 100% spanish for all class work. Top that with months of work here to get done, and likely will take longer now that my hours are so extremely limited. Add on the fact that it will be a minimum of 4 months like this, and realistically the remainder of 2020 into 2021 school year. I am essentially screwed.

You guys have free time?? I had to drop to working 2-3 days a week to take care of my kids and do home schooling for 1st and 3rd grade dual language, which means they are essentially 100% spanish for all class work. Top that with months of work here to get done, and likely will take longer now that my hours are so extremely limited. Add on the fact that it will be a minimum of 4 months like this, and realistically the remainder of 2020 into 2021 school year. I am essentially screwed.
I feel for you Tim. I’m lucky that my girls have been pretty self sufficient with school. I’ll have to be the IT guy every once in a while and help with 4th grade math but that’s it. If anything it’s keeping them busy that gets tough.

Not everyone will have free time right now, but for those that do, what are you doing to improve yourself?

Must be kinda nice, I still work my regular schedule, business as usual, I used to work in place that would lay off in the winter months, never had any time to be bored even then, I always had more to do than time to do it, I would love to try being bored.

Must be kinda nice, I still work my regular schedule, business as usual, I used to work in place that would lay off in the winter months, never had any time to be bored even then, I always had more to do than time to do it, I would love to try being bored.
My question was more for people who can’t work or maybe have been laid off. It’s a question for those who all the sudden have time available who are using it to either reinvent themselves to be prepared for the next phase of their lives, or maybe for those learning to connect with the things they love, like through a hobby or a skill they always wanted to master ( like welding or something). Some aren’t in that type of situation so it won’t be a good question for everyone. But I wouldn’t necessarily be envious of people who all the sudden have a lot of free time. It probably isn’t something they wanted. But it doesn’t mean they can’t use the time to help grow or improve themselves. Curious who here has tried to use a growth mindset in these times.

And through all of that.. Tim also helped me sort out what clutch to use for my new setup. Master of multitasking:thumb:

I have had alot of off time due to this and I have been taking the time to learn how to weld. I bought a mig welder a while back for little things but havent really been doing any big jobs. I'm quite shanky at it to be honest so I have been practicing alot. Recently used it to make an intake pipe and welded a few AN bungs to it for my catch cans.

Im usually out of state 90% of the year working and now with what’s going on, IM OFF,.

I was anxious to finally have time for my dsm, but I barely have time to work on it.

I being fixing all my family cars that needs attention and I’m very busy.

Well 70% is done, I have just a few left and I should start working in my dsm. Believe it or not, I just work on her half hour every then, I was able to install a push start and keyless entry system, but besides that, I haven’t touch her. I just see her every night before going to bed, (like saying good night).

I’m anxious to start messing with her.

I’m currently teleworking just two days a week, but I’ve gotten a couple things done during the free time I wouldn’t have other wise.

I managed to reorganize a crap ton of pictures on the computer. Pictures of the wife, Disney honeymoon, the cars, my mom and dad, random animals/pets, etc.

I categorized a bunch of music on the computer as well. Basically the smaller details like artist, album, etc. in iTunes. This was started like four years ago when I sold a bunch of CDs and started going digital. I still have more CDs to pull on to the PC and edit up, but that’ll happen eventually.

I finished up building a 1/8 scale convertible Volkswagen Beetle model in yellow. I also got the motorized doors on the 1/8 scale LeFerrari model working again. That was an all day project in itself.

I tried and failed at fixing the netbook I used to use for DSMLink. Keeps randomly powering off. So, I’ll have to pursue other options for a PC, maybe a Pi 4.

I got BFA flying in World of Warcraft. Lol. I’m a nerd, too.

Car wise, I fixed a foglight grounding issue on my Saturn and put the summer wheels on. I troubleshot the secondary remote fob for the Eclipse (looks like a dying CR battery). Started the Eclipse, trying to keep up with that.

Future plans consist of fixing the power lock issue on the Saturn (have to take the seats out to get to the groundings) at the very least. Hopefully add on a trunk pop and rear view camera.

POR15 coat the spare wheel well on the Eclipse. Measure out potential spots for this Endo CVT tank for air rise. Finish up connecting the ARC2.

Maybe do sub installs on both cars.

This is one of the many times that I'm glad that I don't have any kids. I'm still working from home during the week so the only free time that I've gained through staying at home is the weekends.

I've wired the house for Ethernet, which was a first for me. I thought 1000' would have been enough but boy was I wrong. I installed a natural gas grill and have the lines ready for a garage heater once I have money again. The husband was out hanging gutters yesterday, which pretty much any home improvement job is a new skill for him. And speaking of the husband, I'm teaching him how to make bread. We haven't had any good sandwich loaves yet but he'll get there eventually.

Car-wise, I installed a custom audio system in my van which didn't come with a radio from the factory. Not a new skill, but it's the first time that I've had to start completely from scratch. PS I hate putting wood in cars.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I've also spent a bit of time simplifying the vacuum system in the van because that engine bay is a disaster. I had to stop only because I ran out of vacuum caps.

I'm working with a machinist to design a big brake kit for Autozam AZ-1s using Miata calipers all around and 1st gen Nissan 240SX/180SX front rotors with AE86 rear rotors. The rears arrived last weekend but the used calipers needed rebuilt and pistons are out of stock nationwide right now, so rebuilt calipers are out for delivery today. I have no idea what I'm doing but all of this brake research seems to be paying off so far and I'm hopping to get the AZ-1 back on the road next week.

This is one of the many times that I'm glad that I don't have any kids. I'm still working from home during the week so the only free time that I've gained through staying at home is the weekends.

I've wired the house for Ethernet, which was a first for me. I thought 1000' would have been enough but boy was I wrong. I installed a natural gas grill and have the lines ready for a garage heater once I have money again. The husband was out hanging gutters yesterday, which pretty much any home improvement job is a new skill for him. And speaking of the husband, I'm teaching him how to make bread. We haven't had any good sandwich loaves yet but he'll get there eventually.

Car-wise, I installed a custom audio system in my van which didn't come with a radio from the factory. Not a new skill, but it's the first time that I've had to start completely from scratch. PS I hate putting wood in cars.

I've also spent a bit of time simplifying the vacuum system in the van because that engine bay is a disaster. I had to stop only because I ran out of vacuum caps.

I'm working with a machinist to design a big brake kit for Autozam AZ-1s using Miata calipers all around and 1st gen Nissan 240SX/180SX front rotors with AE86 rear rotors. The rears arrived last weekend but the used calipers needed rebuilt and pistons are out of stock nationwide right now, so rebuilt calipers are out for delivery today. I have no idea what I'm doing but all of this brake research seems to be paying off so far and I'm hopping to get the AZ-1 back on the road next week.
I have to be careful doing projects around the house... if I do good work I get more things added to my list, which turns into a curse. :D

I'm lucky enough that I can mostly work from home. Traffic in Sydney sucks, so I have 2.5 hours extra each day. I've been using my rower and exercise bike every day in an attempt to shed the 16lbs or so of fat my middle aged midsection has accumulated in the last few years. Finally on the downhill run after my weight has been steady while my body burned fat but put on muscle.

Still in college myself. All classes moved to online and was downsized from my part-time job. Didn't bother with unemployment cause, well....I don't really need it seeing as how my girlfriend still has her job and we have no kids.

When not doing school work, I've spent some time helping in my dad's business (IT). Never liked computers or programming, but its interesting to learn from him.
For the hell of it, I pulled out all of the HO scale model train stuff my dad and I accumulated when I was a kid. We had planned to build a big train set in the garage, but it never happened. Since I've been shut indoors, I've built up the wooden framework, wired it all up, and got some trains going. I like building stuff- big and small.

Speaking of around-the-house-projects...... I avoid calling plumbers, contractors, and the like wherever and whenever I can. Spent this weekend completely redoing the dirt floor crawlspace in our 1950 house. 70 years worth of cobwebs, trash, dead mice, and rotten lumber was removed. Going to reseal the HVAC ducting, add a vapor barrier, and finally fix that busted spigot this week. After I'm done, I hope I never have to clean a crawlspace again :barf:

Last edited:
Man for me it has been working on and practicing my fly fishing casts. Fly fishing is kind of a “solo” thing so the 6ft apart rule does not apply LOL. Recently went way up into the Sierras for some high stream rainbows and had a blast.

Man for me it has been working on and practicing my fly fishing casts. Fly fishing is kind of a “solo” thing so the 6ft apart rule does not apply LOL. Recently went way up into the Sierras for some high stream rainbows and had a blast.

That is bad ass

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back