The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

General Any interest in a speeduino plug in ECU?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron Morison

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2018
Christchurch, New_Zealand
So basically, I have build over the last couple of years a speeduino based ECU for the SR20 platform, using UA4C hardware and my own lower adapter board to manage the specifics of the interface to the vehicle

Im currently going over the 4g63 wiring diagrams for the Evo1-3 and looking at the changes required to use the already working design on the 4g63.

Attached here is a picture of the one I have done for the SR20. Adapting the general design to a 4g63, with the 64 pin Evo 1-3 header style seems pretty reasonable. I havent looked at the earlier VR4 galant header at this stage as its not really relevant to anything I work on, but could look into it.

Reply to this thread if you are potentially interested. As I have not had anything to do with ECMlink etc I dont know what the pro's and con's of these daughterboard platforms are for the mitsi. On the nissans the daughterboard tech was getting very dated and difficult to find parts and tuners for though so thats why I developed it for our club members. Maybe there is a demand in the mitsi world, maybe not.... please let me know your thoughts.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yet to produce yet but pretty well through the circuit board production. Like the SR20 one, the UA4C module attaches on. Just going over each and every circuit now to ensure compatibility with the the Mitsubishi circuits.

Any extra option helps as these platforms get older, but as tuning software goes you would be teaching this platform a new language so we would need interpreters to decipher the language.

So next question would be what kind of interface would you be using for tuning. If that answer is, open based arduino software, then you may lose us on the technical information side unless there is an easy to follow interface

Any extra option helps as these platforms get older, but as tuning software goes you would be teaching this platform a new language so we would need interpreters to decipher the language.

So next question would be what kind of interface would you be using for tuning. If that answer is, open based arduino software, then you may lose us on the technical information side unless there is an easy to follow interface
Have a look into speeduino. It's getting quite mature now. It uses the tunerstudio software just like megasquirt does and you don't have to have much specific technical knowledge to use it.

I think once you make it and post a video of how it works and explain it there could be interest. I know people love doing the evo ecus and ceddy mods for that reason of being budget friendly. As long as it's priced within a reasonable range. Used ecmlink set ups are going for 650-900 and anything over 1000 your in a standalone ecu range so i don't see that being your market.

I think once you make it and post a video of how it works and explain it there could be interest. I know people love doing the evo ecus and ceddy mods for that reason of being budget friendly. As long as it's priced within a reasonable range. Used ecmlink set ups are going for 650-900 and anything over 1000 your in a standalone ecu range so i don't see that being your market.
Absolutely. I've got some bunch of the sr20 ones out there, and this is essentially a header swap. I am not far from being ordering the boards now so will post some updates when it's in and running. My sr20 ones sell for about 400usd

I am interested in this and following the thread. I have a 1g 4g63T in a Conquest. It's not ready to hit the road yet. But keeping options open.

I am interested in this and following the thread. I have a 1g 4g63T in a Conquest. It's not ready to hit the road yet. But keeping options open.
I ordered the circuit boards today, they take about a week to be produced, so Ill be able to assemble and do some testing and tuning once Ive had a chance to assemble it. Expecting to have some more progress in 2-3 weeks.

I've learnt from the SR20 one to be cautious about timelines as you dont know what you are going to encounter till its tested, but given 90% of the R&D was applicable to the 4g63, and I have a more robust development process, I'm optimistic about the initial board being successful.

Of course you always think of something an hour after you submit the order, and this time I thought that I should have put jumper options for 6 cylinder engines which run on the same header, but that can happen later once the initial board is tested if there is any demand for a 6 cylinder compatible version.

First board produced

I installed and did a test today. Without any significant effort to do any tuning (just install and some small changes to make it run smoothly we have success. Just need to look at the tacho output. It would be nice to use the built into tacho output as it allows a tacho sweep on startup but it looks like I might have to disconnect the ignitor tacho signal to do that.

Ill have some more progress as I do tuning on it

Pretty cool idea. I found the speeduino code to be a little too limiting compared to what has been done with the MS3. So I took an MS3 processor card and made my own plug and play PCB to put it on. Works great and has full MS3 features. Sequential, rolling anti-lag, flex fuel etc. 4 bar map sensor on board

One thing I did that worked out awesome, I mapped my aux analog input pins to the original MAF inputs. There is already 12, 5v reference, and ground on the MAF connector. So I have IAT, oil pressure, fuel pressure, and flex fuel sensors running to the MAF plug through a jumper harness and its all plug and play didn't have to change anything in the factory harness. Could go back to MAF and the factory ECU in a flash.

Last edited:
Just need to look at the tacho output. It would be nice to use the built into tacho output as it allows a tacho sweep on startup but it looks like I might have to disconnect the ignitor tacho signal to do that.
I addressed this with a jumper on the PCB between tacho output and that pin on the ecu connector. That way when your running the factory Power Transistor it provides signal to the tach. But if you switch to logic coils and remove the transistor then you put the jumper in and the ecu can run the tach via it's output.

Any Knock control, boost by gear, or ignition retard and cut limiters? If you can get all that in for under $1,000 people would buy.
With the factory VSS input and your transmission ratios put in I have boost by gear setup on mine its pretty straight forward.

Ignition retard and cut limiters - im assuming you are reffering to anti-lag? Or are you talking about on Knock control retard on Knock?

MS3 does all forms of cut limiters. I have rolling anti-lag setup on mine. You can do NLTS, 2 step both spark and fuel cut. There are safety system setups which will cut if it goes lean AFR, fuel pressure or oil pressure low. All pretty standard for a standalone.

Knock control is another thing. It requires another chip to implement but is doable if desired. You can get retard on knock working with enough effort smoothing the sendor signal and setting your thresholds. But I find thid on standalone ecu's often to be difficult to get working reliably. Even the OEM ecu knock control setup isnt that great.

I left the chip out on my board and rather have the knock sensor mapped to a 3.5mm jack on the board. I plug in a set of good headphones with a little battery powered inline amp I got off amazon. Lets me listen for knock while tuning. Works great.

I’ve used det cans myself, but in the current market individual cylinder knock control is available with good aftermarket ecu’s. Now if you can come in under ecmlink on pricing you could probably sell 50-100 units.

I left the chip out on my board and rather have the knock sensor mapped to a 3.5mm jack on the board. I plug in a set of good headphones with a little battery powered inline amp I got off amazon. Lets me listen for knock while tuning. Works great.
This sounds like the RX coolant pump noise monitoring system we had in the Navy. I approve.

I’ve used det cans myself, but in the current market individual cylinder knock control is available with good aftermarket ecu’s. Now if you can come in under ecmlink on pricing you could probably sell 50-100 units.
If I added a TPIC8101 knock chip on the board you can have the option for knock control, but to me the hardware side is the easy part.

Megasquirt's code implementation for knock is similar to what I have seen on other aftermarket ECU's. Per cylinder detection, global retard. I will say I like Haltech's knock control setup better with their spectrograph but it's similar. Pretty much everything on the Haltech software is a little more polished; you get what you pay for.

The issue I have found with any standalone knock control is filtering out noise reliably. On a stock engine with soft mounts it can be fairly straight forward. But on modified stuff it gets more complicated. And yes you can adjust the listening period after spark per cylinder and threshold vs RPM to try and take care of it (All of which takes a while to tune). But what do you do if you are getting noise feedback in a certain RPM range that is above normal engine noise but you know is not knock? Hard to have the computer seperate knock and noise if there in a similar HZ range. All it looks at is HZ range qualified by things like RPM or ms after spark etc. (I'm sure some code implementations are more complicated on like modern OEM stuff or Motec stuff but that's not the level most tuners are at)

Specifically with my engine on Poly mounts I found a slight harmonic around 3000 at about 10% throttle load. Would set the factory ECU off on knock like crazy. Counts of 10+. You could back timing 5-10 degrees and no change would still be there. Through headphones now I can hear it's not knock so I just ignore it. If I was running knock control you absolutely could just have it ignore the sensor below 3k to get around it but the point I'm trying to illustrate is proper knock on the standalone's takes time. Like hours and so it's probably not something your going to pay a tuner to do on the dyno.

Rather it makes a great safety system to setup after the fact to save the motor if something goes wrong like the AFR, oil pressure and fuel pressure safety but it's not always the best tuning tool. So whether to implement it or not really comes down to how good a tuner you are and how much time you are going to spend or pay someone to spend tuning your car.

And ya I don't think it's something I'd go into production on or anything just cause it's so specific and Link already kinda has the market. But I got some extra boards if anyone wants to try it out.

Last edited:
This is sick, are you going to be selling those adapter boards in the future? I'm considering getting the speeduino v0.3 with a teensy 3.5. Remove the stock ecu and de-solder the female connecters to make an adapter harness. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, something like what you have here would be sweet!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back