The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Any harm running higher voltage alternator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosul210

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2003
san antonio, Texas
Hey folks I noticed my car will be hard to start sometimes, recently replaced battery with new unit.

I tested the voltage on the battery at idle and it reads a steady 14V, with the head lights on it drops to about 13V and with the headlights and A/C on it drops even further to approx. 11.5V.

I am suspecting a bad alternator perhaps? Its an aftermarket unit rated at 75V. I found a remanufactured unit (direct replacement) rated at 100Volts, would this be a safe upgrade for my vehicle (1G AWD)? Any other modifications besides replacing the fusible link to 100Volts? And lastly any general harm that may occur as a result of the higher voltage unit? (BTW will also replace the belt at the same time).

I did the Saturn alternator swap and my car runs a lot better! I made a heat shield out of a 1g air can cover. I read one post about the alternator going out because of the exposed bearing in the back due to the high heat.
I bought my 100amp at advance auto for $100. You can find them at the J yards but I went threw 2 before just buying one with a WARRANTY!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/272646-saturn-alternator-swap.html

Check this out. I did this, and its not too hard to do, and much cheaper than going with the 100 amp unit. Output is 96 amps

I did the Saturn alternator swap and my car runs a lot better! I made a heat shield out of a 1g air can cover. I read one post about the alternator going out because of the exposed bearing in the back due to the high heat.
I bought my 100amp at advance auto for $100. You can find them at the J yards but I went threw 2 before just buying one with a WARRANTY!

Well I found a remanufactured 1G alternator rated at 100 AMPS so no modifications required as in the Saturn alternator - which is also a great unit from what I read.

Any mods besides upgrading the fusible link to 100 Amps?

Don't change your fusible link size.
Alts are rated in Amperage, not volts, there's a big difference.

People swap to the Saturn Alt because they are better built and don't have problems with the voltage regulator like the Mitsu ones.
After 3 Mitsu alts I've switched to a Saturn one.

Don't change your fusible link size.
Alts are rated in Amperage, not volts, there's a big difference.

People swap to the Saturn Alt because they are better built and don't have problems with the voltage regulator like the Mitsu ones.
After 3 Mitsu alts I've switched to a Saturn one.

Ok but should I change the stock 80AMP alternator fuse to a 100AMP fuse? The new alternator is rated at 100AMPS.

Ok but should I change the stock 80AMP alternator fuse to a 100AMP fuse? The new alternator is rated at 100AMPS.

No, leave it be.
The stock wiring is NOT rated for 100A so that will do more harm then good. In all the swaps I've seen no one has changed the ALT fusible link out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back