The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Any graduates from UTI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swing lo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2003
Jacksonville, Florida
Was thinking about attending UNIVERSAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE and was wondering if anybody has went there, know people who have, and if 21,000 dollars is to much to spend.

Any feedback would be nice :talon:

I plan on going to UTI a year or so after I get out of high school. I am going to be going to the Huston campus for auto body and custom refinishing. Tuition is going up though after this year a couple hundred bucks :notgood:

I'm going to the Illinois campus right now.

dis_ill_usion said:
I am going to be going to the Huston campus for auto body and custom refinishing...

Might see you there, I'll be attending the BMW STEP Program.:)

I'm there at the IL campus to, Iheartturbo is in the pm classes and i'm in the AM classes.

I'm not sure how he likes it but I honestly think it could be alot better.

I'll bring up some points about it.

A. Theres not enough lab time, or hands on time.
B. Some of the instructors are dicks, big time.
C. Classes are only 15 days long, so if you like it, it sucks cuz it's over fast but if you hate it, it's also over fast.
D. They have alot of stupid rules, most of which people never even follow.
E. um, what else here, ask us whatever questions you have about the place. :boring:

one con that I know of that affects me and I am not even there yet is that you can have no visible tattoo's. I have so many tattoo's that I want to get but I can't because they would be on my arms and whatnot. it sucks :notgood:

When I talk about tattoo's that I want to get there is always the same convo. that goes on every time I talk about it...

Me: I want to get this tattoo right here.

Person: That would be sweet, why don't you get it?

Me: I would but I am going to be going to UTI

Person: What does that have to do with it?

Me: One of their rules are that you have to be professional, and that means you can not have any visible tattoo's

Person: oh, that sucks

Me: Yeah, I know

That is almost the exact convo. that happens every time I talk about a tattoo that I want to get

jasoncitrano said:
I'm there at the IL campus to, Iheartturbo is in the pm classes and i'm in the AM classes.

I'm not sure how he likes it but I honestly think it could be alot better.

I'll bring up some points about it.

A. Theres not enough lab time, or hands on time.
B. Some of the instructors are dicks, big time.
C. Classes are only 15 days long, so if you like it, it sucks cuz it's over fast but if you hate it, it's also over fast.
D. They have alot of stupid rules, most of which people never even follow.
E. um, what else here, ask us whatever questions you have about the place. :boring:

Would UTI be a good start point in the direction of opening up your own speed shop with more experience? I am going to open a shop someday but im just not sure about how to do it.

Also how's the dynotune portion of the course? That's the main reason i want to go so that i can really learn to tune with different types of engine managment.

I'm starting AZ campus may 16th... I be down there April 25th just got our housing situation figured out... 4 bedroom house here I come :p

Also I was wondering how much $$$ people are making after finishing the UTI program (and which program did you do)

They dont teach you to dyno tune your car at all. The only thing they have that is tuneable is an afc on a sohc civic. (Glendale Heights campus)

swing lo said:
Are you serious? #### a sohc civic with an afc. Man that kinda makes me wonder if all the campuses have some b.s like that.

The AZ Campus was really nice when I went to visit, they have 2 dynos setup (no AWD though) and they had a riced out civic on the dyno which was kind of dissapointing, but there were tons of v8's everywhere that were put into small hotrods that you have to build yourself my tour person was saying, seems pretty pimp. Can't wait.

Go wyo-tech.
I have friends that are UTI graduates the say its short for un-trained idiots. After not finding jobs, they (3 of them) headed up to the wyoming,laramie wyotech. As soon as they graduated they had job offers up the wazzoo. Check all of your options before settleing ok? There is VC tech, wyo-tech and UTI probably some more but those seem to be the most prevalant.

Also I was wondering how much $$$ people are making after finishing the UTI program (and which program did you do)

i didnt goto uti but i am a honda tech and i work with a couple houston uti grads. they seem toi have mixed feelings about it..but the acronym is universal i guess cause they always say it. ive been at my job for a little while and weve had a couple guys come and go, but witht the exception of a couple they seem undertrained. but i hear that at least the houston school they have excelent job placement. and pay also depends on were you go. the dealership i work at in lafayette louisiana starts uti grads off at 11.50 flag hour (our bmw techs start higher i belive,my dealership is honda,bmw, and mercedes) but in houston ive heard of grads starting off at closer to 20 an hour all depends on were you go and who the job placement guy is.

I'll be attending the campus in Exton, PA starting September. I've been there twice and the campus is really nice; practically brand new. They have two dynos (no AWD :( ) and the first time I went they had the new GTO strapped in but they didn't run it. I also notice 2 1g's there so hopefully me and my buddy who are going won't be the only DSM'ers. All in all, it seems like a good school and I'm looking foward to it. Any1 else attending the Exton campus?

dis_ill_usion said:
one con that I know of that affects me and I am not even there yet is that you can have no visible tattoo's. I have so many tattoo's that I want to get but I can't because they would be on my arms and whatnot. it sucks :notgood:

When I talk about tattoo's that I want to get there is always the same convo. that goes on every time I talk about it...

Me: I want to get this tattoo right here.

Person: That would be sweet, why don't you get it?

Me: I would but I am going to be going to UTI

Person: What does that have to do with it?

Me: One of their rules are that you have to be professional, and that means you can not have any visible tattoo's

Person: oh, that sucks

Me: Yeah, I know

That is almost the exact convo. that happens every time I talk about a tattoo that I want to get

What you don't understand is it's not just some stupid UTI rule. These are rules set by the manufacturers. They don't want tatoos on there techs, and since they are the ones that will be hiring you, it makes a lot of sense to listen to them.

I am starting to hear more and more good things about wyotech and more negative stuff about UTI.

I guess the only way a person can learn to dyno tune imports or any car for that matter is to go to a speed shop and either try to get a job their or volunteer your help.

Dude i have 7 Tattoos, they don't care at all, and mine are visable. I'm friends with this guy who's got both arm's covered in tattoos like a sleeve. I was never even talked to about it once. They never even told me about that rule, tons of kids have tattoos they don't care. As for the manufactures caring or not just wear long sleeves the day of the interview...LOL duh...

All and all the school is decent I guess, I want to also one day have my own shop becuase i love working on the performance aspect of cars. What i plan to do is attend another college after this to get a degree in something as a back up plan or also to help open my business one day.

I don't really feel like the grad's are under-trained the issue really is they don't provide us with enough experience in the field. They teach us everything from the books and alot of stuff from the hands on, but we could definitly use some more of a few things. Like tips, some common problems, what to do in certain situations, how a dealership works, how small shop's work and stuff like that.

I paid 21,000 for it too. You'll see once you get here you do learn alot and you learn even more in the dealership programs you just have to work hard and pay attention.

But on a side note, they don't care whatsoever about tattoo's trust me

I go to the glendale heights, ill. campus too. I'm surprised i don't even remember seein ur car out there iheartturbo. maybe i have just never noticed.. oh well.

But yea, I like the school. I've been going for 3 months now and i've learned a lot more than i did when i went to college for a full year. Sure it seems like a lot of money, but i've noticed all the time that there are shops always wanting to hire techs. I have no clue about how the job placement cuz i haven't experienced it and im not gonna talk about it because of that, but I have heard of a person just graduating from UTI, not the Msat programs (manufacturers graduate programs) going out and making up to $18 an hour starting at a local dealership here in kenosha.

Oh, and I haven't heard ONE word about tattoos either. now maybe if you had your face covered.... But for the most part their rules are cake. "UTI shirt, boots, and nametag" and that's about it. They just want it to be like a shop or dealership setting so you learn how it is.

They could teach us more im sure, like all the tricks the instructors have come across, the common things and whatnot, but really... are the employers honestly expecting some master tech out of a brand new recently graduated entry level tech? No, they're expecting a person that has an eagerness to learn and do their best that has an excellent educational background in the field. But yea, I do think they should have one class specifically about working in a shop or dealership.. I thought they made one, or were talking about somethign similar.... I dunno, not sure.

It's a pretty fun place to be tho. I like my friends here, but most of em could care less when i wanna talk about my talon or wanna race it.. but at school i've got plenty of friends who all they wanna do is talk about, work on, or race cars.

foreverinvayne said:
But yea, I do think they should have one class specifically about working in a shop or dealership.. I thought they made one, or were talking about somethign similar.... I dunno, not sure.
Yeah, they do. It was just started within the last couple months so not everyone has to take it.

foreverinvayne said:
I like my friends here, but most of em could care less when i wanna talk about my talon or wanna race it.. .
You need to hang out with me and my roommate then. We're all about DSMs! :thumb:

I'm going to be attending the Houstan, Texas campus for autobody in January. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the class and they seem really helpful with my career after I graduate. They find me a job, all I have to do is show up and if i need to learn new stuff about a car, I can learn it down there for free. If anyone is headed down there in January im me as I can know someone before i get there.

I will be attending the glendale UTI in July. wondering if anybody knows of any Rugby clubs in the area?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back