The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Any DSM people have experience with GATES water pump's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippyman87

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2005
centerville, Ohio
I am in the process of getting parts together for a timing belt replacement on my 97 gsx. I am buying the parts from Extreme Psi but they have a GATES water pump for 50 dollars seen here

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - Gates Replacement Water Pump: Mitsubishi Eclipse 90-99

They do offer a OEM as well for 156.00 seen here

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - OEM Water Pump Assembly : Mitsubishi Eclipse 90-99

I know most people will just say oem because its a mitsu part. If I can save the 100 dollars to put something else onto my car I would love to. Has anyone out there used the Gates water pump without problems? Happy Holidays!!

I am familiar with the gates name, but i am not familiar with their water pump per say. Gates is a decent aftermarket company and id say if they are offering a lifetime warranty with the pump id say go ahead. But if you can afford it i would buy the oem.

Not trying to bash but I always had a issue with gates belts but never realy had a problem with the water pump.Always just went to napa and got a water pump so shouldn't be a issue to run one, just don't run straight water in your coolant and it should last.

I've never had any issues with any of there products aside from One time about 100miles after doing a H/G, water pump, etc on a local guys car...

The Front Freaze plug somehow on the pump managed to pop out just picked up a new plug tapped it in an the car hasn't had any issues since.

Aside from the one time I've used plenty of there products an never had any issues...

I've had a gates water pump on my car now for about 6 months with no issues. Good bang for the buck.

I'm using a gates timing belt and water pump. No issues with either.

Good deal. The only reason I bring this up is because I received mine and the wheel looks different then the napa one i bought awhile back. Its not an open designed wheel, it has a plate on the front of it.

You know, I had a Gates water pump on my original 6 bolt build in my red car and it did great. However, now that I've just finished building the old 6 bolt in it I had bought a new pump for the build and this new pump is making annoying bearing noises on occasion, so I don't know if I just got incredibly unlucky and got a lemon (doing another timing job is not something I would be looking forward to doing after 3 in two months...).

I'll try to update this as I break-in the engine in my '98.

For future readers. There is absolutely no reason to get an aftermarket waterpump when oem is only $50.

For future readers. There is absolutely no reason to get an aftermarket waterpump when oem is only $50.

Why don't you 'enlighten' us all then where one can buy an OEM AISIN water pump for $50 then?

This is a old thread but since it was bumped and it provided some bad and misleading information I feel as though I should post some corrections.

Gates is the manufacturer of many OEM belts along with Beck Arnley. The normal black gates belt is a OEM belt, in fact I believe the actual mitsu belts are the same ones. If I remember right when you scratch off the mitsu name on the belts it says gates. I used their Kevlar (blue) belt for 60k and their black one for 10k so far.

As for the Gates water pump, it is different because it was redesigned on later 4g63 motors. I've been using it for 10k as well. Gates does not produce garbage, they are literally one of the best along with Beck Arnley. If you have a problem with their products it's likely because YOU did something wrong.

As for Gates tensioners, I've never tried them and don't know anyone who has. But as far as I know they are close but not the same and the ones they would be producing now would likely be off late model Hyundais that used the 4g63 motor, I could be wrong but it's my best guess. I would probably stick with OEM just because there are too many bad stories with aftermarket tensioners.

For the pulleys. I've used OEM for 60k, PCI for 60k and Gates for 10k.The PCI pulleys came off working totally fine and would have probably been fine for another 60k miles but i replaced them anyway because they are cheap. But the PCI kit normally comes with a blue gates belt for 150 dollars. I bought my first kit back in 2009 and now in 2015 it's the same price.

This is a old thread but since it was bumped and it provided some bad and misleading information I feel as though I should post some corrections.
As for the Gates water pump, it is different because it was redesigned on later 4g63 motors. I've been using it for 10k as well. Gates does not produce garbage, they are literally one of the best along with Beck Arnley. If you have a problem with their products it's likely because YOU did something wrong.

Really? Then how about you explain to me how a bearing on a water pump goes bad on startup?
Get off the bandwagon and realize china-made products can be bad. Many have had great luck and success with running Gates everything (as had I in regards to a water pump), that doesn't change the FACT that my water pump's bearing is bad out of the box, whether you choose to believe or not is your own choice and ignorance. This thread is meant to be a collection of experiences from members.

And the only bad and misleading information is what you're spewing in your post, not to mention completely off topic.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a full gates kit. It's consideally cheaper than an oem from extreme psi. I hope others will chime in so I can make a decision quick.

While we are basing opinions off personal experiences instead of the overall experiences with the products I will go out and say OEM sucks. The only failures I've ever had with timing components have been OEM. A belt that was manufactured poorly and was slightly too small to fit at all (Confirmed by English Racing) and a OEM timing belt that failed at 10,000 miles because of a seized OEM water pump on my friends car. But we all know that is stupid and that OEM is usually extremely reliable. But hey we are going with personal experiences instead of the actual statistical facts aren't we?

I've used Gates stuff for years on more builds than I can count, and have never had a single issue. Water pumps, timing components, timing belts, drive belts...Everything. My current car has all Gates components/belts; all of which are listed in my profile.

If you have a problem with their products it's likely because YOU did something wrong.
Agreed. Although, it's not outside the realm of possibility to have a bad part out of the box.

Really? Then how about you explain to me how a bearing on a water pump goes bad on startup?
Get off the bandwagon and realize china-made products can be bad. Many have had great luck and success with running Gates everything (as had I in regards to a water pump), that doesn't change the FACT that my water pump's bearing is bad out of the box, whether you choose to believe or not is your own choice and ignorance. This thread is meant to be a collection of experiences from members.
I suspect a bearing bad enough to make noise after zero miles could have probably been identified before it was installed. In addition, the side-load the belt tension puts on the impeller shaft would cause a leak, since the shaft would have little to no bearing support. So if it's not leaking, your pump may not be the issue. Lastly, the bearing either is bad and makes noise, or it doesn't. I've never seen a $hitty bearing make noise intermittently. There are a lot of things that can make bad bearing noises, so I'd verify the pump is actually bad before you come to any conclusions.

Google it. Amazon. Rockauto. They're everywhere. Just do your own homework.
Or, since you saw fit to comment, you could grace us all with a link to said water pump. You damn sure aren't getting one from the dealer for that price. JNZ lists it for $150+, so I'd like to see this $50 dollar OEM pump of yours. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find a Gates pump for $50 bucks.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a full gates kit. It's consideally cheaper than an oem from extreme psi. I hope others will chime in so I can make a decision quick.
I've purchased the complete 1G kit numerous times. All quality parts. You'll need to purchase the hydraulic tensioner of your choice seperately. The Gates hydraulic tensioner is a quality piece as well.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=295559&cc=1205570

*(2G part number TCK167A)

Last edited:
Or, since you saw fit to comment, you could grace us all with a link to said water pump. You damn sure aren't getting one from the dealer for that price. JNZ lists it for $150+, so I'd like to see this $50 dollar OEM pump of yours. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find a Gates pump for $50 bucks.

Here

And? I didn't see an OEM pump? I saw a pump on Amazon that claims to be Aisin, yet doesn't bear any of the markings or design similarities as the true OEM pump. Maybe if you would quit being a smart ass and provide a link to the pump you're specifically talking about, we could stop wasting time here.

Below is an example of what an OEM pump looks like...In case you haven't ever seen one.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Aisin makes the OEM water pump, the one sold as Aisin (i.e. by Rockauto) has the Aisin logo filed off. But it is exactly the same as the OEM pump, I have both and set them aside for comparison. I just recently installed a Gates complete kit including the water pump and Hydraulic tensioner, I did not run the car long enough to be able and vouch for it though. The water pump seal did squeal when I tested it manually before mounting the accessories belts, but did not squeal on start up or when the motor is running. I'm not so sure Gates makes the OEM timing belt but they seem to be recognized as a reputable replacent anyway, I did do a timing job on my car when I blew the HG because while the belt only had 30k miles on it, I already reused it once and the car had beeen sitting for a total of 8 years in two stretches of 4 years each since. The belt did not show any significant wear or crack.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back