The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Any boat savy guys on here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanwheat

DSM Wiseman
Aug 16, 2004
Columbia, Missouri
I am looking for a little information on boat trailers. I bought an 88 bayliner capri 21 foot boat for a very cheap price but the trailer that it came on is for some different type of boat. The step on the back is at head height and the back of the boat is about a foot taller than my head. It is a decent sized boat, but real big. Because the boat sits so high on the trailer the thing is dangerously top heavy. I lost one of the tires in a ditch and it almost went over. Luck for me it didn't. It also has slightly more weight behind the wheels than it does in front of the wheels so there is no load on the tongue at all. You actually have to push the tongue down to hook it up. If you don't put blocks under the end of the trailer it will literally flip over backwards. This trailer also has rubber rollers on the bottom as where most fiberglass boats don't have that.

I am going to try any find a more correct trailer for it before i even attempt to take it to the river. I am basically wanting to know if there is like a certain type of trailer that is for say a 21 foot bowrider style boat that is x feet wide, or is the trailer completely custom to the boat.

Most boat trailers are adjustable, and for the most part universal. It sounds to me like you just have way too small of a trailer for your boat.

It is looking like it is for a flat bottom boat. the supports that go left to right are straight as where the trailers on the type of boat i have are rounded so that the bottom of the boat can sit lower.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 46
I am thinking about one by one replacing the supports so that they dip down further, rebuilding the winch support, lowering the fenders and than removing the rollers. The boat would then sit about 2 foot further forward a about a foot lower or even more. The trailer is physically long enough and wide enough, so it should work out. I just found out that the axle location is adjustable. There is a outer channel held to the frame with u bolts. This channel has the leaf spring mounts welded to it.

Last edited:
Forgot to post an interior pic of this thing. It has been stored inside it's whole life, up untill the end of last summer when it sat outside for a while with a cover. This thing is rediculously clean. I havn't even wiped the grime off the seats yet, just a quick vacuum.

Attachments

• boat inside.jpg
    boat inside.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 46
The boat is too wide and long of a boat for that trailer (its not the original trailer) the transom should sit flush with the back of the trailer boards. The trailer is built for a V bottom boat though. One other thing is the boat isn't drawn tight to the winch post with the winch. What is the max capacity/weight on the trailer tag (it does have a tandem axle though)? And what is the manufacture weight of the boat? It looks very dangerous to tow. And I'm pretty sure if you get pulled over they are not going to let that fly on the road. Interior looks real clean for that age of boat though. Bayliners in the late 80s to early 90s had a good amount if issues one being that they weren't balanced very well, light in the bow and heavy in the stern and look for pressure cracks in the hull also they had weak/thin hulls.

Last edited:
The boat is too wide and long of a boat for that trailer (its not the original trailer) the transom should sit flush with the back of the trailer boards. The trailer is built for a V bottom boat though. One other thing is the boat isn't drawn tight to the winch post with the winch. What is the max capacity/weight on the trailer tag (it does have a tandem axle though)? And what is the manufacture weight of the boat? It looks very dangerous to tow. And I'm pretty sure if you get pulled over they are not going to let that fly on the road. Interior looks real clean for that age of boat though. Bayliners in the late 80s to early 90s had a good amount if issues one being that they weren't balanced very well, light in the bow and heavy in the stern and look for pressure cracks in the hull also they had weak/thin hulls.

I am aware that it isn't the original trailer, it is an 83 and the boat is a 89. The reason that the boat isn't winched all the way forward is because there is a rollor on the trailer that prevents it from going all the way forward. The boat measures 20 foot and the trailer is a 20 footer. You would be surprised that the trailers for these things that i have found are actually narrower than the one that i have, but they are deeper so that the boat sits way lower. The boat is somewhat light for it's size at around 2800 lbs . Every one that i have found online uses a smaller single axle trailer for this same boat. I have no intention of pulling this thing anywhere else the way it is.

Last edited:
Well after finding some frame damage on this trailer (after i spent 150 bucks on steel) i have decided to sell this thing to someone else that has more money than i. Can't find any trailer that might possibly fit it for under 1500.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back