The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Any artists on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTnKC

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2003
KansasUS
Well Ive been drawing cars for about the last 2-3 years or so. Basicly since i got into cars and am looking to go into transportation design when I get out of high school(junior now (17)). Now Im currently taking classes with Lee Hammond, a local artist in KC who has published numerous books and is a offical Nascar artist does alot of work with them and the list goes on, in order to get better at my drawings. So to the real point of this thread, For the last couple of years all my drawings have basicly been in pencil and Im now wanting to go into different mediums, mainly wanting to start with markers and then later down the road some painting. So has anybody had any sort of experiece with the prismacolor markers or AD chartpak markers and which ones you think are better? Ive herd both are very good but just wanted to ask someone whos used them before.

Also anyone have an opinion on Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA or Academy of Art University in San Francisco, CA? So far those are the 2 major colleges Im looking at after I get some transferable credits out of the way. Ya I know the art center would be extremely hard to get into.

Matt-

I drew a little in high school, but I haven't really lately. Hopefully I'll pick it up again this summer. I mostly worked with pencil (graphite and colored). I do have a set of Prismacolor markers though. And I think that they work very nicely. Their color is real nice and matches up with their pencils. You can combine marker and pencil for a nice multimedia effect. The markers blend really nicely. Just experiment with them to discover all of the effects you can do. I wish I would have discovered the markers for some earlier stuff I did. I don't have any experience with the other brand you mentioned. But I give a big :thumb: to the Prismacolors...By the by, what's wrong with the old Crayola eight pack??? :p

art center is good school for the car thing. i go to the art institute of Orange County. AI doesnt have anything to do with cars so dont look there unless you want to 3d model it than go ahead. but you should go to the art center for that. saturn and suzuki are the main companies that work with that the art center.

Pen & ink with airbrush. Oh, and that's a real Hunt's hawk quill dip-pen, none of that sissy Rapidograph stuff. I'd been at it about four years when I did this one.

I'm partial to the school in SF, but mostly because I like it up here more than down there. I never had any classes.

More here

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56466&page=1&pp=25

Attachments

• d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 232
ya im probally gonna wind up getting some prismacolor markers mainly because i dont have to order them online. Plus I was playing around with them in art and they seemed pretty good.

I am a professional graphic designer and I swear by Tria markers. They are made by Pantone, and if you know anything about inks, you know that is a good thing. That also means if you print using Pantone inks, your markers will match your prints. They are more expensive, but they are also refillable. Seriously, buy one and check it out. Just my .02

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=1898

ya Ill definitely try those out. Compared to the prisma color ones i just bought there only $ .60 more than what I paid at Micheals ( bought there so i could try them out and get a grasp of it before i step up the the high grade markers). Cant wait to start working with them , all I have to do is finish up this pic im doing of 2 superbikes going into a slight turn with prisma colord pencils witch I will never waist my money on again. To waxy , next time I go into colord pencils Ill probally pick up some that my art teacher (Hammond) is coming out with. She was saying that hers would be less waxy so they would be easier to blend with. Then I can start on this 300zx with the markers I bought and then for the background probally go back with colord pencils for the graffiti wall. Should look really good.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

heres a superbike picture I just finished

I have better pics than these but they are age inappropriate so I wont post, This car is my first attempt, I love drawing anime so I get more practice at that. No school just a doodler. As a doodler none of my shit is complete, I do it when I get a chance

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back