The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Any advice for tuning a totally stock 2g talon tsi awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninja07

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2009
antioch, Tennessee
I am a big time newbie. I've read alot of stuff about these cars and tuning them. However I still seem lost. Can someone give me a layout or plan to go by. I just don't know where to start. My car runs fine right now and I drive it everyday. All is good and timing belt is up to date until next time. My goals are simple, I want a reliable street build that will fly. My goal horsepower is in the 300 to 350 range. I've read about the dsmlink-v3, would this be my first step or should I start somewhere else. No sense in re-inventing the wheel, hoped I could get some useful advice from experienced dsm-ers. Thanks, & keep it safe.

If you are already talking about logging and dsmlink you are heading in the right direction. you have to protect your investment.

Yeah i would invest in dsmlink or some sort of datalogging. That was my orignal plan untill the stock 7bolt crankwalked. I would also invest in getting your balance shafts removed. Easy upgrades are fmic ( I have been using dejontool's for awhile and im very satisfied ) also a 1g or some sort of bov, turbo upgrade. Just take is slow and by quality parts not ebay junk that will break.

if u have the money i would definetly get v3 its the best bang for ## buck. aalso atleast do hard piping and a 1g bov. try to get away from that t25 if possible atleast get a 14b if not a 16g. and if v3 is not in ## wallet range right now get safc2 or something.

We have on this site a good, logical upgrade path laid out for you already, here. It's certainly not gospel, but is sound advice. I'd suggest buying a wideband o2 setup and logging software earlier, as opposed to adding it in 'Stage 2' as recommended in the upgrade paths, and I think a number of folks would agree. There's no right answer to your question, but the guide will give you a decent look at what's possible.

Everyone tackles upgrades in a different way, and you'll wish you had purchased X instead of Y at some point, so a lot of it comes down to economics vs patience. You know where you want to be power-wise, so start researching what it takes to get there and you'll be happier than if you just start buying what everybody, including me, tells you to LOL.

Thanks alot guys, I've checked out some upgrade paths and your advice is golden to one who is new to this. I've built a few hot rods in my day, but this stuff is a new science to me. I'm used to eyeballin and listening with old carbs and raw linkage. I know what I need to get started on-----------overtime at work so I can buy a piece two-----LOL-----This computer and sensor stuff is crazy.....

hahaha yea it takes time to get used to but u can make crazy power with it. im a hot roder to i have a 68 fastback mustang. but the 4g63 is a relativly cheap power plant to make excelent power with.

well good luck in your upgrades, the real question would be how much $$$ is your budget?

that will make a good perspective on what are your best options within your price range

Let me know how the modding goes. Not sure where I should start. I'm in pretty much the same boat. I just picked up a bone stock woman owned 96 GS-t never modded. She was pretty good on the servicing too. I can't wait.

This will actually be my second DSM. I bought a 90 TSI back in 94. I was young and broke as a joke though so I had no money to tune. Also parts were pretty limited back then. Did I love that car though. 15 years later and I bought another!!! Funny stuff

i have dsmlink v2 and had dsmlink v2.5 and i like them both and can't complain about either, as i never and probly never will do the gm mafT anyways.

on your stock engine a mild 1g turbo and cams with dsmlink could yeild a peppy start for your goal for relitively cheap, although, for thos HP#'s you'll most likely be buying a comparable turbo size of the 16g. just to keep the compressor in it's effeciency range.

is your car a auto or stick?

mine is an auto gsx and i dread when i recieve all my parts having to pull the old gigantic cherry, for the new one to go back in.

Hey, Im right down the road from you in smyrna. I have a 1ga, my friend just bought a 1ga and there is another 1ga in antioch. If you wanna get together some time let me know. We need to get a meet going.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back