The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Antenna adapter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidleyNoah

Proven Member
Jul 3, 2014
Redondo Beach, California
I just installed a 2 din Kenwood dvd receiver and my radio reception was really bad. I sent an email to Kenwood asking them if they knew what the problem could be.
In the meantime I took everything apart and wrapped all wires in electrical tape thinking they could be causing interference.
Sure enough, that was the issue, problem fixed.
I received an email response from Kenwood today and they said for me to make sure I have the proper antenna adapter for my car make and model. I obviously have fixed the problem but why would I need an adapter? Antenna cable just plugs into the back of the unit. Am I missing something here?

No, you're not missing anything. certain cars require an adapter because the factory antenna isn't the same as the aftermarket radio or most earlier cars.

I am curious how your connections were done, as it would take a considerable amount of a/c noise to get through the antenna shielding, and tape really shouldn't have done much.

Did you make sure to attach the power antenna wire for the vehicle? and is this a 1g or 2g?

2g. The few soldered connections I had (antenna control, power control, ignition, battery and ground) have heat shrink. Speakers are rca to amp. Same with subwoofer. I also have a back up camera cable.

I think taping everything up just kept the wiring from bunching around the antenna cable. Not sure but it went from having almost no reception on stations that I used to get real well on my previous kenwood 1 din to having the same reception as I did before.

They just gave you a standard general response. Some cars require an antenna adapter because it has a different plug(with or without a diversity antenna.)

Cars with diversity antennas have dual antennas(windshield and mast). The factory radio, switches between the two using the one with the best reception.

Our cars dont have a diversity antenna so you dont have to worry about anything. Its strange that you had interference, as the antenna cable is heavily shielded. If anything I think you had a ground loop issue or something.

They just gave you a standard general response. Some cars require an antenna adapter because it has a different plug(with or without a diversity antenna.)

Cars with diversity antennas have dual antennas(windshield and mast). The factory radio, switches between the two using the one with the best reception.

Our cars dont have a diversity antenna so you dont have to worry about anything. Its strange that you had interference, as the antenna cable is heavily shielded. If anything I think you had a ground loop issue or something.
What could cause a ground loop issue?

Anything and everything.... Here is an easy read on the subject. This is one of the basic trouble shooting issues with audio. Im suprised you never heard of ground loops.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FyYS41...car/noise_suppressors_installation_guide.html
Good read. I've heard of ground loops, just never knew what it was as I've never had this problem before. I have a separate ground wire from the stereo chassis to the car body. I also used the stock radio brackets. One of the four stock mounting holes on the console (top left hole) is part of the car chassis (metal backed). I noticed that when I originally had the interference problem it was worse with that screw in (when it grounded the stereo bracket to car chassis).

Our cars DO have diversity antennas. You can buy a Y adapter and an adapter to increase the size of the diversity portion to mate with the Y adapter. I did this and increased my reception dramatically. I never even put my mast up anymore.

Thats a first I'm hearing about this. I've never seen the second antenna plug any of the 2g I've owned. Researching has told me it is a factory option, so not cars are equipped with it. Also it was said the second(rear hatch glass) antenna worked mediocre at best so....We are back to only needing the single standard antenna.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wh...r-window-antenna-merged-8-8-diversity.303116/
Yeah, not sure about that either. Mine only has the single antenna lead.

The second lead is small and you would barely notice it if you weren't looking for it. My glass antenna works 2x as good as the mast, plus i don't have to keep replacing the mast because I never need to put it up and wear it out. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it works great for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back