The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Another RWD 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was everything alum?Could of been crackhead scrappers!Check the scrap yards.They would steal anything for a few bucks!Some were even cuttin cats of cars around by my neck of the woods.

Where I live, losing your cat on your car is standard procedure.

I have to ask, why live action axle? I read the other people that asked about it, but I have seen a narrowed ford 9" with a true IRS setup. It was done in a MK3 supra by an australian builder. IJ is his name on supramania. He has TONS of money into his supra, and right now is actually done away with the 7m and went to an LSx motor that is twin turbo'd. He narrowed a 9'' and made custom axles that bolt up to a narrowed axle shaft thats C clipped in. His car is truly amazing, and I used to follow his build progress when I was still messing with my MK3.

I do admire the work being done on this RWD job tho. Looks great, just cant say im a fan of the live axle 4 link setup in it.

SupraMania

Infact thats a link to some of this guys work. Just throwing it out there to maybe inspire some creative thought. I know I have drawn a ton of inspiration from both communities. From my first GSX to both my MK3 supra's to my current TSi AWD.

Live axle is the way to go for drag racing. IRS are more suitable for street purpose.

Live axle is the way to go for drag racing. IRS are more suitable for street purpose.

I have seen some amazing cars that were both live axle and IRS. IRS is just more prone to breaking as it has more parts.

Again, i think the work being done is great.

My opinion between going IRS or live axle depends on what type of racing will the car see, drag racing, road racing, or street. I first decided to go with IRS at the beginning when brainstorming the RWD conversion idea, but it takes a lot of modifications and fabrication to adapt a mustang IRS to a DSM, another route to go with less obstacles on the fabrication would be a Heidst Pro IRS which hold an aprox 600hp and comes in various track width, but the cost around 5k to 7k and is for road racing applications. The route Im going for is a street/track car so I want to retain the rear seats, and going with a four link rear suspension wont allow me to retain the rear seats, but going with a ladder bar rear suspension and live axle allows me to retain the rear seat and will give me an advantage at drag racing over an IRS. So it all depends on what type of racing will the car see, all of the DSMs using live axle are drag cars.

I hope all is still well with the build. :thumb:

Did he just give up on this build Paul? :( I was hoping for some updates since I'm planning on doing something similar in the next few years.

It sucks you guys arent working to much on the project... Im going hard on my 2G RWD conversion. I already bought the live axle assembly, the bellhousing, ordered the rear wheels and next week will order the Magnus v3 cast intake manifold. Next parts on the shopping list are the transmission, rear tires, and rear suspension. Then off to the chassis shop to mount the engine, transmission and live axle.

Any updates on the rwd build was amazed at the quality of your work Paul truly a testament to your skills. I have some projects ahead of me but nothing quite of this nature or magnitude hope the builds not dead.

i kinda want to put a 4g63t in a mustang and this thread just made me want to do it more

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back