The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Another "Last of the last..." :-(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@motomattx I'm a bit confused where you're coming from, since the RB series of engines debuted in the R31 Skyline in 1985 and the RB30, the only one to ever appear in an SUV, first appeared in the Skyline and Patrol SUV two years later but no part of the longblock is actually shared with the RB26. And the current GT-R shares its engine family only with the Skyline chassis and some dedicated racers. The contemporary V6 Tacoma shared an engine family with the Camry and ES 250 and 300. The first gen Tundra V6 and second gen Tacoma share their 1GR across 19 different applications and other GR engines found their way into nearly every vehicle in Toyota's lineup in the late 2000s. The JZ, M, and G weren't used in any trucks or SUVs but they did appear in a hell of a lot of various vehicles and-

Why are we talking about this again?
First I'm not talking about 35 year old Nissan products, I am talking about the last ten years or so, the Camry engine is not the same as the truck engine, we have had both in our driveway and they share a few things here or there but they are not the same engine, again your talking about decades old Toyota products here and I'm talking about the current lineup from the last ten years, the 2TR engine for example is only used in trucks/suv's not cars, sports cars, super cars. When Toyota needed a sports car engine, they built one, they didn't use something from a truck and hop it up and adapt the engine and call it good enough, they started from a blank slate. The VQ has been around for decades and is about the only V-6 that Nissan has, they just find new ways to incorporate it into other vehicles, that approach looks great to the bean counters I'm sure, but its the only thing that Nissan has going for it and they dont seem to be interested in investing in any new models. The VR series is not much different than the VQ series for that matter. In any event this thread is getting derailed and not staying on the original subject and should be taken to a new topic in a new thread for further discussion.

Last edited:
The shift cable bracket rubberized washers are MD723290 (x4), and are still available.
Tim, I'm curious - what is the purpose of bushings/isolators in this bracket? It seems it would function better as a solid bracket. What am I missing?

Tim, I'm curious - what is the purpose of bushings/isolators in this bracket? It seems it would function better as a solid bracket. What am I missing?
Probably the same as the shift cable rubber bushings and the shifter base rubber bushings.... all of which we have been running solid ones for 20+ years. Still, these specific ones I have typically used to mount the shift cable bracket on customer transmissions for many years.

There has to be something for a bushing if people are going to be shifting aggressively. Something will fail sooner or later, hence Mitsubishi's reasoning i would suspect was smoother shifter feel and better lifespan of moving components by using rubber bushings everywhere.

Probably the same as the shift cable rubber bushings and the shifter base rubber bushings.... all of which we have been running solid ones for 20+ years. Still, these specific ones I have typically used to mount the shift cable bracket on customer transmissions for many years.

There has to be something for a bushing if people are going to be shifting aggressively. Something will fail sooner or later, hence Mitsubishi's reasoning i would suspect was smoother shifter feel and better lifespan of moving components by using rubber bushings everywhere.
Right on.

I'd be interested in producing these brackets in bulk, but I'd want to eliminate the bushings. That would really help reduce the cost and production time. As long as there's generally no problems with going solid on this.

Nissan has proven that there is a market for a supercar, if Mitsubishi would bring back the 3000GT or the Evo and make them non electric/non hybrid I believe that they would be surprised at the market for them, the same with Toyota
Ironically, a new mid-engined 4B11 AWD Eclipse, which is perhaps the finest realistic showcase for very agile, affordable 400hp Mitsubishi Cayman - or Pantera for us oldsters - could also make a tremendous platform for a torque-vectoring electric system ala Mercedes. Even Jezza would approve. One very familiar chassis type, two winners.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back