The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Another camshaft identification thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
Never thought I'd need help in this area but these cams were sitting in my garage and was trying to see if I had cam seals that were new to replace my old ones. Pulled the seals off these (going over each lobe due to the cam gear that was installed) and after matching them up I went to put the new seals on MY cams. My cams are FFWD DKS3's which are basically HKS 280 regrinds. The seals just slipped right over my cams easily but was difficult to get over each lobe of these other cams below. So makes me wonder what they are. Are they stock? Something else? Not a camshaft expert so not really sure what measurements to be taking for the specs. I know the base circle is smaller on my cams so maybe that's why it was easier to get the seal off of it? Already searched here on the forums and Google. Y'all have any idea what they are?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Compared to my FFWD DKS3's.

And thickness of the washer that takes up for the smaller base circle.

I know the base circle is smaller on my cams so maybe that's why it was easier to get the seal off of it?
Yes, I think that's the case. More lift regrinds = Smaller diameter base circle. Because more material has to be removed from base circle of base cams.

Wondering how to tell which cams are larger when comparing regrinds, to non. My regrinds are back in my car though being that I don't know anything about the others.

At least you can approximately tell how much valve lift the set has by measuring cam lift number with a caliper. If that set is stock, IIRC the cam lift should probably be somewhere between 5.0~5.5mm. (Approx. 8.5mm~9.35 valve lift) It depends on which 4g63. Measure its base circle diameter and subtract that number from 1.378" (the number in the pic). That's would approximately be its cam lift number and the cam lift number multiplied by 1.7 would be its valve lift number.

I don't know if this is any help but I have a spreadsheet with cams

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back