The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Anohter Fuel pump question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspharris

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2005
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
I replaced the fuel pump with a Walbro 255 from my 1g that I used to have. The car now after sitting for awhile will crank and crank but not start. I can then stop and try to start it again and it starts right up. It runs fine after that and no problems until it sits for awhile. It did not do this when the stock pump was in there. Any ideas? I am stumped. Thank you, Keith. :thumb:

My other fuel rail is being modified for my Aeromotive. It is not installed yet.

You might want to check if the O-Ring on the fuel feed line is kinked.

From the "Evo fuel pump install (better than Walbro 190) on 2g AWD" tech guide

wufei said:
Connect the connector(s). Be careful when putting the pump up into the fuel feed line - the rubber O-ring should be lubed with some grease, oil, or spit (hey, it works) so that the O-ring slips easily into the feed line. If it does not, the O-ring can kink or tear, and the car will be hard to start after sitting a few minutes, as the kinked/torn O-ring will allow the fuel to bleed out of the feed lines. The symptom will be that the car will take several seconds to start after sitting more than a minute or 2, but starts right up if you turn it off and then immediately start it back up.

I will most likely check that but do not see how that is causeing the problem. Thank you and any more ideas?

Do this. Turn the ignition on but do not start the car. This will turn the pump on. Once the pump turns off by itself then turn the ignition back off for about 10 seconds. Repeat one more time. Now try to start it. If it starts after this but not when you first try to crank it as you stated then it has a fuel pressure drop problem. Let me know if this makes the car start or not and I will help you from there.

Thanks 1992AWDlaser I will give it a shot tonight before I go home and get back to you tomorrow. If I try it now it will start right away because it has not been sitting for very long. Thanks for the help and I will get back to you, Keith.

Same thing happened to me first time installing my 255. It WAS the oring......it was kinked and let the fuel leak by it and wouldn't build enough pressure in the rail.

Pull the pump back out

Fix the oring or cut off the bonnet and connect the pump to the sending unit with hi pressure fuel line

Reinstall.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back