The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Altered Mental Status(1G AWD 5spd)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last pieces of the puzzle have arrived. These legitimately just fell into my lap, and I got them for a steal! They’re mint condition and included all the clips and the screws. So happy with this. Huge shoutout to @MacMarty15221 ! Thank you my friend.

IMG_4455.jpeg

So happy to throw these bad boys on. More parts coming next week or the week after. Stoked!

Today was a simple, but good day. The valvecover has been curing for awhile, and it's finally toughening up enough to cinch it down with the bolts. :)

VC Installed (1).jpg

VC Installed (2).jpg

All torqued down to "barely-f**king-tight" in/lbs and looking great. That heatshield needs to go and those pipes need to be addressed but alas...later...

While I was there, I'm gonna go ahead and pop the spark plug boots on and throw the spark plug cover on. Not tightened down because I'm waiting on bolts for it, but man. That combined with the zaklee clear cover just completes it. The engine bay still needs a few things like being fully degreased and pressure washed, but you can still see the progress.

VC Installed (4).jpg

VC Installed (5).jpg

Definitely need to pull the driver's side mount and clean/paint it, and degrease everything. That's starting to bug the shit out of me. LOL

But, man. This thing has come a long way. Here's a nice before and after.

Original Engine Bay.jpg

VC Installed (4).jpg

Before: Terrible green paint that's flaking off and rusting underneath, no-name eBay manifold and chinesium wastegate with no vent tube. Terrible POS slim-fans that weren't cooling anything, and the clear cover was so dirty it looked like an OEM unit.

After. Clean! Nice and stripped all the rust and painted with 900* brake caliper paint. OEM 2G Exhaust manifold and o2 housing, FP Green w/ internal gate, oem heatshielding, oem beast-mode cooling fan, 2G MAF w/ Dejon Intake pipe(also painted w/ same paint as VC), and an actual see-through cam cover! What you can't see is the VC bolt threads I repaired w/ helicoil, and the cam cap bolts I tightened down that were legit finger tight.

More work will come in the coming days, and I've decided to get a local beastly fab guy to fab me up some custom IC pipes so I can keep the OEM A/C fan and they'll look great too. But regardless, more work to come.

The cherry on top, was this. These were the last pieces of the interior puzzle/scavenger hunt, and with them...the interior is finally complete. Every trim piece, every panel, everything. Looks like a stock DSM inside now.

B Pillar Driver.jpg

B Pillar Passenger.jpg

Life is good. I got a little more parts coming this week, but next week and the weeks after...that's when the fun begins. :D

Appreciate the hell out of yall and everyone who was helped me with parts or encouraging words. If I see you at the shootout or you're nearby and the car is running feel free to take me up on a ride in it. :)

Ordered a couple more things. I'll spoil one of them and the other one of them I'll only say I'm changing the intake manifold. Fairly excited for this too. I think they'll match well together. The first thing is a brand new ECMLink V3 chip from ECMTuning brand spankin' new from the source. Which is nice, because I've been on the Link forums for years using a friend's account but now I'll finally be there under my Tuners/Talk username. Woo.

Now all that's left is to put the exhaust on, fix a few wires at the ECU, toss a battery in, tighten everything and fill everything with the proper fluids and start it. Terrifying how close I am!

This came today courtesy of @saturn345. Huge shoutout to him, he just threw this my way! Amazing.

IMG_4470.jpeg

I had one of these on my 1G back in the day, and love them. So I immediately installed it.

IMG_4472.jpeg
IMG_4473.jpeg

God that looks so good. I’ll trade the couple degree engine bay heat for how good it looks all day. I swear this looks just like my old one. Even has the slight crack on the left corner. I sold it like 12+ years ago so who knows…

Either way, looking so much better. One step at a time. :)

This came today courtesy of @saturn345. Huge shoutout to him, he just threw this my way! Amazing.

View attachment 698309

I had one of these on my 1G back in the day, and love them. So I immediately installed it.

View attachment 698310View attachment 698311

God that looks so good. I’ll trade the couple degree engine bay heat for how good it looks all day. I swear this looks just like my old one. Even has the slight crack on the left corner. I sold it like 12+ years ago so who knows…

Getting rid of that green just next leveled your build! 🤘🤘🤘

Getting rid of that green just next leveled your build! 🤘🤘🤘

Agreed! Next step is pressure washing the engine bay, and then pulling off everything that's rusty/oxidized and re-painting/re-finishing it. The CAS, the fuel rail, the brackets for the throttle cable, and a few other odds and ends are all at the top of my list. The intercooler pipes are gonna be thrown away and fresh new quality IC pipes are gonna be fabbed up so not gonna bother with them. The rest should come clean with a good wash. The brake booster I'll mask off around it and just sand/plasti-dip it.

But yes! Thank you my friend! :D :)

View attachment 698309

View attachment 698310View attachment 698311

I’m not gonna lie Corey, that took me a sec, I thought I was looking at some weird ass oven control thing until I scrolled down! Lmao

That shield looks good on there. Glad it went some where to be used. Versus collecting dust.

Definitely gonna be used and appreciated forever. I regret selling mine all those years ago, so it's good to have it back!

Quick update: I officially booked the appointment with my local fabricator to do the Talon's intercooler pipes. I'm gonna keep the OEM cooling AND A/C fans, and he does incredible work too. JDM-R Performance is the company. I'm excited. It's just what the Talon needs and it'll really set it off.

Also discovered another 1G Turbo DSM in my area through this guy. It's a FWD that they're gonna AWD swap in July. It's a black 1GA Laser! But yeah. Exciting.

Quick update: I officially booked the appointment with my local fabricator to do the Talon's intercooler pipes. I'm gonna keep the OEM cooling AND A/C fans, and he does incredible work too. JDM-R Performance is the company. I'm excited. It's just what the Talon needs and it'll really set it off.

Also discovered another 1G Turbo DSM in my area through this guy. It's a FWD that they're gonna AWD swap in July. It's a black 1GA Laser! But yeah. Exciting.
An awd swapped 1G seems like quite the undertaking. I’d like to follow that build too!

An awd swapped 1G seems like quite the undertaking. I’d like to follow that build too!

It's JDM-R Performance on Facebook. Guys name is Rob Watson. It's a SUPER clean Laser.

_nc_ohc=RKjUCyOIORkAX81XjOp&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=_BScXjNmnzgAX88OHe6&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=9mCqUfwqBr8AX_eTbbb&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

His and mine are going to look VERY similar. I think he modeled it after the AMS Talon. The owner of the Laser owns a shop here locally which is cool. But yeah, super clean. Once we meet up in person I'll take more pics and get more info. I'll try to get him to make a Tuners build thread.

I vote restore it to silver with red lettering!

I actually thought about that. The OEM color is more like a champagne and red, but I think I'm gonna go with a more silver/aluminum base and candy-red lettering. Just for giggles.

I actually thought about that. The OEM color is more like a champagne and red, but I think I'm gonna go with a more silver/aluminum base and candy-red lettering. Just for giggles.
Oooh, what about black with candy red letters!?

I like the red with silver letters, cause I’m a GVR4 fan boy, tho the “2000” series covers don’t come that way. A 1G would look age appropriate with champagne with red letters.

Am I silly to want to yank these BC Stage 2’s out for a set of HKS 272s? They’re the updated 268/272 cams from BC but idk. I just like the HKS better.

But the timing belt would have to come completely off and all that fun stuff. Seems like backward progress. If anyone has any experience with the new/updated BC Stage 2’s I’d love to hear it.

Am I silly to want to yank these BC Stage 2’s out for a set of HKS 272s? They’re the updated 268/272 cams from BC but idk. I just like the HKS better.

But the timing belt would have to come completely off and all that fun stuff. Seems like backward progress. If anyone has any experience with the new/updated BC Stage 2’s I’d love to hear it.
Email the company and see what profile better suits your turbo size? Or maybe that info is readily available. I've made the mistake in the past of going too big on street car cams and vowed I'd never do that again. I guess it depends on what your goals are and how much bottom and mid range you're willing to sacrifice for that insane top end hit.
I ended up going with the Kelford tx264 to match the e316g on E85, and match the brutal midrange hit with some solid over rev, too. STM had a killer sale on these, $170 off!!

Hell, I'd just get some seat time on what you've got and iron out all the other little things a 30 year old DSM presents, first. Haha.

Hell, I'd just get some seat time on what you've got and iron out all the other little things a 30 year old DSM presents, first. Haha.

Really good advice, and one I think I will take. I might end up liking these, and if they suck I can go from there. Gotta be better than the stock cams, right?

Also: I really think the DSM used parts scene is either about to die, or suffer a massive hit. Because you can't find anything anymore that is fairly priced. Everyone is so greedy that they want exorbitant prices for literal junk.

Example: I want the rear trunk carpet for a 1G. Not the entire setup, not the spare tire, just the literal little flap of carpet.

People have sent me pictures of the shittiest looking, hole-filled carpet and want $50 or more, PLUS shipping on top! For a mangy, hole filled, dust covered carpet that they AREN'T EVEN USING.

Honestly I'll just make my own carpet. Sucks because I wanted the original DSM carpet for the trunk but honestly for $50 I'll just make my own super duper plush carpet. Unreal, man. The only legitimately good/fair deals I've gotten on anything, has been from friends either here on DSMTuners, or more rarely, friends on FB.

Unreal. I say this as someone who almost gives my stuff away that I sell. I purposely price things fair, and sometimes I legit just put stuff up for cost of shipping. If I'm not using it, I'd rather it go to someone who CAN use it. But that mindset is apparently gone these days. $70 for a piece of f**king 5x3 carpet. GTFO with that. Lol

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back