The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Aluminum Rods for a Daily Driver.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any updates on these rods? I plan to build my bottom end this winter and am having the same dilemma of Turbo-tuff or grp/RNR. Anyone have preferences over the two aluminum choices and why? Just looking for some more insight and past experiences.

*Edit: Also OP; what bearings did you/ do you run with your setup?

I'm still putting miles on my RNR's. Probably close to 20k on them. Still holding up, still don't regret it. I'm running ACL tri-metals drilled for the dowel pin. No issues

I have done it once at about 14-15k. I'll probably check them again in another 5k since I'll have over 20k on them. I rev to about 8500 normally, but it'll see 9k at the track or dyno.

I'm running a 21mm IIRC. No problems yet at low-mid 500's whp.

I couldn't say, but I know the regular 6-bolt 21mm pin has powered some fast, fast cars.

how about aluminum though? I purchased a set of custom wisecos from a coworker and theyre for a bolt rod (21mm) so now that i have them im curious as to if its still a decent projected build to get aluminum rods but for the 21mm wrist pin because i didnt see anything about using a 21mm wrist pin. Only 22mm

It is not about the diameter, it is about the wall thickness. I run 21mm .230" wall pins myself. 21mm pins will live a happy life no matter the material of the rod if it is a thick, quality metal.

I agree with biglady, if u get the HD pins from Wiseco (maybe others), I don't think the diameter will matter as much.

Is there a measurable difference in hd pins and non hd so I can check. He didn't tell me whether they were hd or not. I'm assuming they would be considering he buys top line custom parts but just so I can check and make sure

The HD ones are super thick like these. Real easy to tell.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back