The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah, that's why I said "knowledgeable" LOL
Good deal, that should fix up the blinkers. I really like my LED look, but I haven't done the dash yet. I will when I have a little more time tho.

My hour and half drive home with dying alternator. I'm lucky we made it home. Had the laptop screen down so I was unaware it was having issues.

Yeah, that's why I said "knowledgeable" LOL
Good deal, that should fix up the blinkers. I really like my LED look, but I haven't done the dash yet. I will when I have a little more time tho.

I'm a fan of LED's too. Clean and crisp :sneaky:. NOOOOO leave the dash haha. To each is own.

Do 1gs have low charging idiot warning light?

Attachments

• log.2018.03.17-03.elg
    4.1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
I had to change my flasher in the console, under the radio, in my 1ga when I went with LED's. It is a digital flasher and flashes at a constant rate under any load, get them at the auto parts store.
Also I haven't had any problems with my auto parts store 90 amp unit, but I think excess heat does kill them.
@pauleyman , could that be why I can't get my cruise to work???
I can't even get the light on the dash to come on anymore and it worked for the first 2 weeks I had the car but has quit and I would LOVE for it to work again.
Marty
I'd have to review the circuit. I doubt that would be it. Red light sounds like a hard failure. Not setting could be lots of things

I will run thru what I can find. I am almost thinking the goofy VSS signal I get messes with it, but thats another thread. Thanks Paul.

Do 1gs have low charging idiot warning light?
Yes, the battery indicator in the dash.

Which vendor? I’d like to change all the exterior lights to LEDs but I am scared of the final cost
Pretty sure it was diode dynamics, aka DDM. I was getting most of my leds through them when I wrote the led replacement article.

I had to change my flasher in the console, under the radio, in my 1ga when I went with LED's. It is a digital flasher and flashes at a constant rate under any load, get them at the auto parts store.
Also I haven't had any problems with my auto parts store 90 amp unit, but I think excess heat does kill them.
@pauleyman , could that be why I can't get my cruise to work???
I can't even get the light on the dash to come on anymore and it worked for the first 2 weeks I had the car but has quit and I would LOVE for it to work again.
Marty

Did you check the dimmer knob? I had an “ah-ha!” moment before and it turned out to be this.

I haven't changed the dash bulbs for that reason. :)

Had the alternator tested. It FAILED!! Only charging at 11.4 volts and you can hear the bearing from a mile away. They advertise that it’s checked before shipping. Never buying a thing from them again.

Thanks I ordered one from advanced. $70 with lifetime warranty but it’s going to take a week

90amp for 96 galant

I am with @mitsubishikid. Mine is a 96 Galant 90 amp alternator, plug and play but the parts store offers a "high amp" option when they look up alternators now and it is a 90 amp model. Use a 100 amp fuse like mitsukid. No grinding the block for clearance and all that stuff. Also...use LED bulbs where ever you can to take the load off the charging circuit and let it work for the ignition etc.

96 galant alternators do not fit
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well my 96 Galant bolted up and plugged right in or I wouldn't have suggested it. That was back when there were no optional models. As Pauley says, the GVR4 alternator is a direct swap if the Galant, for whatever reason, doesn't or won't work for you.

If youre ordering new why not order for a 91 or 92 gvr4. Those fit.

Are you certain they fit with no modification?

Well my 96 Galant bolted up and plugged right in or I wouldn't have suggested it. That was back when there were no optional models. As Pauley says, the GVR4 alternator is a direct swap if the Galant, for whatever reason, doesn't or won't work for you.[/QUOTE

Honestly don’t want to wait longer. They can get the 92 talon alternator tomorrow but I’ll see if they can get the 91 galant alt

Ordered a 91 vr4 alt. Fingers crossed

Am I crazy??? With the new alternator, my wipers wipe so much faster. Before this alternator, the speed of on and fast were pretty much the same and the motor seemed weak. But now there’s a noticeable difference.

It's internal.

Try to keep the new alternator dry and as much heat away from it as possible to keep her in tip top shape now!!!
If the PS pump has the typical leak on the nut where the hose attaches, repair it. I believe it is just an o-ring. :thumb:

I did replace the oring a few months back and it's not leaking anymore. I do check it every time the hood is open. Don't want to dirty up the new alt :sneaky:. Anymore leaks out of it and she's coming apart for a rebuild.

Yes they did according to others and those from Up North. Galant's and GVR4's had them also.

Or to keep it clean move it to the back, and don't worry about the power steering leaking all over it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back