The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Alternator relocation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmak968

Probationary Member
Aug 23, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Hey guys have another question what do I need/where do I find the parts to mount my alternator on the backside of the engine? Mine keeps getting fried from the downpipe I'm assuming

You can also make a heat shield. I had three alternators go at one track event in July 2013 after which I came up with the one pictured below. Since installing this I've been to four track weekends and had zero issues so I'm quite pleased.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I admittedly am retarded when it comes to fabrication but I was bored and figured I could make something that worked. What I did was use cardboard from a cereal box (thin and easy to cut) to shape a heat shield providing some air gaps while avoiding shorting on the positive wire (i.e. had to stay pretty flat in the area of the positive stud). In hindsight I could have made a bit more air space between the shield and alternator (since you still want air flow for its internal fan) but since it's been working well enough I've not gone back and revised the design.

I used this material which is flexible aluminum sheets sandwiching fibrous ceramic insulating material (similar in structure to home insulation):

Can be found on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UPL61U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the cardboard components shaped I would use them to trace shapes onto the material and cut it out with some tin snips (though this material is soft enough for scissors). At the edges I would basically pull out the fibrous material inside so that I could fold over the aluminum edges to seal things up. I attached non-contiguous pieces to each other using aluminum rivets. Here's what it looked like prior to covering in DEI Reflect-A-Gold:

The slot in the front was for the oem wiring harness, but after installation I found it really wasn't needed.

One nice thing about this design is that it's flexible, and that's kind of necessary when trying to install this on an already assembled car because you don't really have easy access to the top side of the alternator. This was key because I had a new alternator already installed on the car and didn't feel like yanking it for the install (yes, I'm lazy and alternators are annoying). Installing this on the alternator already in place meant it needed to be somewhat flexible in order to maneuver into position (I still had to move the power steering pump out of the way). I am not entirely sure it will survive removal but I haven't come to that bridge yet :)

You guys are just plagued with bad luck/alternators. Mine is origional to the car, 140,000 miles, had 4,000 miles with wastegate dumping ON it before i got a tube.... And now i have a side exit, still mounted in the same oem alt spot, and havnt had an issue. However i will be replacing it with an oem mitsu one because the thread to battery bolt is stripped to hell. Where the positive terminal is leaving lower voltage and a loose connection. (Not heat related)[DOUBLEPOST=1409100515][/DOUBLEPOST]Are all you guys using auto parts stores alternatora? Or mitsubishi alternators?

I'm guessing it isnt mitsu

Fiscally it can fit, but the plug that connects to the regulator of the alternator is different so it won't charge.
1g= 2 pin plug, 2g= 4 pin plug

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back