The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdst28

10+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Ok so im in the market for a new alternator, my problem is that i have a crappy napa remanufactured alternator that doesnt charge. Unless my car sits overnight when i start it up my volts never go above 10.5v-11v until i rev the car up to 4k in which time the volts jump to 13-14v. I was told that i have to do this each time i start the car in order to "excite the alternator". Well im sick of doing this and frankly its annoying, i never had this problem with my OEM alternator. Another problem im facing is when im driving and come to a complete stop my volts fall between 10-11v and the car goes lean and shakes terribly until i start moving again then the volts jump back to 13-14v and A/F steadys out. would an OEM or galant alternator fix my problem? i also plan on putting a 10" sub and 500watt amp in the car in the future. Any help to resolve this annoying problem would be appreciated.

Could be your alternator, but look into this as well. This is from the ECMTuning forums, if you are not registered you can't see it. I'll post a screenshot so you can see.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That sounds like an alternator issue to me. I have a galant alternator in my car and have had zero issues. Can you bring it to an advanced auto or something? Don't they have alternator bench testers?

Alternator for sure ...definitely get a upgrade if you intend to run a sound system or you may get the infamous lights dimming on bass notes...:nono:

i think its the alternator, like i said i never had this problem until i got this shitty napa remanufactured. i think im going to take it down to my local advanced and get it checked out. i will also look into Q33 on the ecu and see if i notice anything unusual. im guessing the galant 90amp is the way to go over stock if/when i decide to upgrade other than the saturn upgrade.

i think its the alternator, like i said i never had this problem until i got this shitty Napa re-manufactured. i think im going to take it down to my local advanced and get it checked out. i will also look into Q33 on the ecu and see if i notice anything unusual. im guessing the galant 90amp is the way to go over stock if/when i decide to upgrade other than the saturn upgrade.

Yeah those reman alternators are hit or miss, mostly miss LOL. Any parts store should be able to test it and confirm. Those damn reman alternators have some shitty voltage regulators. However, if you keep getting that issue check what I showed you in the my first reply. Hopefully once you get a good alternator it'll go away.

I also run a Galant one the extra 15 amps sure help. I also have a sound system, dual pumps, FAL fans which all hog power, no issues.

I like the GM units, they seem to be very durable.

Bought me one off of a 96 Saturn, looked to be original but can't say for sure. Anyway the rear bearing was shot. I used that for 6 months sitting next to my tubular 02 housing. Always rock solid 13.3V+ even at idle. However I ended up pulling that one out with a new shiny one since the bearing was pretty hard to turn at that point. I'm also perfecting the GM install method so I wanted to make it look good :D

And I've never heard of needing to rev the engine to get alternator output. That is, if he was saying that's normal. I mean generally alternator output maxes around 2K rpms but there's still action going on at idle. Surely he must mean *it's bad, but just to get you by do this...etc*

Have you tested or replaced the battery lately? Have you checked the grounding points? I would have them test the entire charging system with their portable tester. That would rule out any other possibilities before you spend time/money replacing a working part.

The battery is only a year old. Was replaced with the reman alternator. Now being that some of the post about the galant alternator are so old can they still be bought new? I contacted my local mitsubishi dealer and he informed me that part# MD327535 is not available anymore but the part# has changed to a remanufactured galant alternator. I havent checked at advanced yet but is this the only route now?

i found one brand new from USA Industries part# 516081

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back