The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Alternator voltage readings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aus_dsm

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2020
KEARNEYS SPRING, Australia
Hi everyone
Tried searching but couldn't really find anything. Car is 95 2g GST.
What is a good alternator voltage reading at the alternator itself?
I am not getting any charge at Battery (new). Fuse is good.
When I take a reading from the alternator it was surging all over the shop from 15.7v down to as low as 2v at idle that was with no accessories on inside the car.
Does that sound normal?
I am going to see if cleaning up all the wiring around the alt. Circuit helps tomorrow or am I wasting my time and the alternator is toast?
Thanks!

Woah, sounds like that regulator is toast!

You should be getting 13.7-14.2v at the alt and at the battery terminals; with accessories off if would be towards the higher end, with everything on, towards the low end...

It wont hurt to clean it as much as you can and double check the wiring, but chances are, the voltage regulator is gone. In which case, I can give you the part number for a 2G alt and see if you can find a new or used one: MD327513.

Last (worst) case could also be the ELD (electric load detector) which is part of your ECU. If that goes, you need to replace the whole ECU unfortunately.

Another thing to consider is that multimeters will show bizarre voltage oscillations when their batteries are dying. Happened to me recently and it made me think charging system was bad. It sounds like an alternator issue.

Woah, sounds like that regulator is toast!

You should be getting 13.7-14.2v at the alt and at the battery terminals; with accessories off if would be towards the higher end, with everything on, towards the low end...

It wont hurt to clean it as much as you can and double check the wiring, but chances are, the voltage regulator is gone. In which case, I can give you the part number for a 2G alt and see if you can find a new or used one: MD327513.

Last (worst) case could also be the ELD (electric load detector) which is part of your ECU. If that goes, you need to replace the whole ECU unfortunately.
How do you check the ELD?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back