The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Alternator replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm1103

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2012
medina, Ohio
99 n/t eclipse gs 420a

So my alternator went bad and I need to replace it. Can anyone give me a step by step "guide" on how to do this. I haven't really looked at it too close but would like something to go off while I'm doing it. I would like to know how to take the belt off and remove and install the old and new alternator. Thanks

You unbolt the positive cable, loosen/take out bolts, take belt off and pull it off. Reverse it to put it back on.

I tried finding something for you since I've never owned a 420a but it's actually harder than I expected.

If no one here helps you out try asking on 2gnt. I'm sure it can't be that hard, you could also try buying a chilton or some other kind of repair manual.

Its actually quit hard to pull the alternator on a 420a motor. You have to actually pull the alternator from the bottom of the car and hopefully dont have to remove the passenger side cv axle. Good Luck.

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Jack car on passenger side and support with jack stand under frame so that half-shaft will hang as low as suspension will allow.
3. Remove passenger side wheel and splash guard.
4. If you have cruise control, remove the bracket and move the assembly out of the way to provide access to the top of the alternator.
5. Unplug the alternator and remove battery wire from back.
6. Loosen bottom alternator pivot bolt.
7. Loosen top alternator slide bolt and back off adjuster bolt to relieve belt tension.
8. Remove belt. Avoid getting any oil on it if re-using, though I recommend replacement.
9. Remove top alternator slide bolt.
10. Remove bottom alternator pivot bolt.
11. Remove alternator from bottom side next to half-shaft (axle). If you need a little bit more clearance, remove the bottom alternator bracket from the block.
12. Install in reverse of these steps.

Replace with a 1-Wire self exciting alternator and you wont have to worry about it anymore. And for me I like to take the alternator off through the driver side of the engine...
You will need to remove the battery and tray/bracket as well as the shifter cable mount on the tranny and any and all wires in the way, also the intake pipe and throttle body. Then you should have enough room to slide it out from under the intake manifold.

Replace it with an oem unit if you can afford it, all the reman'ds are garbage - I'm on my 3rd in 3 months

So true,

but then it's like .....its free replacement

Its not uncommon to get 2 or even 3 bad remanufactured units in a row. I dont know about you, but I dont need the practice taking an alternator out and putting it back in. Rather sit by the grill with a beer! Do yourself a favor and go OEM or get a built aftermarket replacement.

Its not uncommon to get 2 or even 3 bad remanufactured units in a row. I dont know about you, but I dont need the practice taking an alternator out and putting it back in. Rather sit by the grill with a beer! Do yourself a favor and go OEM or get a built aftermarket replacement.

Florida, grill, and beer! :thumb:

You could pick up one at a salvage yard and probably do better than alot of rebuild one's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back