The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Alternator relocation kits - Buschur Racing VS Jay Racing VS others

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clipto

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Discuss any alternator relocation kit here.

Posts 1-10 were moved from a build thread and are better suited in their own thread.

-99gst_racer

Alternator relocate kits were done by us FIRST, we still have them in stock, always have.

Not to steal this post but the alternater relocation kit you have is it practicly like the same that jays racing has?I wanna order one if you got a good price for them I will by 2.Anyways get some more work done and some more pics.I hope you start making more dsm parts for 1g's and 2g's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to steal this post but the alternater relocation kit you have is it practicly like the same that jays racing has?I wanna order one if you got a good price for them I will by 2.Anyways get some more work done and some more pics.I hope you start making more dsm parts for 1g's and 2g's.

I think YOU need to rephrase that to "Jay Racing's is like yours" because WE were the ones who came up with the product and then got copied.....

I think YOU need to rephrase that to "Jay Racing's is like yours" because WE were the ones who came up with the product and then got copied.....

I mean no disrespect?I never heard that you had one nor could find it on your site mostly just wanted to touch bases on that.But maybe send me a pm I would love to order one or two.No competition as I have always seen your buscher parts make more power and have better quality then alot of other companies parts if that add's to a little ass kissing, so I can assume yours is going to be better.

I mean no disrespect?I never heard that you had one nor could find it on your site mostly just wanted to touch bases on that.But maybe send me a pm I would love to order one or two.No competition as I have always seen your buscher parts make more power and have better quality then alot of other companies parts if that add's to a little ass kissing, so I can assume yours is going to be better.
No worries. Do a forum search and see which kit fits better. In most cases, doing it better trumps doing it first.

No worries. Do a forum search and see which kit fits better. In most cases, doing it better trumps doing it first.

Those POS aluminum relocate brackets cost customers a lot of money, and I personally changed a few broken ones. The kicker is blaming the customer.

"Alloy steel lower main bracket now available for added durability, if your pulleys have a lot of run out, or if belts are over tensioned."

You won't be disapointed, I've had both, and the BR one was a joke compared to Jay's.

I'll take function over style, I've heard of countless Jay Racing kits failing. I don't foresee the BR kit failing based on that design and costing me who knows what if it does fail. Sure it looks pretty though.#:thumb:

I'll take function over style, I've heard of countless Jay Racing kits failing. I don't foresee the BR kit failing based on that design and costing me who knows what if it does fail. Sure it looks pretty though.#:thumb:

Key word being "heard"

This isn't a fashion statement, I've had 2 Jay kits, neither have failed and have been running them for years, and neither have slung a belt, nor did either of them require grinding of the frame.

However I can't say the same for the BR kit. Didn't fit worth a damn, had to grind the frame, and it loved to throw belts after 7-8k.

Even if a few of Jay's brackets have cracked, it's worth noting that the other several hundred have not. Even excellent parts fail from time to time, and few parts have a 100% success rate. And we all know how some people misuse and improperly install parts too. Nevertheless, if it's cheaper, comes with a better designed tensioner, and fits without hammering the frame rail, then it's an easy choice for me.

If the fail point in Jay's kit is the material of the bracket, then keep in mind that you can upgrade to steel and have a better designed and bulletproof kit that still costs less than the BR kit.

Even if a few of Jay's brackets have cracked, it's worth noting that the other several hundred have not. Even excellent parts fail from time to time, and few parts have a 100% success rate. And we all know how some people misuse and improperly install parts too. Nevertheless, if it's cheaper, comes with a better designed tensioner, and fits without hammering the frame rail, then it's an easy choice for me.

If the fail point in jay's kit is the material of the bracket, then keep in mind that you can upgrade to steel and have a better designed and bulletproof kit that still costs less than the BR kit.
Our alternator relocate kit was on Shepherd's car, hmmm 7.70's 195 mph 11,000 rpm. It was on my RWD Talon, 7.80's, our Conquest 8.50's and the Honda that run's 7.50's. None have ever broken and they don't blow belts off. Maybe check your installation...........and attitude while you are at it.

I know buscher said Jay copied him, but the Jay racing one looks like an improved one. Or am I the only one who sees that?

Our alternator relocate kit was on Shepherd's car, hmmm 7.70's 195 mph 11,000 rpm. It was on my RWD Talon, 7.80's, our Conquest 8.50's and the Honda that run's 7.50's. None have ever broken and they don't blow belts off. Maybe check your installation...........and attitude while you are at it.
Unfortunately, John's accomplishments with his car do not make your kit better than Jay's kit. Sorry. Of course, that's just my opinion. You're welcome to have a differing opinion and I'm glad you use your kit successfully. :thumb:

I know buscher said Jay copied him, but the Jay racing one looks like an improved one. Or am I the only one who sees that?
Exactly. They're similar products, but Jay's is an improved design IMO. They are different enough, so it's no more a copy than Buschur's new chromoly crossmember bar or their parachute mount - both of which have been available elsewhere for years.

Can I use the br one with a Saturn alt on my 1g?
As far as I can tell, the BR kit will only work with a factory alternator in a 1G. It will not fit Saturn alternators, nor 2G cars with either engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, Dave.

Nobody offers a bolt in chute mount actually, Shearer built ONE and never offered it. The front cross members, yes, they are offered. Difference between them and ours is I didn't know anyone offered them.

Our alternator relocate kit I said was done first. I have never seen the Jay Racing kit, I have no idea what it looks like, just that we offered the first kit, came up with the idea, built the part and our part works, that's all I know. I have a box full of them, probably haven't sold one in a year or more. I doubt they are even on our site. They are made of steel and I've never had one fail.

They work with the 1g alternator, I don't know if they'd work with a Saturn alternator or not. I've also never used one of those.

I will rephrase my statement, Jay Racing's product I haven't seen. The basic idea of moving the alternator came from us, so did the first relocation kit. So the idea of moving it was copied. There's very few products we didn't do first for DSM's in reality, most of which others have done. Same story with the EVO's.

If the fail point in Jay's kit is the material of the bracket, then keep in mind that you can upgrade to steel

I would definitely recommend doing this. With more than a couple of these failing, I'm not quite sure why Jay is still offering them with the aluminum piece. I traded my aluminum piece in for a steel one not too long ago and I haven't even installed it. But I've read about too many of the brackets cracking for my liking.

Nobody offers a bolt in chute mount actually, Shearer built ONE and never offered it. The front cross members, yes, they are offered. Difference between them and ours is I didn't know anyone offered them.

Actually, he sold a couple chute mounts :thumb:

Shearer Fabrications bolt on chute mount - CarolinaDSM Forums

I'm trying to find the company now, but there's a small company that started selling bolt in chute mounts within the last month, i'll post the link when I can find it.

I will rephrase my statement, Jay Racing's product I haven't seen. The basic idea of moving the alternator came from us, so did the first relocation kit. So the idea of moving it was copied. There's very few products we didn't do first for DSM's in reality, most of which others have done. Same story with the EVO's.

So.... you own the idea? and no one else should even attempt to improve upon it

In reality does it even matter who came up with the kit first? If that was the case, we would be no where in the evolution of aftermarket parts for anything, not just automotive....

There is always room for improvement and design ;)

Anybody got a picture of where Jay's aluminum bracket cracks? I've never seen a failed one but now I'm curious.

There is always room for improvement and design ;)
Precisely why jay starting making his in the first place. And I'm sure many of us are thankful for that. :)

Last edited:
It only matters who originates an idea if you are the one who came up with it. If you are some guy on the internet who has never done anything but sat back and judged someone's ideas/designs/accomplishments then, NO it doesn't matter to you.

The ONLY reason I made any reference to doing it first was the guy who asked me said OURS LOOKED SIMILAR TO JAY RACING'S. I corrected him by saying HIS looks like OURS since we did them first.

I don't honestly give a #### about this topic or the kits. The kits aren't even on our site and I have box full of them in the back, if I cared I guess we've have them listed for sale.

Some of you guys have nothing better to do than try and bust my balls. Find a hobby.

Also, if any of you have more comments send me a PM.

Why are you getting so bent over this?

Wow. This has been an eye-opener, to say the least.

And I was just mulling over the idea of relocating to help make room for my 5" side-exit.. I think I know whom I would rather correspond with now.

Paul's never done or designed anything? Really? LOL

Why not just let your products merits speak for themselves?

Anybody got a picture of where Jay's aluminum bracket cracks? I've never seen a failed one but now I'm curious.
Send a PM to TalonDave. I know his broke about the second or third use while on the car, and I know he remedied it somehow using steel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back