The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Alternator over charged now have major issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frskrgps

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 11, 2007
statesville, North_Carolina
I do not know where to start, the alternator over charged on me today going down the road. Started with the tach was jumping all over the place, wipers and door locks going on and off. The sun roof open the check engine light was flashing. Once I pull the car over and stopped I could smell that something fired inside the car.

Now after replacing the alternator the SRS light is on, the sun roof does not work, my headlight bulbs were blown, radio does not work, and radiator fans stay on.

I was able to fix the head lights by changing out the headlight relay and replacing the light bulbs, however the relay for the radiator fans would not correct the fans from being on all the time. Next I checked all the fuses and did not see any that were blown. All the grounds checked out as well, the car is having trouble idling as well.

I am looking to see if anyone else has dealt with similar issues. Plus looking for a list of everything that the alternator could fry by over charging.

Thanks For the help
Graham

Wow, sounds like a horrible experience, I too have had altanator issues, dumb stupid autozone is by far the WORST altenator. as I can't for surley awnser all of your questions I can give you good advice for next time, install a quality battery voltage gauge in your car. For 89$ you can have a APEXI turbo timer which is good, but more importantly it has a built in trust worthy battery voltage gauge. There has been times when a POS duralast alt was goin bad and thankfully I had abattery voltage gauge that saved my ass befor. When I saw my volts go from 13.5 to 16.5 I knew I was cookin my electrical system.

The burnt smell that you smelt more than likely came directly from your alt. After burnin through about 6 or 7 duracraps I know that smell all to well. I finally ponied up and bought a REAL alt for my car and haven't had a problem since (knock on wood) one word of advice, crack open the case on your ECU take a peak inside, hopefully nothing is wrong, and hopefully if there is something wrong it will be very obvious to spot

Good luck guy

When I picked up my car this had happened to the prev owner. There isnt really a list of everything this can mess up... its pretty much everything. For me it was 8 bulbs, 4 relays, ecu (but couldve been goin bad from leaky caps already) Stereo, seatbelts, rear defroster (still havent fixed that) the MAF was bad but could be unrelated. Sorry for the not so good news but yeah pretty much everything that is acting weird is probably related to the overcharge. I would lean towards the ecu with the fans do you have a scanner you can hook up and see what its doing? BTW do yourself a favor and just pick up all the relays and such from the junkyard, NOT the stealership

I do not know where to start, the alternator over charged on me today going down the road. Started with the tack was jumping all over the place, wipers and door locks going on and off. The sun roof open the check engine light was flashing. Once i pull the car over and stopped i could smell that something fired inside the car.

Now after replacing the alternator the srs light is on, the sun roof does not work, my headlight bulbs were blown, radio does not work, and radiator fans stay on.

I was able to fix the head lights by changing out the headlight relay and replace the light bulbs, however the relay for the radiator fans would not correct the fans from being on all the time. Next i checked all the fusses and did not see any that were blown. All the grounds checked out as well, the car is having trouble idling as well.

I am looking to see if anyone else has dealt with similar issues. Plus looking for a list of everything that the alternator could fry by over charging.

Thanks For the help
Graham

Take your alternator off and have it tested, and by that I don't mean take to to damn autozone. I am sure there is someone near you that rebuilds starters and alternators and those are the guys that can tell whether its the alternator or in your wiring in general. As for your lights ETC. start small. Check fuses, check power to the fuses and at the plugs. If you have fire at fuse but not at plug check switches. If not your wirin is bad somewhere between there. You would be suprised how many times I've found 2 broke wires in the door jamb.

Wow, sounds like a horrible experience, I too have had altanator issues, dumb stupid autozone is by far the WORST altenator. as I can't for surley awnser all of your questions I can give you good advice for next time, install a quality battery voltage gauge in your car. For 89$ you can have a APEXI turbo timer which is good, but more importantly it has a built in trust worthy battery voltage gauge. There has been times when a POS duralast alt was goin bad and thankfully I had abattery voltage gauge that saved my ass befor. When I saw my volts go from 13.5 to 16.5 I knew I was cookin my electrical system.

The burnt smell that you smelt more than likely came directly from your alt. After burnin through about 6 or 7 duracraps I know that smell all to well. I finally ponied up and bought a REAL alt for my car and haven't had a problem since (knock on wood) one word of advice, crack open the case on your ECU take a peak inside, hopefully nothing is wrong, and hopefully if there is something wrong it will be very obvious to spot

Good luck guy

1. Why do you feel the need to keep buying brand new alternators from a place that you state sells shit parts?

2. As much as I hate to stand up for built to fail, neverlasts I would suspect its not the alternator error but a user error. You have a problem somewhere buddy.

I have had many rebuilt with quality brushes and bearings and never had a problem with "overcharging" and guess what? Take it to autozone and all they know to do is sell you parts. Take it to someone who does it for a living because the only alternator I've ever had overcharged at over 15 on a 02 maxima, it drove like that for months with no electrical issue, but at the end of the day it was NOT the alternator but the wiring to the ECU itself.

Last edited:
Take your alternator off and have it tested, and by that I don't mean take to to damn autozone. I am sure there is someone near you that rebuilds starters and alternators and those are the guys that can tell whether its the alternator or in your wiring in general. As for your lights ETC. start small. Check fuses, check power to the fuses and at the plugs. If you have fire at fuse but not at plug check switches. If not your wirin is bad somewhere between there. You would be suprised how many times I've found 2 broke wires in the door jamb.

1. Why do you feel the need to keep buying brand new alternators from a place that you state sells shit parts?

2. As much as I hate to stand up for built to fail, neverlasts I would suspect its not the alternator error but a user error. You have a problem somewhere buddy.

I have had many rebuilt with quality brushes and bearings and never had a problem with "overcharging" and guess what? Take it to autozone and all they know to do is sell you parts. Take it to someone who does it for a living because the only alternator I've ever had overcharged at over 15 on a 02 maxima, it drove like that for months with no electrical issue, but at the end of the day it was NOT the alternator but the wiring to the ECU itself.

News flash buddy, I never kept BUYING them, those cheap ass alt.s come with a lifetime warrenty, they give that lifetime warrenty not because they're so "good" but because they know its gonna fail. Once you buy one, YOU CAN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK, ALL YOU CAN DO IS CASH IN ON ANOTHER POS REPLACEMENT. The duracrap brand are all shit ass busted rebuild cores made by Juan and Wholio down in mexico. They suck. Yes I did burn through like 6 or 7 alts in a short 2year time span. Finally said F this and went to a reputable battery/starter shop and they sold me a new never rebuilt REMY brand alt. Problem completley solved. So befor you go tellin me there's somethin wrong with my car maybe you should understand the integrity of re-man products that come outa mexico...

YOU CAN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK, ALL YOU CAN DO IS CASH IN ON ANOTHER POS REPLACEMENT.

Incorrect.

Take the bad alternator back and give them the phone number you registered the warranty under. When it tests out as bad, they will give you back your money and in exchange take back their lifetime warranty.

News flash buddy, I never kept BUYING them, those cheap ass alt.s come with a lifetime warrenty, they give that lifetime warrenty not because they're so "good" but because they know its gonna fail. Once you buy one, YOU CAN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK, ALL YOU CAN DO IS CASH IN ON ANOTHER POS REPLACEMENT. The duracrap brand are all shit ass busted rebuild cores made by Juan and Wholio down in mexico. They suck. Yes I did burn through like 6 or 7 alts in a short 2year time span. Finally said F this and went to a reputable battery/starter shop and they sold me a new never rebuilt REMY brand alt. Problem completley solved. So befor you go tellin me there's somethin wrong with my car maybe you should understand the integrity of re-man products that come outa mexico...

I do, because most of those are put on new cars today. 90% of parts come from canada or mexico, so there goes your theory. I have had 1 or 2 remans be bad, but i test the part or have it tested before I slap it on my car. I would be even more inclined to do so if I'm on my 5th one to. And you may not know how to handle parts store workers let me give you a hint. If the scab at the counter won't refund. Take to his boss and so on and so on. But I digress this is about his problem not your stupidity. So enough post whoring for me.

But seriously. 7 where bad? You have the worst luck ever.

Incorrect.

Take the bad alternator back and give them the phone number you registered the warranty under. When it tests out as bad, they will give you back your money and in exchange take back their lifetime warranty.

Correct! Not like I call parts stores to order parts everyday when I'm working. :rolleyes:

Unless they were actually good. And then it's another problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

I was unable to find where the burnt smell is coming from. Sun roof still does not work, the radio and the radiator fans still come on when the key is on. I pulled the ECU and did not see or smell like anything was burnt. Plus with the key off i am getting about 2.5 Amp draw not sure where that coming from either.

car runs like crap had to adjust the throttle plate in order get the car to idle. Plus it breaks up around 4000rpm when running WOT.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back