The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

alternator itself or connector throwing up brake&battery lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
long story short, just finished rewiring the alternator with 4 gauge wire, and now I can't get it to charge, theres definatley nothing wrong with the new wire, but Im guessing the harness connector that plugs into the alternator which has 4 pins on my 95 2g.

through everything Ive read and checked, the 2 lights on the dash indicate an alternator problem, ususally the alternator. but will these lights still come on with the connector unplugged?

I see loose wires at the 4 pin plug, but I can still read 12v through the red wire, grounding elsewhere.

thing is, battery and alternator are both new and was getting charged before I did the rewire, I think I may have weakend the connector plug further by moving the harness around with everything open & untaped...

alterantor is actually the newest part, and has just under 500 miles on it....i'd really like to think it still charges.

Last edited:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/431116-alternator-low-voltage-after-warmup.html

okay as an update I came across this thread, and it gave me good ideas on what to look for in the harness connector for the alternator. Looks like the red wire along with the black/yellowstripe wire are supposed to have 12v (red constant,BY ignition) and are the 2 thicker wires of the 4. theres also 2 really small wires, the green and white, the green is supposed to have 5V with ignition, and the white is apparently a grounding wire (not grounded) that the ecu can ground for some reason, unless there's a short out in this wire.

I tested the harness connector and got all these readings from the red,BY,and green wires, so I proceeded to cut the white wire from the connector making sure the harness side was not touching ground to see if this was happening which it was not the problem. I cut the other 3 wires off disconnecting the connector completley since I have a new generic pigtail on the way, and I ohmed out the connector from side to side all the way to 0 for all 4 wires so the connector itself actually appears good :hmm:

thing is, looking into the connector theres a black arc spot at the terminal where the bigger black/yellow wire plugs into, as if a short out. So i'm thinking that this terminal alone atleast may be burned/worn out somewhat to where theres no connection at the alt. pin. Will see soon if this is true or not once the connector comes & if it fits.

also already replaced the alt/generator relay by the BCS, along with replacing the connector with regular male krimps to the relay to bypass the old plug but it ohmed out actually so its back on how it was.

okay so the pigtail fits and plugs into the alternator, found a generic site through a google search. I ohmed out the connector just to be sure it was perfect and installed it to the alternator, and continuing to see brake/battery lights along with 1 additional light. car starts up and idle always sounds off if its not charging and sure enough batterys still reading at or under 12.5.

which means the only thing left is the alternator itself...which is new but I found a thread where alts can die under 500 miles due to heat....which really doesnt make since to me since the car never went on a long drive or especially never even came close to over heating...so with that said im parting out now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back