The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Alternator Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspire

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2012
757, Virginia
Ok so I have been searching through the forums and found a couple of good leads but I don't think that any of the others posts pertain to my issue that I am having. Ok so Basically when I start my car I have a Battery, Brake, and Coolant that will stay illuminated. For months they would stay on until I reached around 2500-3000 Rpms when first driving the car. Then light went away and nothing lit back up. Yesterday on a beautiful rainy morning the lights came on and stayed on my whole way to work which is 45 min away from home. Get to work, lights still shining. Go to leave work lights come on, as soon as rpms pass 2500 rpms The lights go away but when you let off the accelerator the lights come back on when it gets under 2500rpms and go back to idle. The car was driven for almost 2 hours yesterday. I adjusted the belt yesterday to make sure tension was tight thinking it would solve my problem but now I am left with annoying lights at idle still. The alternator was replaced not to long ago, literally right before the car was bought back in July of this past year.

I am trying to figure out what it could be, I just don't understand if the alternator is bad how in the hell it would make it all that way home, and all the way back. Keep in mind I work across a draw bridge and a ship came in so I was sitting at idle for a good 30 mins. So car ran for about 3 hours and didnt die, headlights didn't dim at all, and everything worked just fine. I had to replace my alternator fuse a few months back twice for whatever reason that caused that, ever since I used a pocketlogger I have been getting these lights. Don't know if that might tie it together for someone with better diagnosis skills. Id really hate to spend money on a part and then it ends up being something else. Car still starts and drives fine.

Thanks Tuners!

Voltage regulator is dying... if the alternator was dead and not producing 14v, you'd run on battery and be stuck on the road. But the voltage regular dying means that it is not able to regulate voltage as the RPM changes. In our cars, the voltage regulator is part of the car, and when you take it to a shop such as autozone, all they do is hook up a voltmeter and if it reads 14v they say "yup, it's good". Take the alternator off the car and have it tested by an alternator shop, and have them replace or rebuild the voltage regulator at the same time. Your other options are listed below...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...55-alternator-issues-brake-battery-light.html

I agree voltage regulator. That sucker starts goin tits up and itll throw coolant light brake light abs light srs light. My car eats altanators like it sips gas. I have a pos duralast autozone alt. They suck so so so bad. They dont come with that lifetime warrenty because theyre so good. They have a replacment warrenty because they know there gonna break. I keep tellin my self im gonna get a bosch or a mitsu but everytime it dies im cheap and cash in on my free duracrap replacement...

Ah yes, that famous Autozone (and other auto stores but Autozone is by far the worst) free replacement warranty where you keep reinstalling your rebuilt "free" crap replacement with your new rebuilt "free" crap replacement over and over and over and over and over and...

Wise up people and go to an alt/starter repair shop (see yellow pages) and get a decent (Denso, Bosch, Mitsu) rebuilt (or new) alt! And it will be completely tested in every possible way. Where do you think all dealerships bring their alts for repair? (Hint: They would never risk their customer reputation to an auto store.)

Last edited:
Another question. The radio will randomly cut off when it is turned up to a higher volume. Goes to 30 anything past 23 is destined for a cut off. And now the more I drive I can have it on 15 and it will cut off randomly sometimes and cut right back on. This at all tie into the regulator. Honestly if it comes down to it, I will fork over the money to buy the best possible one. I don't have time to re do an alt. 30 times in a year. I have heard that autozone makes crappy ones. I figured this would be my luck. A ticket, and a bad part int he same week. Go DSM! Always happens like this. Haha

Almost forgot to mention, Thanks for yalls advice and know how. I finally feel like I am getting somewhere.

Actually Maniac doesn't make good products. I had 2 alternators in the past from there and both had bad bearings. My dash lights were coming on sparatically and my voltage regulator was having a fit trying to work with there products. I even took them to 2 different shops for verification. And both shops confirmed the shoddy bearings. I swapped back to my old OEM one and car was fine. Now I am using a 90 amp Galant model from Denso and haven't looked back. Maniac Electronics kept blaming me for "damaging the bearings" upon installation. I asked them how I can have the identical issues with 2 products from your company when I have no issues with others. They wouldn't comment...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back