The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Alternator discharging but light will not come on with car running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maynard

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2005
New Philadelphia, Ohio
Today on my way to work I noticed that my radio kept turning off everytime I touched the brake pedal. My dash lights were also really dim and the coolant level light does not come on when you turn the key to the on position. The whole time I was driving it the battery light never came on. I checked the battery it's holding 12 volts. I checked the battery with the car running and it's only at 11 volts so obviously it's not getting a full charge with the car running. I checked all the fusible links, wires and plugs to the alternator, and relays and they're good. I checked the belt for wear and good tension and that's also good. I unhooked the negative battery terminal and hooked up a test light between the negative post and disconnected terminal and it lit up. That means there is a short in the electrical system somewhere. I'm assuming that this is all brought on by a bad alternator. I'm about to go to Advanced autoparts and have it tested but I want to know is there anything else I should check or might have overlooked ? Thanks in advance.

I would try disconnecting all of the alternator wires (a plug and two wires) and perform the short test again. This will tell you for sure if it's the alternator or a short somewhere else.

Hey man, when my alternator went I had none of the usual signs. No battery light or anything. I replaced my battery and my car kept dying. I cleaned the end terminals and checked all fuses and whatnot just as you did, so Im guessing that it is most likely your alternator.

:thumb:

Crazy E said:
Hey man, when my alternator went I had none of the usual signs. No battery light or anything. I replaced my battery and my car kept dying. I cleaned the end terminals and checked all fuses and whatnot just as you did, so Im guessing that it is most likely your alternator.

:thumb:

You were right and my hunch was correct. It was the alternator. When I had it tested it wasn't even putting anything out. Anyway, I installed a new one and everything is back to normal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back