The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Alternator dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowChild3

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
I've got a new 90 amp alternator relocated. It has maybe an hour of run time. My voltage jumped to 15-18v. I actually have a log of when it took a crap. Could anything have caused this besides alternator regulator? I really don't want to remove the manifold again. Ugh...

OK now I need some help. Everyone I talked to said over charge could only be caused by a bad regulator. I had my alternator tested and checked out good.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358992015411.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358992015411.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 62
Yes, you are correct. An voltage regulator can allow the battery to receive an extra load of current, overcharging the battery. By the looks like of the test results that the alternator is at 14.93 volts. Some people would like to have an alternator that outputs that extra voltage. I'm not sure if you have any other choice but; to replace that alternator with another if it is getting the battery too hot by the extra overcharging. 13.7 TO 14.1 is optimal for alternator output and they will of course vary in voltage.

Make sure your battery is FULLY charged then try your reading again. Go have your battery checked that could be the reason the voltage regulator is a little off the charts, trying to charge a bad/dead battery is something that will cause improper reading when checking alternator voltage output.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back