The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Alternator bolt impossible to remove!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy E

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2003
Syracuse, New_York
Alright, in another thread it was found that I needed a new alternator. I went to replace it today and I have but one bolt that I cannot remove. It is the long thin pivot bolt that has a nut on the end. I removed the nut, but I cannot get the bolt/pin thing to slide out. I wiggled the alt around and sprayed WD-40 for 3 hours today and it will not budge.

I need my car back, and I do not want to have to have it towed to a garage for one freakin bolt!!

Please help me, im on the verge of selling my car :notgood:

long bolt is the adjuster, other bolt goes into braket should come off. take it off and long bolt will come off. its only like total of three bolts, a shop replaced my alt. before i got car and they put it in wrong so dont feel bad. just take another look at it and youll get it

Yeah. I have it all figured out, I got the nut off this bolt but it will not budge!

I just cant reach it, its really pissing me off

this may sound a bit odd, but i just got done taking off and putting on my alternator and something that seems to just break through grime, rust and anything else an engine can throw at you is some really just cheap bottom of the line carb cleaner. just spray that on there and it might just be able to break that loose.

92awddsm said:
Take the inner splash guard out from behind the tire. Now get a long punch and tap it free with a hammer. A steel dowel, allthread, or the like can be subbed for the punch.

yeah, i removed the splash guards, but the bolt thing has to come out from the other way. Like, I have to knock it out that way. What do you mean by punch? like a big stick that I could smack on it with?

Crazy E said:
yeah, i removed the splash guards, but the bolt thing has to come out from the other way. Like, I have to knock it out that way. What do you mean by punch? like a big stick that I could smack on it with?

the bolt has to come out the other way?? it came out towards the wheel on my car. maybe the n/t's are different? either way, tug and turn on that alternator while pulling on the bolt... it should come out.

If its rusted..
WD-40 sucks when trying to free rusted bolts. PB Blaster is some miracle Sh!t and worth every penny. Spray it, wait an hour..come out harrass it, smack it around, try removing it. If that don't work repeat process.

yeah, ill pick up some PB and make that bolt my b!tch today, LOL. It sucks cuz its the last one I have to rmove and Ive spent more time on it then the entire job so far.

Thanks for the help, Ill let you know how it goes :thumb:

Got it out! My buddy chris knocked it out in like 2 seconds with a tap from a hammer. I think it loosened up over night or something. I was ecsatic when it popped out, yelling "There is a God" at the top of my lungs in the parking lot.

Thanks for all your help guys, tuners is the best!

BTW-my belt is squealing pretty damn loud after the install. It goes away as the car heats up though, if anyone knows whats up then please respond, im probably gettin it check tomorrow though.

The squealing belt is probably not tightened enough. Re-tension the offending belt. If that don't help maybe the belt is shot.

Just for future reference, don't waste your time with WD-40 anymore if you need to free seized parts.

PB Blaster is all you need.

Gigaah said:
The squealing belt is probably not tightened enough. Re-tension the offending belt. If that don't help maybe the belt is shot.

how do I go about tightening the belt? I did a ghetto install job and just slipped it off the old alternator and splipped it on the new one.

BTW- I checked the belt and it seems to be in good shape, no fraying or cracks or anything

Thanks! :thumb:

Loosen the pivot bolt(by the oil filter..well at least on a 90 it is), loosen the other bolt that holds it in place. There is another bolt that is attached to a slide and the head of it rests in a slot. That is the tensioning bolt. The more you screw that in the tighter the belt gets.(you should be able to see what I mean by that) crank on that awhile keeping that bolt in the slot(it usually tries to flip up and out of the slot there while you turn it. Its hard to say exactly when its tight enough but I think if you press mid belt and it deflects more than 1/2" you need t tighten it some more. With out a proper belt tension measureing device(which few probably have) thats they way I do it..if she don't squeal its fine. There is such a thing as too tight.

I(and everyone else) would advise you get at minimum a CD copy of the Factory mitsu shop manuals. They have all sorts of information you need for these things. I have no experience with Chiltons for Haynes but most reccomend the factory Mitsu manuals.

Hope that helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back