The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Alternator Belt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilmore

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2010
Bronx, New_York
I recently had my alternator changed and I needed a new belt.

I put on the new belt, a week later the belt comes off and the car won't start.

Next day, I buy a new belt and put it back on. My 420A comes back to life and everything is just DANDY!

A week and some change later (yesterday afternoon), the alternator belt comes off again. Could something be wrong with the pulley? I'm buying the correct belt size.

I used to have a similar problem. First thing you want to do is make sure your pulleys are in alignment. Also after you instal the belt it will "break in" andx you may have to adjust it again.

Do you have the stock crankshaft pulley? If you do it just sounds like your not tightening the belt enough, its kinda a pain in the @@@ on our car. Sometimes it's best to tighten it from under the car.

This is a very common problem with 420A's.
My belt likes to shred about 1/4 off, before it will stay on the damn pulley.
I would check the alignment of everything.
My car had been in an accident, prior to me getting it.
I believe in the accident it very slightly tweaked, the ALT bracket.
But it could be a bearing issue too.
Or like it was said, maybe the belt isn't tight enough?

Any problems, before the ALT was replaced?

Before I put in the new alternator, I never had a problem with the belt. I also have the lighter/smaller underdrive crank pulley so I needed a new belt for the power steering.

My alternator belt keeps coming off and my power steering just shreds to 1/4 like NeMiZiS said.

Oh, so your ALT belt comes all the way off and your power steering belt is getting chewed up?
I only have a problem with my ALT belt, I've never really had to mess with the power steering.
Have you done a good visual inspection?
Just to make sure nothing looks cocked or crooked?

Reading about this some, it may be that the A/C pulley has gotten loose, causing the belt to come off.
Or you are just tightening the tensioner too much.
That is if everything else is straight.

Before I put in the new alternator, I never had a problem with the belt. I also have the lighter/smaller underdrive crank pulley so I needed a new belt for the power steering.

My alternator belt keeps coming off and my power steering just shreds to 1/4 like NeMiZiS said.

Alignment is probably your problem. Your old alt was probably a little tweaked to the point it worked but with the new one it's back to where it's suppose to be. I would check your underdrive pulley since your shredding your power steering belt also.

Thanks guys. I'll have to check again after we get hit with 2 days of snow.

Last weekend my old alternator belt was damaged on the track, now I'd like to know what belt I need. Mitsubishi or Dodge can't help me because the car was never sold here in Germany, so I need the correct length. Ebay tells me the car needs a 35.56 inches or a 35.66 inches belt. What belt size do you use?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back