The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

alternator belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbdh95et

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2004
San Diego,, California
Alot of DSM owners are having this loud squeek noise coming from the engine bay, and I already know that is the alternantor belt, but can someone teach this new DSMer how to TIGHTEN UP THE ALTERNATOR BELT PLEASE!! SOME STEPS AND PICS WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

:talon: :thumb:

on your alternator bracket it has a tensioner and a slide things CHECK your belt mine was almost in two. After I replaced the alternator I just went and had someone tighten it for me it was alot easier. :thumb:

First of all, dude, calm down. :p

Next, open up the hood and look down at the alternator. Like Blueblotch said, there is a very long bolt protruding toward the front of the car; that's the tensioner bolt. Take a 12mm wrench, loosen the lock bolt slightly that's holding the tensioner bolt in place (not absolutely required but makes tightening the tensioner bolt a little easier), and then tighten the tensioner bolt as required. It can be a little hard to get to, so be patient.

doug said:
First of all, dude, calm down. :p

Next, open up the hood and look down at the alternator. Like Blueblotch said, there is a very long bolt protruding toward the front of the car; that's the tensioner bolt. Take a 12mm wrench, loosen the lock bolt slightly that's holding the tensioner bolt in place (not absolutely required but makes tightening the tensioner bolt a little easier), and then tighten the tensioner bolt as required. It can be a little hard to get to, so be patient.

the only thing I would definatly change about this is to for sure loosen the 12mm bolt that he called the lock bolt, its what actually holds the alternator in place and if you don't loosen that you'll end up having it not be as tight and slip later.

loosen the lock bolt tighten down the screw bolt to where you have a tight belt and then retighten the lock bolt :thumb:

a lot of times belts will get oil on them or just get old and squeek a lot more then newer belts, a new belt is around 5 bucks and if you're going ot be there already its cake to replace. some belt dressing is also a good thing to spray on the belt and the pulleys if there is any oil on them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back