The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

alternator belt shredding [Merged 6-8] shedding falling off squeal noise thrown

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksae

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 13, 2002
Bay Area, California
Alright.. i've gone through some hell w/ my alternator belt on my 1g. Ever since I removed my AC belt, my alternator belt has flown off 3 times, and I've shredded 2 of them. If i leave it too loose, it flies off. If I tighten it too much, the belt shreds. I'll check my pulleys to make sure they're all lined up and aren't dinged up. Will overtightening this belt cause it to shred?

As this amalgamation of threads shows, the usual causes of alternator belt troubles are:
1. Failed harmonic balancer.
2. Bent pulleys.
3. Pulleys put on backward.

Do it your self. with a guide, it is simple plus it gives you some hands on experience. As for shops, most charge between $65-75/hr with 1 hr minimum so expect to spend at least that if you supply your own parts. More likely, $100-125 since they arent making any profit on parts.

so i've been reading about what different problems this could be but i don't know exactly how to fix it. I noticed that my a/c belt was loose so i tightened it and i still have that squeeling noise. Now i'm starting to think it's my alternator belt but i felt it and it doesn't seem loose or anything. Does anyone know how to test if the tension is right on them? and could the squeeling be coming from inside the alternator itself? just someone help please because it's the most loud and annoying squeel i've ever heard in my life and i need it to stop now haha.

You should be able to turn the belt 90* without alot of force but after 90* it should be hard to turn it any more. To narrow it down turn on the car and turn on the a/c and if it gets louder when you tun on the a/c then thats the belt. If you turn the wheel while the belts squeel and it gets louder as you turn it then its the ps steering belt (if you still have it). If it doesnt get louder with either one of those then its your altinator. My bets on the altinator belt.

I can agree with Defiant. I have been in that position before. Its is most likely the harmonic dampener. I went through two of them on my 1g. i just went to a salvage yard and picked up a couple off some other 1g's for spares and just swapped them out whenever the problem would arise. The swap is not to hard, I had a Chilton's book for my 1g to walk me through it and it made it easy.

i believe it's a 19mm socket. You can rent a harmonic puller at an auto parts store. don't loose the half moon!! You can use an impact gun taking it off but don't use it to tighten it back up. it will cause "bad vibration" through the crank and might affect the bearing positions. You can also rent a chain lock to hold the balancer when you tighten it up.

I changed the belts today. It was a pain in the butt but I got it done. My problem was I didn't know the adjuster had to be lowered for the alternator to move closer. Anyway before putting the belts I made sure every pulley was in good shape and indeed they were. I got the goodyear belts they sell at autozone and it's working pretty good (no grinding or squealing or anything). I put some tension on them and will check in a couple of days for any readjustments. Thank you guys.

Hello again. After a day or two of putting the belts, they started squealing so I tightened them up to which I believe is a reasonable tight (like the good old way, grab the belt halfway between pulleys and turn it if it goes more than 90 degrees is loose). However it is still squealing (less than before), and now the pulleys make a weird noise (kind of like boiling water) specially when I rev up. I am afraid to drive like this so I will check the pulleys again, does any of you think this is related to the tension? and any other tips on how tight should the belts be, and is it the same for both belts??

The pulleys look fine, they are in place and aligned. I went to NAPA auto parts and the guy told me to spray some WD-40 and I did. It stopped the squealing, but I still hear that noise. However my girlfriend told me the car has had that noise since I got it. It's not a bad noise or something uncommon, it's just I thought the noise started when I replaced the belts. I will double check when I have the time. I'm just worried on how tight should the belts be, any tips?

I do not have access to a tension meter, and I don't want to take it to a shop and get charged for it.

You can estimate belt deflection by pulling on them and measuring how far they move from resting position. It's not exactly scientific, but it works... I look for around 1" deflection or less. Over-tightening can quickly kill accessory bearings and under-tightening can cause slippage and squealing. I wouldn't put WD40 or any type of belt dressing on any belt. Those are just bandaids for an underlying problem.

I went to NAPA auto parts and the guy told me to spray some WD-40 and I did. It stopped the squealing, but I still hear that noise.

That is so typical of a high schooler hired at a local parts store. The auto industry is dying from a lack of requirements to work in the industry. But what do I know.

Yeah, it didn't make sense to me WD-40 is an oil based spray, and if the belt squeals is because they are slipping. Oil does not prevent slipping! However he said that the WD-40 would moisture the belt again that it might have dried because all of the rain we've had. Anyway, my belt (alternator) is still squealing but just a tiny bit. I have some belt dressing and I'm thinking about spraying it in there. I think the belts are tight enough, I rather have them a little loose than over tight anyway. The squeal is barely audible anyway, it improved a lot since I tightened it.

Hey Guys,

new here, just picked up a 95 TSi AWD as a DD to work and such.

the car is clean, and in real solid condition for a 12yr old car!

however, i do have a question for you guys.

the car came with a 3-pod A-pillar with boot, narrow band (techno light show gauge), and voltmeter.

assuming that the voltmeter is hocked up correctly, as it seems to be due to its readings corresponding with the readings on a multi-meter.

when the car is cold started, its runs a normal 14.4-14.7 volts....however once the car warms up the system voltage drops to the high 12's -low 13V range, and a belt slip noise becomes audible once i get into the throttle.

i have replaced the belts(both alt and PS) and tried all variations of belt tension, but all to no avail.

any tips?

i'm pulling the alternator today to swap it for a different one to see if theres an issue with alternator its self.....

i dont hear any barring grind from the unit its self and i know its capable of out-putting proper voltage because its just fine and dandy at start up.

i'll admit that i was a bit to stupid, hot, and tired to spin the alternator by hand when i had the belt off yesterday....stupid me.

also, last question, is there an introduction area? i'd like to introduce myself and my modest plans so that i can contribute a bit more effectively and start gathering tips on my plans.

thanks-

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back