The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G alternator 16-17 volts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyk4life

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
san clemente, California
my alternator lights keep going off in my dash and when they do go off evrything dimms in the car, i checked it out and the alternator is putting out around 16-17 volts, my battery has been good i dont smell any plastics burning or battery acid, my car just feels sluggish, o and one more thing, how many ohms are the spark plug wires supposed to be at? thanks

if you have a stock dsm alt, you should only be putting out between 12 and 13.5 volts. 15 volts if you've done a custom wiring job. 15 is the max i've heard off and that was at idle. Either way, 16 to 17 volts is going to fry your battery, and possibly catch something on fire. I'd check into it asap.

16 or 17 volts way to high gonna start frying stuff man. First guess would b alternators voltage regulator. I have seen before a batteries internal plates do to corrosion caught fire to a car and a week ahead of time his alt was putting out crazy voltage like yours. 14.7 is normal alternator out put sometimes little lower up 15 ok 16 is pushing it but 17 u got problems take alternator off and have auto zone check it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back