The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Alternative wheel/tire specs for drag racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagine-02

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2008
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily going to run this purposed wheel/tire setup, I'm just wondering what if. Also ignore fender rubbing. "Poking" as the stance crowd says, is fine with me. I'm more worried about rubbing the inner side of the wheel wells, brakes, and suspension.

The norm seems to be 15x7 wheels with 235/60-15 or 24.5x8.5-15 or 26x8.5-15 tires. Or 16x7 wheels with whatever tires... But what if someone wanted to go wider.

I'm looking into 15x9 wheels, but not sure what size tire. Maybe a 275/50-15?
I'm thinking the ET should be around +15 (5.6" backspace) for a 15x9, since +40 (5.6"backspace) is used with 15x7 wheels.

I'm also interested in a setup using 15x8 wheels. Could probably use 235/60-15 on these too, but could you maybe go with a wider tire?

I'm using this tire/wheel calculator:
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Last edited:
I'm also interested in this. With the exception being that I have a 1g (like a lot of folks on here) and my 1g uses the standard KYB full size front shocks (again, like many of us here), my question would be the following (1g AWD with stock diameter front and rear shocks)

What wheels, offset, etc (and tires) would bolt right onto a 1g with stock(ish) suspension?

EX: Rota slipstreams 16x7 (+45) with Hoosier 26x9.5x16 (something along these lines)

15x9 welds would definitely work.

What's the goal of wider rims? wider tires > increased grip?

I run 235/60-15 on 15x7 and I have yet to lower the tire pressure at the track, but the normal-pressure grip is pretty crazy on the street. 15psi launches (2.3/3052/auto) ramping pretty much immediately to 27psi on stock cams (!) makes for a painful, tunnel vision experience. Pretty cool.

I wouldn't mind slightly taller if I could swing it, but the tires seem wide enough to do the job. I'll have to wait until next year to see if the car can launch effectively at the track, I know it's a different ballgame.

yeah more grip is mainly the point.
And looking for some pro & cons.
I could see weight being a major con with the wider wheels & tires. Weld wheels are pretty damn light though.

If you drag race I would go straight to slicks as a dedicated set. 235/60-15's will be pretty wide on 9" wheels, and weld gets you strength and light weight which is awesome. I would really try to verify fitment before dropping the $$, it'll be a pretty penny for the setup and you might as well get it perfect if it's going to be custom. I recall a few high power FWD's with custom weld fronts, you might get lucky with fitment/sizing verification.

My car is a street/strip car in that order, so I compromised with the M&H racemasters. I regret nothing :cool:

The point of going to a 9" wide wheel would be to run 275/50-15 tires. It would be silly to stretch 235/60-15 onto them for drag racing.

The type of tires I've had in mind for this are M&H Street & Strip.

16x8 forgeline rims w/ 245/50R16 Nitto 555r Drag Radials 10 psi all the way around. Best 60 ft was a 1.51 thus far. The bad is ive only gone it once with the car.My best 330 was not my brst 1/8 mile time or 1/4 mile time either. With more seat time. It should do high 5s and or low 6s in the 1/8 @120 or so in 2013 on e85. Last year the all times were done with c16 and 42 or less PSI.

I remember reading somewhere that Kiggly said he swapped his 8" wheels for 10" wheels and it lowered his 60' so you should go with the widest wheel you can for the tire you are wanting to run. Good luck!

The norm seems to be 15x7 wheels with 235/60-15 or 24.5x8.5-15 or 26x8.5-15 tires. Or 16x7 wheels with whatever tires... But what if someone wanted to go wider.

I'm looking into 15x9 wheels, but not sure what size tire. Maybe a 275/50-15?
I'm thinking the ET should be around +15 (5.6" backspace) for a 15x9, since +40 (5.6"backspace) is used with 15x7 wheels.

I'm also interested in a setup using 15x8 wheels. Could probably use 235/60-15 on these too, but could you maybe go with a wider tire?

I'm using this tire/wheel calculator:
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
I know this thread is about 10 years old, so might be hard to recall but what did you end up running for wheel size and did you like the performance you got out of it ?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back