The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Alternative Fuel E85 E-85 Ethanol Corn Gas E70 (Advanced) [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TranceNRG

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2005
Detroit, Michigan
THIS WILL BE RESERVED FOR ADVANCED E85 QUESTIONS, NOT "IS IT POSSIBLE?" THE BEGINNER E85 THREAD IS HERE FOR THOSE TYPES OF QUESTIONS ---> http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/59040-e85-ethanol-corn-gas-beginner-merged-5-24-8-a.html?highlight=E85+MERGED

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL MAKE THE INFORMATION MORE CENTRALIZED AND EASIER TO FIND FOR THE DSM'rs WHO ARE SERIOUSLY WANTING TO DO THE CONVERSION OR HAVE DONE IT AND HAVE MORE DETAILED QUESTIONS. Below is a quick Ethanol/E85 (Advanced) rundown before you start reading through the merged threads, maybe this will answer you question a bit sooner. To quickly navigate this thread for keywords use the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" tool located in the top right hand corner of this post.

THANKS,

GOFER
__________________________________________________​

gofer said:
The stock tank and fuel lines will work fine running E85 and you don't have to change timing on your car when you convert to E85. The smallest pump you'll want to run is a Walbro 255 (rewired), its convenient because it drops right in with a cheap install kit and its a bit cheaper then a Bosch. When you upgrade to such a high flowing fuel pump you'll also need to grab a adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR) to keep everything in check. I also suggest (its not necessary) to upgrade to a FueLab fuel filter with a 40 micron metal element, the Ethanol will eat the OE paper filter over time.

Depending on what time of year it is or your location will determine what type of Ethanol you have available at the pump. Gas stations receive E100 (100% Ethanol) year round and then blend it with 87 octane gasoline and depending on the blend (E85 or E70) it will change the ethanol content rating, octane, and specific gravity of the fuel itself. The typical blends are summer (E85) and winter (E70) which is the MINIMUM amount of ethanol blended with gasoline.
Winter blend (E70)- 70% E100 (113oct) and 30% pump (87oct) with a final octane rating of 105.
Summer blend (E85)- 85% E100 (113oct) and 15% pump (87oct) with a final octane rating of 109.​

FINDING OUT WHAT INJECTORS YOU NEED
Since the chemical makeup of ethanol is different you must account for it in your injectors flow rating. To do so you use the following equation by inputing the injectors flow rated on gas multiplied by 0.67. For example, I'll use 750cc injectors and estimate the flow capabilities of them running E85.
750 x 0.67 = 502.5​
After you make the switch to E85 your 750cc injectors will flow 502cc which you'd find out isn't even enough to support the airflow of a 16g turbo.

For you mathematicians, you can also do the equation backwards if you know what size of injectors you would need for you turbo setup on pump gas. For example, a 20g turbos max airflow is 52 lbs/min so on pump gas you would need 880cc injectors to support it.
"pump rated injector flow" x 0.67 = 880
"pump rated injector flow" = 880 / 0.67
"pump rated injector flow" = 1313cc​
After doing the above equation you find that a 1300cc injector will flow about 880cc which is what you want to support a 20g, so before you convert to E85 you need to get 1300cc injectors!​

:dsm:
Like the title says, what did you use to convert to E85?

Last edited by a moderator:
Low timing will result in high EGTs due to the fuel burning while its exiting the cylinder and burning in the exhaust manifold. Thus, high EGT's, perfectly safe and cooler in the combustion chamber. EGT's read just that exhaust gas, if you had a cylinder temp sensor, then that would be cool. On pump gas alone to get away with 20~25psi of boost and 11:1 AFR's I usually pull timing back to about 10*, resulting in pegged EGT guages. People freak the hell out, but I tell them the same thing above. They drive home with the new found power and it keeps rocking for years to come, pegging the EGT, and they usually come back to take it out. LOL
EGT's are old school, two reasons for egts to go up, car knocking and pulling timing (late burning fuel) or lean mix. Cylinder temps are important, not exhaust manifold temps. EGTs are misleading.

Low timing will result in high EGTs due to the fuel burning while its exiting the cylinder and burning in the exhaust manifold. Thus, high EGT's, perfectly safe and cooler in the combustion chamber. EGT's read just that exhaust gas, if you had a cylinder temp sensor, then that would be cool. On pump gas alone to get away with 20~25psi of boost and 11:1 AFR's I usually pull timing back to about 10*, resulting in pegged EGT guages. People freak the hell out, but I tell them the same thing above. They drive home with the new found power and it keeps rocking for years to come, pegging the EGT, and they usually come back to take it out. LOL
EGT's are old school, two reasons for egts to go up, car knocking and pulling timing (late burning fuel) or lean mix. Cylinder temps are important, not exhaust manifold temps. EGTs are misleading.
I guess I thought high EGT's and CC temps went hand in hand?

Heres a post on ECMLink that Adam actually started, #6 is what Kris was referring to. You did mention running only 10* peak and melting plugs on E85, that would seem like timing isn't advanced enough at least to Kris and I...

How the heck did this happen?

You could also install some NGK BR8ES plugs, which are the non projected tips and are a bit colder burning, thats what I had you tune my car with and they've been great.

:dsm:

Last edited:
I went to the track last night and picked up .6 ET and 9 MPH from when I went 2 weeks ago with 91 octane and 24 lbs of boost. I switched to E85, lowed the boost to 20, and increased the timing about 7*. I'm an E85 believer now. To see the time slip info, click here. Keep in mind, 14b, FWD, street tires, full interior, and no track prep.

That's great !!!

Once you upgrade your turbo, you're going to put down some awesome times.
I myself, just switched to e85 last night. We now have 2 gas stations with e85 here in Orlando and I'm loving it.

Congrats on your new best time :rocks:

That's great !!!

Once you upgrade your turbo, you're going to put down some awesome times.
I myself, just switched to e85 last night. We now have 2 gas stations with e85 here in Orlando and I'm loving it.

Congrats on your new best time :rocks:

Thanks! Yeah I originally had no plans to use e85, plus it wasn't avilable in my city. However, they just built a new e85 station literally 2 minutes from my house, I was getting knock on pump, and Corey suggested I try e85. Now I'm hooked. I think you will be very happy with e85!

I have read today all pages about this fuel, wonderful info.

Someone before I think thinks that a 9 plug is hotter than an 8, NGK list their number the higher the # the colder the plug, AC delco, champion, etc do it the opposite way.

Only a note so in case someone wants to use a different brand of plug.

arrowhead

Also there is no need for an plug cooler the bpr7's when running e85...

please tell me why you think this because you have definetly never used e85 then

e85 burns colder and is more dention resistant but also needs more timing
to burn efficiently

with the higher boost and more timing being ran with e85 the use of hotter plugs is still needed

i run br9es in a 20g car and almost need 10s on hot track days, but i guess i just don't know what i'm talking about right?[/QUOTE]

My previous post was referring to this about the heat range you are in fact running a colder plug not a hotter one with the 9.

T only time you the only time when you might see a difference is during winter and summer because of the air density but that would be another story, the pro. teams even take baro press. and humidity for their fuel mix and plugs
arrowhead

Made the switch to E85 a week before the ShootOut, installed my ARP head studs the night before the ShootOut.

Did a bunch of street tuning. Here is what she is doing.

20g Turbo @ 24-25psi
Peak Timing hits 19 degrees with ZERO knock.
AFR is a high 11. At the moment.

My FIRST ever drag pass…ever…like ever being at a real drag track…staging…adrenaline had me shaking at the line…I ran a 12.7 @ 111. I have a video on YouTube, ill have to post that up. Not too shabby for a purpose built AutoCross car.

Ran AutoCross at the ShootOut and won the DSM Class.

I still need to do some fine tuning, but overall my 20g setup has completely woken up. I bumped all my timing up to spool the turbo and its very streetable and hits hard.

E85 – FOR THE WIN!

Welp, I tried it... tune was spot on, 11.6-11.8 A/F, bumped timing up to 13-15... no knock reported... headgasket didn't like it. Time for an MLS I think... Combo is 2g head, 6 bolt shortblock, ARP head studs, I used a composite headgasket when I put it together. Does mitsubishi make a MLS 6 bolt gasket?

Welp, I tried it... tune was spot on, 11.6-11.8 A/F, bumped timing up to 13-15... no knock reported... headgasket didn't like it. Time for an MLS I think... Combo is 2g head, 6 bolt shortblock, ARP head studs, I used a composite headgasket when I put it together. Does mitsubishi make a MLS 6 bolt gasket?

How many psi were you pushing? I've been running 12.1 afr with 16* advance up top @ 35psi on a s366 with a composite hg.

To answer your question, Mitsubishi does make a MLS hg.

How many psi were you pushing? I've been running 12.1 afr with 16* advance up top @ 35psi on a s366 with a composite hg.

To answer your question, Mitsubishi does make a MLS hg.

A whole 24 psi out of my E3-16g... VRSF FMIC

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back