The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Altered Mental Status(1G AWD 5spd)

Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drove the car up the road today to get the tires put on it, and totally forgot that it's July 4th. Sigh.

I don't really think it's fair that all these places are now suddenly deciding that holidays are worth taking off. I remember working at this exact company back in my teens and not getting the 4th off or any holiday really except like Christmas. Now every business is closed every single sunday, and every holiday no matter how small.

I feel like an old man saying this, but that ain't fair. Let these little bastards suffer like we did. F*ck them kids. :p LOL

Converted the car to speed density today, subsequently its running like ass and not responding to adjustments to try to lean the idle out.

I made a help thread in the tuning section. Please help. Lol. But I'll post the same log here too just in case.

Issues: Won't idle on its own for more than about 30 seconds, then it dies like you turn the ignition off. If you give it a little gas, it idles fine. No hesitation, no bogging.

It also is running rich at idle, and no amount of VE adjustment on the Speed Density tab, or global fuel makes a bit of difference. Please halp. Why is it doing this?

Update: Okay so I was just adjusting the wrong cells in Speed Density tab. Facepalm. I'm a newb with ECMLink's SD so I had no clue those numbers on the left didn't coincide with MAP sensor, it's a combo.

Adjusting the proper cells has the idle AFR way closer to where I want it, and it idles on its own now without assistance. Occasionally it has a...stumble? But honestly, it's smoother than on the MAF by a lot. So we can cross that off.

However the problem has progressed to now it has a very slight hesitation/stumble when I stab the gas, and after the RPMs comes back down it stumbles, bumbles, and dies. I'm assuming it's because the rest of the SD table isn't tuned/adjusted, and probably some tip-in adjustment needs to be made too.

Either way here's a newer log. Check it out, call me out, let me know. Drop some knowledge into my skull.

Edit #2: Also, after messing with the harness, I think the Map Sensor connector is a POS. It's a green one that was included with this harness pre-made, and I think it's not fully connecting/seating the pins in the connector. Because if I wiggle it, the sensor "dies" on the log. So, that's probably part of the problem as well. I have the OG GM connector that came with my map sensor that is slightly shorter and the pins sit closer to the "opening" of the connector, so I'll solder that on tomorrow and mess with it more. But so far...it's progress. I think SD is gonna make this thing idle and drive like a champ.

Attachments

Last edited:
Alright well everyone I've asked for help with speed density has ignored me, so I just switched back to the MAF sensor. Fired right up, idles and revs perfect, nothing to chase or hunt down. I'm just gonna stick with MAF until it becomes a restriction or headache.

Probably honestly gonna stop updating this thread too and just make a private record on my own so I don't spam the forums anymore. Give other people a chance to build their thread up.

Appreciate the input from everyone. Good luck everybody.

I’d help Corey but I don’t know squat about that stuff yet, other than watching videos and reading. But that doesn’t do much until I’m hands on with it and see what stuff actually does.

Alright well everyone I've asked for help with speed density has ignored me, so I just switched back to the MAF sensor. Fired right up, idles and revs perfect, nothing to chase or hunt down. I'm just gonna stick with MAF until it becomes a restriction or headache.

Probably honestly gonna stop updating this thread too and just make a private record on my own so I don't spam the forums anymore. Give other people a chance to build their thread up.

The switch from MAF to SD can give similar results, as I switch back to MAF for SMOG testing with minimal changes. Most of the pain is related to finding the sweet spot in closed loop so that LT and ST fuel trims hover around 0% using fuel pressure and dead times.

I suggest starting a SD specific thread - post some ECM Link logs, and get feedback.

Last edited:

Don't get down on SD, it's a bit of a struggle sometimes. I find it brings out weirdness on your motor and VE than mass air does. Mass air is like.. entire tenths of the VE table all averaged together. SDs ability to isolate 500rpm vs 3psi or so is what makes it so special.

That being said, lots of people here run SD and tweak their own tables.. but many will not opt to provide advice because of the fear of providing maybe the wrong or not exactly perfect advice and then others coming down on them overly hard as if it was some sort of conspiracy to steer you wrong purposefully and spreading misinformation.

You gotta load in a "stock" SD table and leave it be for the most part. Changing all those cells to 35 is wrong. You complain of it hesitating when you give it throttle, but it dips super lean because you told the ECU those values. And even if those cells worked perfectly, the engine doesn't jump from 35 to the 60s in a millisecond. It's like having a crazy jig jag sliders for Mafcomp, no ones engine runs that jagged.
The SD table on my cars, be it a 16g or 6266, are like 98% untouched. Some cells during spool I'll tweak very little, and I aim to have peak VE for the cells to be 100 so I'll do some work around there. It's very very tempting to mess with the table. It's instant satisfaction and so easy to do and you can literally do it on the fly. But trust me when I say leaving it alone is the way.

You should also look at TPSDelta, which you have logged. It reaches a value of ~2 when you punch the throttle. This value can be used for adjustments to BaseTipInTPSAdj in DA. See how column 2 there has a used value of 5? Experiment with this table. Rather than 5, make it 10. Aggressively adjust it. But again, the cell this area is working with you changed to 35 when it should be much higher. So maybe this is moot.

On top of that for throttle response and helping with the bogging upon rev-down, lots of that is the timing table in DA. That is something I'm still actively learning but would be more than happy to lay out everything I've figured out with that.

What's a log with using the MAF look like?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back