The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Altered Mental Status(1G AWD 5spd)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Really not happy with @Gsx-Dude / Dudes Custom Parts right now. Bought a complete 90 shifter assembly rebuild kit from him and honestly I can’t be more unimpressed if I tried. He won’t answer any email I send him(weeks ago, multiple emails), and after it finally arrived 5 weeks later, it arrived in a terribly built little hack job box that was slightly open, and after pulling the kit out, I discovered it’s missing a piece(the shifter cup on the bottom of the shifter itself)

Reach out to him on Facebook and still no answer.

I'm gonna give him a chance to make it right, but man...after $200 and 5+ weeks of waiting to get a box missing parts isn't a good look.
Ughhhh sad to hear this. I just ordered from him in March and still waiting for my parts. No replies either.

Ughhhh sad to hear this. I just ordered from him in March and still waiting for my parts. No replies either.

Have had way more people than I expected reaching out to me privately all stating that they are having the same issues. A few of them mentioned they've ordered from him before a significant time ago and it was within a few weeks, but that they ordered from him again recently and they're still waiting on parts/he goes radio silent.

So yeah. Dude has some answering to do.

Honestly, if you're overwhelmed with orders you need to stop orders for a little while and catch up. Or tell people it's backordered stuff and express that turnaround times are gonna be 2X longer than normal. Something. Don't just go radio silent and make people wait.

Update: he reached out to me/responded to my facebook message, and offered either an immediate refund, or the part shipped out via priority. I elected the part, because I want the full experience.

Overall, mistakes happen, important thing is that it was handled effectively and professionally, and in a timely manner. Shit happens and so do mistakes, so honestly I'm happy. It's a quality kit. Just some advice to future peeps, don't bother with emailing him. Reach out to him on Facebook, or PM him here. Got waaaaay faster answers for that avenue. But yeah, standup guy.

Last edited:
Well my shifter stuff was here and it’s a pretty day, so I wanted to do one last thing before I go back to work, and that was install it all. To say it makes a huge difference is an understatement like a hydrogen bomb explodes kinda big.

But I already did the shifter itself yesterday while sitting in my living room. Here it is.

IMG_5737.jpeg

All buttoned up and firm AF. It’s so firm the spring has a little trouble pulling it back. Im hoping as everything wears that it loosens up just a tad.

But here’s a nice before and after. Old shifter vs new one.

IMG_5739.jpeg
IMG_5740.jpeg

Now on to the fun stuff. Put in the shifter base bushings and threw the interior shift linkage bushings in.

IMG_5742.jpeg

Next up was the shifter linkage bracket on the trans.

IMG_5743.jpeg

Much better.

Next up the actual shifter arm and shift stopper.

Before pics

IMG_5744.jpeg

IMG_5745.jpeg

Aaaand after
IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

Shift stopper is tight AF in there man, but hopefully it wears a little.

And finally is something semi-controversial but I don’t care about this trans tbh.

IMG_5750.jpeg

Shifter bushings!

Overall experience of install is super easy, but my GOD does it firm up the shifter assembly. It’s actually takes muscle to push it over to 5th/R area, and it doesn’t really return to the middle like the stock shifter assembly does. I lubed the shifter base and interior assembly but nothing on the trans side, so not sure if that’s normal or not, but bruh when you put it in gear it feels mechanical. Like it’s a rod connected directly to the gear instead of linkage. Crazy!

Here’s a couple videos too.

First up is comparing the rebuilt shifter vs the one that was temporary.

You can see the difference, Lol. It's insane how tight it is.

And here's the actual shifting action. It sounds as mechanical as it feels. I can't describe how tight and little to no give there is.

Overall, super happy. But ugh I just wanna get this damn clutch fixed already.

Here’s a couple videos too.

First up is comparing the rebuilt shifter vs the one that was temporary.

You can see the difference, Lol. It's insane how tight it is.

And here's the actual shifting action. It sounds as mechanical as it feels. I can't describe how tight and little to no give there is.

Overall, super happy. But ugh I just wanna get this damn clutch fixed already.

So is this a short shifter of sorts? Or just an upgrade over stock?

So is this a short shifter of sorts? Or just an upgrade over stock?

It doesn't shorten the shift throw or anything, it just replaces legitimately every single bushing in the entire shifting assembly/line(shifter, cables, transmission) with a machined brass one. So it takes every bit of slack possible completely out.

Long story short: upgrade over stock. Makes it feel like a BMW shifter.

New flywheel has been checked by Tim Zimmer at .608” all over in every spot. So woot.

I’m gonna buy a new OEM clutch master cylinder as well just to eliminate a future problem, and the fact that the rod for it is rusted to the point that I can’t actually adjust it any longer.

Just watch the fingers on the pressure plate before you put the trans back on. If they're totally flat, you're likely still going to have a problem and it's potentially a fat disc causing the issue.
Otherwise, the last variable is a bad pressure plate.

Just watch the fingers on the pressure plate before you put the trans back on. If they're totally flat, you're likely still going to have a problem and it's potentially a fat disc causing the issue.

Either way I hope the clutch isn’t the problem. Be a huge bummer if it is.

I’m tempted in that case to just wait, and not buy a new master yet until I install everything and double check. Good thing is I can replace the master without pulling the trans. Really hoping it’s the flywheel though.

Nah, man. Freshie clutch MC and you should be golden.

I hope so brotha, for sure.

Gonna focus more on the tune this weekend. I feel like as long as I keep from using the clutch it’ll be fine in the short term. I just want to get it ironed out where it’ll idle like a champ and the literal only thing I’ll need to address is actually driving it.

It’s got a weird intermittent misfire that I haven’t had a chance to address because of climbing the transmission mountain and Clutch Peak. But feel like doing something so might as well.

Hopefully it’s something dumb. The fact it’ll randomly idle perfect and not misfire gives me hope that it’s not a dead cylinder.

Do you have another set of injectors you could borrow?

Pointless anecdote: I've had a warm very random misfire ever since I went 2g ecu and fic-750s in my 1g. Now that I have a 2g, it's the same situation since I have a 6 bolt. It followed me across generations. Wasn't sure if it was green top case related or the injectors. So I'd say try another set of you can.

Do you have another set of injectors you could borrow?

Pointless anecdote: I've had a warm very random misfire ever since I went 2g ecu and fic-750s in my 1g. Now that I have a 2g, it's the same situation since I have a 6 bolt. It followed me across generations. Wasn't sure if it was green top case related or the injectors. So I'd say try another set of you can.

Worth a try. I’m gonna pull codes when I mess with the tune. If it says injector fault, then I’ll believe it.

These injectors sat in the car, for like 10 years straight. Lol. I honestly should probably have them cleaned and flowed at this point.

Poked around a little today, and fixed the "misfire". I reset all the settings I could find in ECMLink back to OG(something I should've done a while ago, because this was bought secondhand with a tune already in it), and it must've been an enrichment or SD setting still messing with it, because it idles right where I tell it to and doesn't misfire. Revs quick and immediately responds to throttle input.

The problem now...and what made me stop immediately and do nothing else, is when the clutch pedal is pressed THAT'S when the idle drops and it struggles to stay running. Especially in gear. So the clutch is directly affecting idle, either by pressing so hard on the flywheel that it's actually slowing the engine's idle, or by dragging so much it does the same thing. So honestly, I'm pretty happy where the idle/tune settings are right now. I really feel like it'd drive like a champ when I can actually have a functioning clutch system in the car. Very happy. I just hope at this point there's no physical damage to the engine or bearings because of that. I've learned my lesson from the transmission SNAFU. LOL.

Hey man I’ve been meaning to say this, knowing you’re an EMS responder, THANK YOU for your service. You’re literally a life saver:pray: I hope you get to enjoy your car soon:rocks:

All I can say is thanks for the kind words, but I'll be 100% honest the 'thanks for your service' is one of the things we say sarcastically to each other. Both as a joke, and a way to keep people's heads down here on earth where it belongs. I don't expect anyone to thank me for my service(even though I really appreciate it!) because in the end I chose to do this job, and I continue to choose to do it. It's no different than the guy who wakes up every day at 6am to open a convenience store, or the dude who is up at 2-6am emptying dumpsters or etc. I like the job too, so it would be like someone thanking you for your service because you're working on your DSM. Lol.

But yeah. No ego here, but very much appreciate the thanks. :) 🤗

Randomly, I bought this a very long time ago for a better coolant overflow system.

It was like $8 including shipping, and came with the bracket pictured. Original thought was to just drill and tap a hole to mount it, but never got around to doing it due to transmission f*ckery.

IMG_5757.jpeg

Looks OEM, which is what I was going for.

But, after installing the transmission and deleting the stock clutch accumulator bracket, I noticed that the empty spot it left would probably be perfect to mount it. Using the OEM bolts, and the supplied bracket I'm pleased to report it works amazing. Fits right in nice and snug, and looks oem.

IMG_5758.jpeg

IMG_5759.jpeg

Just look at it. Perfectly nestled between UICP, MAF, and frame rail.

IMG_5760.jpeg

This line is waaaay too big, but I wanted to see how it would look routed and stuff, and it looks great. It takes 3/16" ID hose, so I'm gonna go get some tomorrow. It already includes hose inside the overflow bottle so you only need some to route it. I'm gonna buy enough to route it to the bottle, but also enough to route the "vent" portion away from the engine bay. Overall, very pleased. Again...$7.50, basically $8 shipped to my door.

Poked around a little today, and fixed the "misfire". I reset all the settings I could find in ECMLink back to OG(something I should've done a while ago, because this was bought secondhand with a tune already in it), and it must've been an enrichment or SD setting still messing with it, because it idles right where I tell it to and doesn't misfire. Revs quick and immediately responds to throttle input.

The problem now...and what made me stop immediately and do nothing else, is when the clutch pedal is pressed THAT'S when the idle drops and it struggles to stay running. Especially in gear. So the clutch is directly affecting idle, either by pressing so hard on the flywheel that it's actually slowing the engine's idle, or by dragging so much it does the same thing. So honestly, I'm pretty happy where the idle/tune settings are right now. I really feel like it'd drive like a champ when I can actually have a functioning clutch system in the car. Very happy. I just hope at this point there's no physical damage to the engine or bearings because of that. I've learned my lesson from the transmission SNAFU. LOL.

All I can say is thanks for the kind words, but I'll be 100% honest the 'thanks for your service' is one of the things we say sarcastically to each other. Both as a joke, and a way to keep people's heads down here on earth where it belongs. I don't expect anyone to thank me for my service(even though I really appreciate it!) because in the end I chose to do this job, and I continue to choose to do it. It's no different than the guy who wakes up every day at 6am to open a convenience store, or the dude who is up at 2-6am emptying dumpsters or etc. I like the job too, so it would be like someone thanking you for your service because you're working on your DSM. Lol.

But yeah. No ego here, but very much appreciate the thanks. :) 🤗
Just saying, no one swapping dumpsters or any other run of the mill job is likely to save lives every day. I think that was the point. Hey I build shit to building codes and life safety codes everyday, but I’m not really SAVING lives like you bro. Take the love when you can get it.. :cool:

Just saying, no one swapping dumpsters or any other run of the mill job is likely to save lives every day. I think that was the point. Hey I build shit to building codes and life safety codes everyday, but I’m not really SAVING lives like you bro. Take the love when you can get it.. :cool:

Fair point.

If I'm brutally honest, my worst fear is becoming arrogant or entitled. But I really do appreciate the kind words. It's just nice to finally feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I spent years jumping job to job, could never seem to hold one down. Even the Chef thing didn't really feel permanent. Something just clicked with this job though. Four years have gone by in the blink of an eye, and even if I loathe some of my co-workers and some of the astoundingly stupid reasons for people calling, I still enjoy the job.

But yeah. Stahp. You guys are making me blush and ruining my bad guy image. :p

Lucky you. I'm doing cloud security for a Fortune-whatever company. Been in InfoSec for 16 years, do not enjoy it. but it pays the bills. If you're doing something you feel you should be doing and love it, all the better. I'm envious and I have no idea what that actually feels like.. doing something you enjoy doing.

but, yes, you are already some measured amount of awesome purely because you do what you do on a daily basis.
I'm sure there's more awesome in there otherwise, too :p

Now, let's get your car sorted...

I've had random RPM drop in both my cars on idle with clutch-in, and each had endplay checking out <=0.006. If it's dragging down in gear, that's a big assed difference. If it's mimicing like you pulling off the clutch a bit to where it normally starts grabbing/dropping revs and you're not giving it gas to compensate, BUT your foot is still hard down on the clutch pedal, these are possibilities off the top of my head:

- MC adjustment rod is out
- too fat of a clutch disc
- PP is not properly releasing from the disc
- worn clutch pedal assembly
- wrong bore MC

Last edited:
Lucky you. I'm doing cloud security for a Fortune-whatever company. Been in InfoSec for 16 years, do not enjoy it. but it pays the bills. If you're doing something you feel you should be doing and love it, all the better. I'm envious and I have no idea what that actually feels like.. doing something you enjoy doing.

but, yes, you are already some measured amount of awesome purely because you do what you do on a daily basis.
I'm sure there's more awesome in there otherwise, too :p

Now, let's get your car sorted...

I've had random RPM drop in both my cars on idle with clutch-in, and each had endplay checking out <=0.006. If it's dragging down in gear, that's a big assed difference. If it's mimicing like you pulling off the clutch a bit to where it normally starts grabbing/dropping revs and you're not giving it gas to compensate, BUT your foot is still hard down on the clutch pedal, these are possibilities off the top of my head:

- MC adjustment rod is out
- too fat of a clutch disc
- PP is not properly releasing from the disc
- worn clutch pedal assembly
- wrong bore MC

The MC is suspect to me, because I can’t prove it’s an OEM unit. It’s also adjusted almost all the way out(to the firewall, no threads left on the pedal). I may pull it soon and just inspect it and see if it’s OEM.

I emailed southbend and they were thoroughly unhelpful. They didn’t give me a minimum thickness the plate should be and instead gave me a long winded email that essentially just said put the assembled clutch and flywheel assembly in a press and see if it disengages.

Some guy on th eother side of that email is saying to himself right now, "well, he didn't ask the right question..."

He actually CC’ed two other people and I think he forgot he did that because at the bottom was his email to two other guys asking “are we actually gonna tell him what the thickness is?” Like it’s some trade secret. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back