The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Alt power terminal shorted to ground?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_0ney_pit

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2007
Easton, Pennsylvania
So I swapped my starter harness to one in better shape. When I was done tried to start to car and it wouldn’t start anymore so I started checking stuff.

Found my alternator red ring terminal is shorted to ground, and it’s not the chassis harness which is what I was expecting it’s the alternator post with the nut.

Anyone seen this before?

Wait...What??? how are you checking it for a short to ground? your battery is connected to the alternator through that terminal, you would have a fire if it was shorted to ground and connected to your battery or at the least your alt wire would have melted or fuse would have blown, there would have been a small fireworks display when you reconnected your battery, you would know. The only thing I could think is that you connected your battery terminal backwards or your starter lead is touching the case at the starter for some reason.

How did you even conclude your alternator was an issue since you changed the starter wiring? The alt has little to nothing to do with the car starting, only recharging the battery and keeping electrical components operating while the engine is on.

Well I know starter was hooked up right because it cranked and fired a bit but wouldn’t catch and start

Used a multimeter on the setting in the picture. Just checked the same damn thing this morning and it said no short so dunno maybe the meters bad?

Attachments

• EE9CE884-B115-49D2-B992-FB73DCC392CD.jpeg
    EE9CE884-B115-49D2-B992-FB73DCC392CD.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 59
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back