The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Alpine 1243D subwoofer making no sound. No ohm reading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noid

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2007
Burlington, New_Jersey
It said car audio LOL.

I have a Alpine 1243D subwoofer that was running with a Audiobahn a2301T amp for about 3 months. Yesterday I started the car and the sub was making no sound. I connected another sub to the amp and it plays fine. I removed the sub from the box and tried to read the ohms ,but it takes no reading as if the circuit is open. I tried the multimeter on another sub and it read fine.
Any suggestions to what I should test next or what might be wrong would the sub be greatly appreciated. thank you.
The sub is rated at 600rms. 4ohms + 4ohms
The amp is rated at 210rms bridged 4 ohms.

Sub is probably bad. Open coil won't give you a reading just like that

It said car audio LOL.

I have a Alpine 1243D subwoofer that was running with a Audiobahn a2301T amp for about 3 months. Yesterday I started the car and the sub was making no sound. I connected another sub to the amp and it plays fine. I removed the sub from the box and tried to read the ohms ,but it takes no reading as if the circuit is open. I tried the multimeter on another sub and it read fine.
Any suggestions to what I should test next or what might be wrong would the sub be greatly appreciated. thank you.
The sub is rated at 600rms. 4ohms + 4ohms
The amp is rated at 210rms bridged 4 ohms.

Sub is most definitely dead. If there is any warranty on it I would send it in, other wise you have a good looking paper weight. Another question is how did you have the speaker wired? If you ran it in series your amp was seeing 8ohms of resistance and that combined with the low power of the amp would cause the sub to go bad. The deal with subwoofers is to always have more power than you need because it helps to prevent clipping. There are some debates on this but generally you want to have your amp's output between 60-75% of peak and your speakers operating between 75-85% (iirc) of peak. My recommendation would be to get a different amp or be willing to get a different speaker and better built box. That amp is rather weak unless you are only pushing a pair of small 2ohm speakers, it's not really intended to push subs.

If you want an affordable setup that will give you really good sound.

Kenwood KFC XW12 sub Ebay $69
Alpine PDX M6 amp. Ebay $295
(Full disclousre, I used to be a vendor for both of those companies and installed a lot of their products. I no longer work in that industry so I let my dealer licenses with those companies lapse though.)This is the setup I am running in my Durango and it sounds really clean.

Oh, and make sure you have real wiring kit, there are major differences between different companies 4ga power kits. I had customers bring me 4ga kits that were literally 50% insulation and wire equivalent to 12 gauge speaker wire. If your 4ga power wire has more than 3 mm of insulation, it is not a true 4ga wire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back