The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Almost killed me and my talon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRolla

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Well me, my buddy and his dog decide to go on a fishing trip. There is a pavement road that is pretty much abandoned and I like to cruise it pretty fast. There is a turn and then a straight away that I usually go WOT on.

I will admit I was an idiot and went a little too fast, I hit the turn, go wot out of the turn and hit the straight away but now with the power I have I'm not used to it. I hit the end of the straight a little to fast and there is a small turn. I hit the turn and the car goes into a drift.

I spin the car all the way around and go off a 10 foot drop into a ditch right in between two boulders. I was very lucky and the car is still ok. I lost my exhaust and dented the rear bumper. Anyways I learned my lesson on that one. If I would have hit one of the boulders I could have killed us and the car.

BE CAREFUL IN YOUR DSM!!!!

Damn dude glad you are alright. I had the same thing happen to me,except the whole drop and all. I wasn't expecting it to pickup how it did and ran out of road kinda qiuck.

Nice how you landed in between the boulders. Guess you won't be drift king anytime soon. :p

On a side note, I've done something as stupid as you except it was in the city among cars and people. I was in the far right lane and I started speeding up ahead of traffic. I was maybe going 55. Not fast highway wise but city wise, it's pretty fast. Well NYC has biker problems. This one biker zoomed out of nowhere in front of me. I cut a hard left to avoid him and I knew there were cars to my left so I cut back to the right after narrowly missing the guy. After that I started fishtailing since it just rained and I swear I thought I was going to die. However, maybe due to sheer luck, or maybe my tires, or too many hours playing Gran Turismo, I managed to keep cutting back and forth little by little till I regained control. One last stomp on the pedal straightened things out for good and I kept driving.

ROFL This is what the Track is for buddy!

Ever heard the term "slow is fast" and "fast is slow" :thumb:

I would say fix the car and relearn that turn. but thats condoning street racing. sorta....:notgood: SOO... I'm not going to say that.. :nono:
Might want to get a buddy with a big ass diesal. To pull those boulders out of the way. If they are not to big... but then again if you have buddies like me with 1200 foot punds of torque in these monster diesals.. They would spend all day trying to drag them as far as they could.. Just for the pure fun of it.

Anyways back on point.... Glad you made it out ok, Fook the car. its replaceable.. Your not... :)

damn, i bet that was scary as shit. a friend of mine did the same in his 240sx after he did an sr20 swap, he flew off the access road and into a ditch next to the freeway trying to hit his usual drift corners, screwed up his whole front end.

yea i do stupid things some times, but not with any one else in the car. cause if i mess up and wreck bad, atleast i took no one else with me.

Good to hear you, your friend, and your car is ok...

I never was much of a big speeder, but I used to be more on the reckless side when it came to turns, cornering.

I lost control in a similar way that you did maybe a year ago and spun out pretty bad at a speed that could've caused some serious damage if I were to hit anything. I learned my lesson, and learned my place, ( especially considering dsms are NOT all that good handling cars in example.) and no longer drive my car like its so planted to the ground just because its awd. All wheel drive can be very unperdicatable in those kind of situations because you think you have traciton and when you dont, it happens so fast. Theres too much to loose, and not worth it to drive that way.

This is why more people should sign up for autox, or road race or something and get that kind of stuff out of their system, were its all on a closed coursed and you cant fly off of cliffs or into other cars...

Thanks for your concerns guys. The dog was actually fine and looked happy. I feel real stupid and usually don't drive like that. Ive owned a dsm for over 8 years and have never drifted, lost control, wrecked or even gone off the road. I have one speeding ticket when I was doing a 2nd gear log in a 35mph and thats the only one I have.

I have a fiancee, a 3 year old girl and a two week old new born and this puts a lot into perspective. I was not even going to post about it, because how much of a jack ass I feel but maybe it will help others learn from my mistakes.

I will post up some pics but damage is very minimal. Just where my custom 3" SS exhaust ripped out the rear bumper. A weld at the top of the down pipe broke and a weld at the muffler and the rest just ripped out. I'm lucky I didn't rip off the turbo and manifold. LOL

The funny thing is I usually don't speed unless its up in the mountains where no one is at and not racing anyone. Always told myself thats the safest time to do it but I was wrong.

Lucky Ducky

takes a man to admit to his mistakes..

i almost spun (ie drift!) the aristo yesterday afternoon..going uphill around a corner i know like the back of my hand..had a 3 series chasing me up the mountain..he backed off after that.. (spun because i upped the boost and was being boost crazy..)

and after i straigtend out..2 cop cars cruised past like 15 secs later..lucky me (sweet new Audi A4s as a police cars..only in germany LOL)

edit:new 275/35/18s on the rear and still poor traction LOL

Here are some pics. The first pic is the approach. You can see the 90* turn I took and then I shot up the hill towards the camera. I didnt wreck at that turn.

The next pics are when I started sliding, my buddy took the pic in almost the middle of the slide, so there was still tire marks behind us.

Then there is where I wrecked down the hill, I wish we took a pic of the car down there. I was right inbetween the two boulders.

Attachments

• DSC00362 [].JPG
    DSC00362 [].JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC00364 [].JPG
    DSC00364 [].JPG
    111 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC00363 [].JPG
    DSC00363 [].JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC00365 [].JPG
    DSC00365 [].JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00366 [].JPG
    DSC00366 [].JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 311
Some more.

Attachments

• DSC00372 [].JPG
    DSC00372 [].JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 100_0045 [700].jpg
    100_0045 [700].jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_0044 [].jpg
    100_0044 [].jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC00367 [].JPG
    DSC00367 [].JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 312
Did you go off the road backwards? Looks like you spun around there. You got off easy with just the exhaust and bumper damage! Where is that...Tarryall? 11 Mile?

Yea I spun around and went off backwards, I was wot through the straight and didnt get off of the throttle in time. Thats on the way to 11mile.

OMG :rocks: I love that road! Just looks like Way to mutch Fun!! :thumb:

Get a truck and drag those rocks out of the way! Wow, just looking at thiose pics gets me excited. Cant wait for my drive home!

bet your car sounds a bit better now?

glad you're ok!

Mind putting it back between the boulders for a better effect? :p

LOL I should drive it down there again and take a pic, but I had to drive through a boulder field just to get on the road, not to mention the gopher holes I kept falling into. It was a pain. The exhaust is coming straight out of the o2 housing now so its pretty loud. I hate cruising but love the sound at WOT. It turns a lot of heads.

On a side note after this post Im on my way up to go fishing with the fiance. So I get to see my marks again. Im kind of excited, but Im betting I dont go WOT on that road again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back