The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A All Aluminum Radiator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonDraukner

Proven Member
Apr 3, 2014
Tacoma, Washington
After searching and searching.... and searching. I've found either outdated, half-baked or useless information. I'm looking for an all aluminum radiator for my 420A. I don't have any performance parts as of yet, but I plan on it and need a new radiator, so I figured why not go with what I will eventually need anyways. I've been searching and I cannot find an aluminum radiator for my Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (420A), but I did find one for a Dodge Neon (420A) of the same year. Will this fit my Eclipse?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmrad-neo-96/overview/

Also, I do plan on putting a Turbo in my Eclipse eventually, will this double row radiator get in the way and will I have to modify the way my fans are mounted? For that matter, should I buy new fans? Any; help, input, direction, or opinions would be appreciated.

You can get an aluminum radiator for a 4g63 powered eclipse and have a welding shop move the inlet/outlet.

Depending on the turbo setup you may need slim fans. You can set them up like the stock ones as pullers or you can mount them on the front of the radiator as pushers.

Another route is to go with an AFCO radiator and make custom pipes. This will give you a ton of room but AC will have to be deleted. I have an AfCO radiator on my 420a powered eclipse. Check out my build thread for pics.

I don't think I'll go the 4G63 route, because the one for the Neon I found has the inlet/outlet in the correct position already.

I'm really just concerned if the neon one will mount the same as the one in my eclipse and about the spacing. If nothing else, I could always modify the mounts for the radiator, but I would prefer a direct fit.

I will not be going AFCO, because although I want to burn rubber, I also want to be comfortable with my AC intact.

If your not willing to use a 4g63 version i would stop where your at as the 4g63 radiator is designed and intended for turbo which you said you want to do eventully

You say you will modify the mounts for the radiator to use a neon radiator but your not willing to have a cut and 2 welds done for prolly 30$ to know the radiator isnt going to fall out and know it will work 100%

If your not willing to use a 4g63 version i would stop where your at as the 4g63 radiator is designed and intended for turbo which you said you want to do eventully

You say you will modify the mounts for the radiator to use a neon radiator but your not willing to have a cut and 2 welds done for prolly 30$ to know the radiator isnt going to fall out and know it will work 100%

I didn't say I wasn't willing to, but I would rather not. You say the 4G63 radiator is designed for a turbo, does it have some port I am unaware of for a turbo? The reason I would like to go with the Neon radiator, is because it is full aluminum, double row, and designed for my motor. The 1996 Dodge Neon has a 420A engine just like the one in my 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse and if you've ever seen the engine bay of a Neon, it looks nearly identical to mine. If I must, I will go with a 4G63 radiator, but it would make more sense to me to go with a radiator design to fit my engine instead of butchering a radiator that is not. For that matter, if I can just modify any radiator to work with my engine, then why not buy a brand new one meant for a newer turbo'd car and cut that one up instead? I'm sure I could find a good deal on a radiator for a different car that is currently in production.

However, if you can explain to me why the 4G63 radiator would technically be better, it may change my point of view.

Back to my original question; has anyone ever used a neon radiator on their 420A and does it fit correctly?

I believe the neon radiator is 2" shorter. Look on Rockauto they have the radiator dimensions. I believe that's why no one has put the neon rad in the eclipse. Most people get the 4g rad and modify the hoses or where the holes are.

I believe the neon radiator is 2" shorter. Look on Rockauto they have the radiator dimensions. I believe that's why no one has put the neon rad in the eclipse. Most people get the 4g rad and modify the hoses or where the holes are.

Thank you, I didn't even thing to look at the dimensions. You are correct, the Neon radiator is shorter and not as wide as mine.

The reason i say go with the 4g63 radiator you know its direct fit in the spot just needs the spot for the hose changed and idk if there is a diffenece between a turbo radiator and not im gonna assume no as people use honda half radiators but then again im sure there is more to building them than it seems but seems you found your answer now knowing that the neon radiator wont fit

After searching and searching.... and searching. I've found either outdated, half-baked or useless information. I'm looking for an all aluminum radiator for my 420A.
That fluidyne is hard to come by in the last few years and if you do find one it won't be cheap.
We looked into this a while back and concluded there really are no more aluminum rads for 2g NT. If you really look you'll find a few sites that will display it on their site, but if you attempt to actually purchase one, they'll tell you they don't have any. As has been suggested in this thread your only options are getting a rad custom made (there are places that will do this) or you take an existing rad and modify it or else change the hose routing. A 2g turbo rad is the most common starting point.

Thanks for all the good information guys, I'll search around a little more now that I've actually seen one, but I don't have high hopes of finding a decent direct fit replacement. I will, in the end, probably just modify a 4G63 radiator.

EDIT: Also, should I go for a double row, or is a single row sufficient?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back