The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

airbox removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2004
St. Louis, Missouri
Searched and didn't find any relevant threads (yes there's the one on VFAQ but that didn't help much).

Before I go cut stuff up and what not tomorrow installing my filter (yay finally not quite stock), how do you remove the snorkel? Does it have to be cut or does it have to in order to remove the lower half of the airbox?

Also, can I remove the screen on the left side of the MAS? Just wondering

When you unclip the top of the airbox and take it off, the snorkel going to the inner fender also comes out. Lift out the air cleaner element, and there are..... 3? 4? screws with 10mm and #2 Philips heads. Unplug the MAS, pull off the BOV recirc hose and the two other rubber lines going to the elephant trunk (crankcase breather and evap cannister breather), loosen the hose clamp on the intake of the turbine (don't lose the rubber ring inside the bottom end) and lift out the whole pre-turbo intake. There are 4 bolts that hold the airbox on the MAS, and another hose clamp on the turbo side.

Don't bother with pulling the recirc snout out of the elephant to cut it off, just use a hacksaw blade and a bit of care. It's only plastic, it'll saw right off. It doesn't have to be flush, and don't cut into the rubber.

DO NOT fiddle with the intake grating in the MAS on a 2G.

If you put on an aftermarket K&N-style cone filter, you'll probably want a piece of strap aluminum to run from one of the adapter bolts down to where the airbox used to bolt in, to use as a support.

Defiant said:
When you unclip the top of the airbox and take it off, the snorkel going to the inner fender also comes out. Lift out the air cleaner element, and there are..... 3? 4? screws with 10mm and #2 Philips heads.
I think that's all I actually needed, since I only have the filter right now :( thanks for the intake install guide, I'll be sure to bookmark this :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back