The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

air shift??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyz250f

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
Is "air shift" a real thing I did a little reserch and on sport bikes it is used but is it used on cars more importantly on dsms? The reason I ask is because my friend was crusing the other night and he heard this bov sound coming from an eclipse and the kid said it wasn't a bov it was air shift. Is the kid that owns this eclipse retarded and thinks he has air shift and its not the bov noise? Or one of those stupid bov noise makers? Or is this a real thing?

I'm not sure what you think it is but air shifting is something we used on dirt bikes for shifting. It basically is a button shifting method that has a chamber full of air that pressurizes when you push the button and shifts the bike lightning fast. It is not used on DSM's in any way. He either doesn't know what kind of car he has and is venting his BOV. Or was a dick and just didn't wanna tell you that it was turbo'd. There is no real way to put "air shift" on a DSM.

I believe that it is also used in top fuels and funny cars and that sort of nature which need accurate fast shifting.

He is retarded, or he was just messing with you. Either way, he doesnt have air-shift on a dsm.

larsenracing said:
I believe that it is also used in top fuels and funny cars and that sort of nature which need accurate fast shifting.

Top fuel and Funny Cars don't shift.

That's what I thought, we have some retards around here.

BTW top fuel is unrealOMG I saw a guy run a 4.4 quarter at over 320 mph

Big Rigs also use air shift. Im sure it would be possible to do on a dsm, but kinda pointless for a street car.

motoman358 said:
Big Rigs also use air shift. Im sure it would be possible to do on a dsm, but kinda pointless for a street car.

I work on trucks and to date have not seen an air shifter persay. They do use an airsystem to switch between low, (mid on some), and high gear boxes; but you still have to shift the gears by hand. An air shift is not really practical for a street application because the valving would be too complicated. You would need a minimum of four valves and two switches to do it.

i know this is old as hell but still [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7jmBC5oY9o]Evo 8 dyno 6766 38psi e85 767whp in-car - YouTube[/ame]

The car in video has a different kind of shifter, a sequential one. It is similar to a motorcycle shifter and therefore is easy to air-shift since it only needs to be pushed or pulled, not moved in H patern like typical car shifter.

It's possible with a lot of money/knowledge:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWrIAX31c0]Air Shifted Dogbox Evo - YouTube[/ame]

Omg so many "dsm" ers and no-one knows thatstock mittsu 5speeds came with air assisted shift linkage making the sound original poster heard... similar to sound on first fast and furious green eclipse here is a quote from mittsus info center..."The 5-speed transmission uses a pneumatic shifter linkage, also known as the "Air-assisted" hydraulic shifter linkage" mine is non turbo and makes a shift blow off louder than most turboes :heystupid:do your research and you would be amazed.

Research man they have nuematic clutches MEANING air assisted there is a cylider in your shift linkage that uses AIR to disengage the clutch and when the pedal is released so is excess air meaning blow off "like a turbo" small enough port and right clutch it gives you the katink sound of your AIR ASSISTED shift linkage..... build a tranny and you'll get it

You are not fooling anyone and posting in the Newbie threads will not up your post count to get you into the classifieds. This isnt the Honda/Subaru forums.

No idea what classifieds are nor post count... my son's friend showed me this and other posts of everyone saying it's movie magic and I decided to inform people of the stock transmissions that have and how they can be upgraded to make desired sound.... that is all

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back