The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Air ride on gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac

Probationary Member
May 7, 2005
whiteman afb, Missouri
I was wondering if anyone has put air on a GSX or know anyone who has.

I've done the searches and found nothing on air ride for a GSX. I have even yahoo searched. I don't care for going fast, it goes fast enough for me. I had a bagged and body dropped truck before this car, I'm into going low. Anyone else?

find a non turbo GS then and put bags on that....ill find one in GC and trade ya :thumb:

I was thinking of that, but I'd rather just keep it. No big deal if I can't bag it though, I just wondered if anyone has one or know of one. I might just fabricate something up myself. I had a GS on air before the truck then I traded the truck for this GSX, Oh well anybody in Missouri want to trade?

Ah screw it, I'll just put my 2" drop springs on and call it a day, it's cheaper. :thumb:

Yeah I completely spanked a Mustang today and it felt really good. I think I'm addicted to speed now. I think $1500 worth of performance mods will be more fun than $1500 worth of suspension that will get old after a while. :thumb: :rocks:

good choice :dsm: :talon: :laser:
evo 3 16g, 2600 and lighter flywheel, boost controller, 3" exhaust,fuel mods,intake,intercooler and BOV, something to tune with, datalogger and suspension, other little bolt ons-2500-3500 depending on new or used

nice AWD launches without breaking anything running low 12s-priceless

air bags are nice and the suspension is even tighter and better than some piece of shit couilovers adn shox. they usually have five to 10 settings for firmnest for cruisin to autocross. plus its a way smoother ride than coilovers.

Are you joking? The regular "bags" that everyone buys that cost around $1500 for the kit sucks balls. The ride is terrible, the kit is unreliable, and the car sounds like it's falling apart everytime you play with the suspension. Why add all that extra weight to your car and have a terrible ride? The nice kits that cost $3000+ have a lot better ride and are nicer kits altogether, but like people say, why ruin a gsx for that stuff? If you have $3000 to blow on that crap then you can probably save up another $3000 and buy a n/t to do that to.

exzercist said:
air bags are nice and the suspension is even tighter and better than some piece of shit couilovers adn shox. they usually have five to 10 settings for firmnest for cruisin to autocross. plus its a way smoother ride than coilovers.

Ahahaha. Airbags and autocross. :tease:

theres a lot of cars that used air bags in high perf cars and trucks specially cuz they give you a nice smooth ride and can adjust them to hard for tighter turns and what ever. ive seen them on tv test them out and hard better ratings after wards. if you never drove or had a vehicle with air ride tech airbags then you shouldnt be replying.

Im 50/50 on air ride I have a vehicle on it right now. Its my 02 dodge 3500 daulie on full air ride with 4 bar link and pan hard bar no springs on 1/2" everything and 200 psi system it can bounce.

Here are the cons.
It can blow a bag any time I have blown them and been stranded.
They are bouncier
You need 4 way adjust or it will lean to one side

Pro's
Smooth and ccolness thats why I did it.

I concidered bagging my car but just lowered it with springs instead I could have bagged it but I would rather drive it and not worry about all the cons.

exzercist said:
theres a lot of cars that used air bags in high perf cars and trucks specially cuz they give you a nice smooth ride and can adjust them to hard for tighter turns and what ever. ive seen them on tv test them out and hard better ratings after wards. if you never drove or had a vehicle with air ride tech airbags then you shouldnt be replying.

I'm sure all that extra weight is worth the better handling over stock... Just get some good springs and shocks and be happy.

If its for a show car, then go for it. Whatever.

But if it's for a performance upgrade/ better handling, then poop shoot that idea. No need for all that crap in there for a better handling suspension.

... and can we call them shocks...not shox. :nono:

i saw an ad in a mag maybe modified mag i dont remeber. It was for air coilovers it said that it would provide handling like a normal set of coils but in car height adjustment. anyone know anything about this?

exzercist said:

yes and the "praxis" suspension for WRXs that is "so GOOOOOOD" got swapped out for a basic set of coilovers which greatly improved handling.

well sure when all u people hear "air bagged" you think of big boats for cars and s10 dropped to the ground. well if you paid any attention they are making air bags for performance cars to act as a performance upgrade just not for show. have you seen trucks when they put air bags in the joe gibbs edition becasue it performs even better then the high perfonace shit that was put in there to compete with the srt 10. but i guess you guys knew all this so i didnt need to say this. ROFL

exzercist said:
well sure when all u people hear "air bagged" you think of big boats for cars and s10 dropped to the ground. well if you paid any attention they are making air bags for performance cars to act as a performance upgrade just not for show. have you seen trucks when they put air bags in the joe gibbs edition becasue it performs even better then the high perfonace shit that was put in there to compete with the srt 10. but i guess you guys knew all this so i didnt need to say this. ROFL
exactly

And there is a big diference in getting a nice spring rate on the light rear of a truck instead of the huge load carrying springs.

Bags are for adjustability and smooth ride.

And like I said before the Praxis system which is the best ofthese performance kits of which you speak, gets outclassed in both performance and ride comfort by the cheapest set of Tein Coilovers that cost 1/3rd to 1/5th as much.

I'll add a bit to my comment and the performance of 3 air ride vehicles I have personally driven.

My ram its purely for show and I did air ride to get to lay frame end of story I run no shocks or sway bars or anything. Its a smoother ride then leafs and coils forsure and the handling is ok on it nothing to write home about but hell its got no shocks or sway bars ROFL

Next Caddie Escalade we have its air ride in the rear only I belive and its terrible its to soft sqwats and wonders all over the road on uneven pavement.

Next VW Toureg with fully adjustable air suspension, this thing actually impressed me for air ride at first you could rail turns and it stuck and had a smooth ride but ones the bags broke in a bit and softened up I don't like it now either same as the caddie wants to track the road and wonder around not to mention its a tad bouncy now.

Im not knocking air but I don't think personally its the best choice if you want a car that handles like its on rails.

Seeing how the only defense for the airbag system has been trucks or SUVs... that really doesnt strengthen the point your trying to install them on a 2 door sports car. Sure they are great for the larger vehicles, but as Attack Eagle said, higher gains could be seen from a simple set of coilovers... hell, even a nice shock/spring combo.

but, its your car so do as you wish.

To each his own.

WOW all I asked if anyone has seen or heard of a GSX with air ride. I just asked because I traded my bagged and 4" bodydropped s-10 tucking half of my 20" wheels for a GSX. And before the truck I had a 98 GS with air ride so I know how they don't ride very good and don't perform. I get air suspension parts for dirt cheap so I just thought I might go that route, but I already decided just to put my 2" drop springs on and call it a day. Thanx for all your input. :dsm:

At the risk of ruining this thread with technical information, please note that air ride only works when the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight is extremely high, such as on a very large vehicle or the trailer of a semi. Our cars have ratios that are under 10:1 (my front ratio is about 8:1 and my rear ratio is about 5:1), so air ride becomes a show-car mod and not a performance mod and, therefore, belongs in a different forum.

I think that Praxxis' attempt and total failure seals this point.

- Jtoby

jtmcinder said:
At the risk of ruining this thread with technical information, please note that air ride only works when the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight is extremely high, such as on a very large vehicle or the trailer of a semi. Our cars have ratios that are under 10:1 (my front ratio is about 8:1 and my rear ratio is about 5:1), so air ride becomes a show-car mod and not a performance mod and, therefore, belongs in a different forum.

I think that Praxxis' attempt and total failure seals this point.

- Jtoby

While some of us enjoy technical insight now and then, you'll never convince any of these people of anything, so I fear your attempt was in vain.

Not to derail the thread, but while we're on the topic of alternate suspensions, I can't help but wonder how the Bose setup would actually perform compared to traditional shock/spring setups. http://www.bose.com/controller?even...g/project_sound/suspension_challenge.jsp&ck=0

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back