The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Air. Nat. Guard

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D's GS-T

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 24, 2007
LaCrosse, Wisconsin
So i've been researching over the last few days about the National Guard, and decieded that i may consider joining. It would be a great way to get some extra money in my pocket for school, get some benefits, and serve the U.S while being a civilian all at once. I figured the guard would be best since i dont want to spend a ton of time (other than basic, and ait) away from my Fiance, and family and maintain a close to normal life, even though i am well aware i could be sent off anytime. I worked with a guy that was in the guard so im going to talk to him first hand to get some real info before i talk to the recruiters, but he was army guard not air guard. I wanted to kinda here from experienced people on here what the benefits are really like, whats the guard life is like now days, what questions to ask, and what to look out for when talking to recruiters. Im sure they just tell people what they want to hear, so i want to hear the whole story. Id like to go to my local tech school for diesel mechanic, and be able to serve as well. any imput is greatly appreciated

You want to join the Air National Guard of all things?

Again, with the inter-military branch bashing. How about we keep it strictly to the topic from the OP. I have family in the air guard and when I was getting out of HS, my uncle was trying to get me to go. Air National Guard, I would have been a Loadmaster. Loading and unloading C5 cargo planes. $20,000 sign on bonus and free school plus your only working a couple days, but yes at least you understand that they can send you off. Thats all of the experience I have with them.

I'm active duty in the Air Force and, honestly, what dsmking said is true. Any guard unit is looked down upon. Reason being is because for the guard, being in the military "is not their real job." I've been deployed with them and it makes me sick when I hear them say that.

But, I know you wanted info on the ANG so I'll tell you what I know. They stay in CONUS. They only have to "work" during the weekends. You still get the Montgomery/Post 9/11 GI bill. I don't think you get full medical though. You get to volunteer for deployments. Finally, the pay, I believe is hourly unless you're deployed. Oh, you also make rank faster in the ANG.

Im not even gunna start.. But you just struck a fuse.. Enough said.

Read the signature....HOOAH

O yea expected to take some heat for that one. I guess you missed the iraq tours? but really most people dont join the army or marines with education in mind. They do have the lowest required score. When i took the asvab most the people in my group scored too low to qualify for the air force but thats ok they were headed to the army anyway :D.

I've heard that the guard/reserves are looked down upon, but quiet franky i dont give damn. im above that childish shit, and if thats how they treat people then i dont want to be a part of that any way. I'm a grown African American man, i've been looked down upon before, and that weak ass stuff doesn't faze me. I mean serving in the guard or reserves is better than nothing, wether people like it or not doesnt concearn me. Besides if i was gonna go all the way, id rather join the marines then the army anyway

All I know is the Army isn't that well looked upon either...but its the easiest to get in and will take alot more guy/gals that other branch's rejected for whatever reason.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back