The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

air filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olddsmer

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 26, 2010
middletown, Ohio
Just wondering what air filters you guys are using. I have a Dejon intake pipe with a K&N filter on my 93 Talon 6 bolt setup. I was thinking of the Greddy Airnix but I dont know if it will work. My intake pipe goes to my mas which is attached the the base of the air can. The K&N just clamps to it. The K&N is so long it touches my Dejon upper intercooler pipe. Just looking for something different.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards
Greg
"Olddsmer"

Just get a smaller version of KN. Go on their website and get a shorter version of what you have, don't spend the money on anything else.

Just wondering what air filters you guys are using. I have a Dejon intake pipe with a K&N filter on my 93 Talon 6 bolt setup. I was thinking of the Greddy Airnix but I dont know if it will work. My intake pipe goes to my mas which is attached the the base of the air can. The K&N just clamps to it. The K&N is so long it touches my Dejon upper intercooler pipe. Just looking for something different.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards
Greg
"Olddsmer"

If your K&N is the one that is made to be the stock replacement filter, then I think you are having the same problem I had when I was using this setup.
As I remember, the filter element was correct and the problem was the Dejon intake pipe. It was supposed to put the filter in the "stock position" but it actually moved it about an inch further outboard. That was an "M" style intake pipe as I remember. Man I'm really pushing it with my memory now, this was about 4 years ago.
So I asked Dejon to make a custom "P" style pipe that would be shorter than he normally makes them, and even another inch shorter so I could connect it to the turbo with a normal 2.75" to 2" silicone reducer hose instead of putting the metal pipe over the turbo intake which is what Dejon had in mind with their normal design.

So I sent him this scan of a cardboard 2D mockup I made that for sure fit the way I wanted:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/URL][/IMG]

and it looked like this on the car - by the way this uicp is a home-made job, not a dejon:

[/URL][/IMG]

So it fit fine, but I wasn't using the can over the filter, so the clamps at the seal on the base of the filter was a funky arrangement. I didn't have the can, If I did I prob would have cut the flange off the base and used it just to hold that gasket better.

Plus, as people have said, the 1g maf is awful.

When I went to the 3" GM MAF, I used the same 7.5" long Dejon "P" pipe and same silicone reducer at the turbo, with the K&N 3320 filter, all the stuff that is in my profile now. The 3320 filter is not very big, but I love it. This setup looks like this:

[/URL][/IMG]

I do like the K&N air filters. They have a very good heavy duty construction, look great, work great. That screen that they bond over the outside of the element really helps it hold up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response from all of you. Now I have some
ideas to work with.

Regards
Greg

Greddy filter sucks, the plastic cage that holds the filter element is brittle and excess vibration under the hood will break it. Currently running AEM dryflow filter, works great.

What do u guys think about this air filter= Vibrant Performance ::.

I wrote to vibrant performance asking why they say not for turbo use and they said= In response to your question, our open funnel can work with turbo vehicles but only up to a certain horsepower rating for maximum horsepower. Ideally, naturally aspirated engines generate a smaller amount of stress on the filter which is why we designed the open funnel for those particular applications. Conversely, our classic air filters are designed with a higher flow rating and stronger base which makes it more suitable for turbo applications.

Sure, our open funnel can work on some turbo applications like your vehicle but generally, we suggest our classic filter as it is more durable and will produce more horsepower.

and i wrote back=I just think the open funnel would make more power as its more opened then your classic air filter which would mean it would be drawing more air in correct? I think u guys are more worried that the chrome cap inside might get sucked into the turbo ive heard it happened before but my filter is not hooked up right to my turbo.

I been using the vibrant performance open funnel air filter for a while and didnt notice any issues extreme psi and stm sell them so do other dsm vendors so i think they are fine to use wouldnt u agree? I didnt go with the k&n because it has a cover on the top so it would be blocking air while the vp open funnel is opened on top allowing more air to come in then the k&n.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back