The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Air Filter On Turbo [Merged 10-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspyder

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
del taco, Wisconsin
i was looking at the gallery and i noticed this one dude has the air filter hooked right up to the turbo, no piping or anything just connected it right off the turbo. can we do this with our cars, my guess is it would trip the air sensor, and cause the check engine light to come on!!

4g63telantra said:
Im in the wait of getting my new Turbo. The inlet size is 4" and just wanted to know if there is anyone ruinng a air filter on a turbo and what one? I dont want a cheap one becuase I dont want the turbo to eat the filter.

Go on K&N's website. You can custom order almost any size filter your heart desires. Personally, I wouldn't recommend attaching an air filter directly onto the turbo. The temperature can get quite intense in that area, and I would worry about the filter melting.

Link 1 to K&N
Link 2 to K&N

4g63telantra said:
Does anyone run open turbo w/ no Filter?

John Sheperd does.

4g63telantra said:
If filtered, what Filter are you using and are you running a pipe as well from turbo to air filter?

Most people use an intake pipe between the air filter and compressor-side housing.

If you have the money to spend then go with the HKS, that's what I run, but K&N is just as good.

No idea what type of filter this is, I believe just a regular K&N or something very similar.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

During the day I definitely notice a decrease in power, but at night with consecutive pulls I never really notice any difference in performance. I'll look for my dyno logs too, my temps may be listed on that as well. But the biggest problem I had with heat was my FMIC getting heatsoaked.

Edit: I'm also running AEM EMS, incase that helps you any.

I would say do a custom CAI set-up for your needs, or get a regualr metal intake pipe from SLS, they have 4" intake pipe, and just get a K&N for it, the filter being that close to the exhaust manifold, and turbo, and block, will be sucking in hot air, and thus making your IC work harder to cool the same amount of boost, and you will sacrific the amount of boost you can run on pump wit those hot intake temps, plus with a FMIC, and radiator infront of the filter not too much outside air will get to it as to the original spot behind the headlight.

Dustin

I always had the impression that adding a filter right on the turbo was not recommended because of the high temps around that area.

Also its not too common because not everyone is running some kind of MAF to eliminate the MAS sensor.

If that does not apply to you, I definitely would do what was mentioned above. Some kind of cold air induction.

I looked into this to because my gt14 has a 4" inlet. I was looking into everything from running a screen to runnig dryer ducting like a ram air drag style intake. IN the end they're either to much work with out enouh reward or they just don't work good enough. I ended up going with the FP style 4" intake. Easy to install only cost about 80 bucs and you get colder air to the turbo and you can slap a gigantic K&N filter on there and get plenty of air.

Normally the ppl who run with air filters directly onto the turbos, or no air filter at all ( turbo charged hondas, or sentras in example ) is because they have literally, no room under the hood for any pipeing. But since you have room to have pipeing Id suggest get some, custom pipeing is easy, just go to an exhaust shop.
The intake will be pulling hotter air from there, and the filter wont last long in that location. And definitly dont try this with the stock paper filter, who knows might catch on fire.

Just a few days ago, It rained like hell (flood) and I know a few of the local DSM'ers have hydrolocked due to just running an open turbo or a filter on the turbo. Take into account the water spray, road debris and random crap that gets kicked up when you drive... I'd have to say stick with an intake pipe with a jacketed filter, K&N sells it. :thumb:

SolidBoostTSi said:
Just a few days ago, It rained like hell (flood) and I know a few of the local DSM'ers have hydrolocked due to just running an open turbo or a filter on the turbo. Take into account the water spray, road debris and random crap that gets kicked up when you drive... I'd have to say stick with an intake pipe with a jacketed filter, K&N sells it. :thumb:

That reason alone is exactly why I'm buying a dejon pipe to relocate my filter back to the stock position. It rains a lot out here and we have a lot of pot holes where water can spray up from and screw things up.

pepsi21463 said:
That reason alone is exactly why I'm buying a dejon pipe to relocate my filter back to the stock position. It rains a lot out here and we have a lot of pot holes where water can spray up from and screw things up.
I regret not getting the dejon over the fp. I don't like the fact that you need a special filter and the sharp curve the fp takes. the fp is perfect for a guy running a 2g maf anyone else should buy the dejon.

Yeah, i heard K&N has some really good stuff to increase horsepower and what not.

When using a GM 3" blow though MAF w/ MAF Translater setup, is there room to mount a filter directly on the turbo?

Im sure you could make somthing work in that area depending how big and wether or not your ic pipes will be in the way. But why would you want to sick in all that hot air?

Yeah, a lot of hot air directly to the turbo wouldn't be so good. Maybe if someone made a CAI, with a front mount, to where the SMIC was, it'd be beneficial. Why would you want it directly on there?

didn't think of the heat issue, but it makes since. I was just thinking that becuase it would take up less space. BTW I have a friend with an FD RX7 with a GT45R with the filter directly attached to that and he is making nearly 800 rwhp. But like you guys said it would be better to just mount it in stock location. I haven't even bought my talon yet, just doing research. Thanks

I have seen some supra's set up like that. I think it all depends on the position of the turbo it self. Unfortunetly on ours it is right behind the radiator, and mashed next to the block.

I am running blow-through, and trying to clean up my engine bay.

Has anyone had luck finding an air filter that will fit directly onto the 14b/16g inlet? Maybe not directly, but one that stays pretty close to the inlet, without requiring an intake pipe?

What I would like to know, is if anyone found a model of Air-filter that connects directly to a 14b/16g inlet, without much trouble. I was browsing the K&N custom application book, there are a few that look like they might work, but it's a tight fit down there.

Anybody find one that works? For reference, I am using the Stock LICP.

Not to argue, but "cold" air coming into an air filter using a CAI may be 90 degrees, and that same air after blowing through the radiator using no CAI may be 100 degrees. The turbo heats this air up by like 500 degrees. The difference in 590 degrees total and 600 degrees total is not noticable.

CAI on a turbo car = inefficient spending

My setup works great. Check out gallery.

Agreed. my Pod filter is directly on the turbo..i then spent money on a bunch of 3" Samco hoses to make a CAI..

well.. it sure looks cool.:sneaky:

Apart from the usual "Wow,check out that intake" i havent noticed a thing performance wise :boring:

I agree otherwise. A cold air intake helped me out to a degree. Before doing my CAI mod, I was logging 90+*F intake temperatures and had knock in the upper RPMs in third gear. Same tune, all else equal (did an actual before and after log), I logged ~75*F intake temperatures and knock virtually disappeared (I got .4* knock) and the car flowed 1 lb/min more. All in all, I spent ~$15 on this "inefficient" mod; That gain is more than enough for me to continue running it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After reading this post, I guess I should get a pipe and put my air filter back in place. Seems like the right thing to do.

Erik

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back