The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

AGP Tune 'n Track Results (Numbers Inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSX

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2002
Old Pueblo, Arizona
AGP Tune 'n Track Results

I've been running the AGP turbo kit on my car for about a month now, and much like DSMtuners moderator Tevenor, I have had a chance to put the turbo kit thru tests which I feel suit what a turbo / turbo kit should provide a daily driven '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with street and strip goals. Below I have documented my setup, and the story of how I came to test the turbo / turbo kit. Please read, and if there are any questions please feel free.

Setup - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Power Mods (Engine) -

Original 7-bolt with 75K

AGP 3" Intake Pipe
AGP T3/T4 Kit 50 Trim w/ .48 A/R
HKS 272 Intake/Exhaust Cams
NGK BPR7ES Plugs
NGK 7mm Ignition Wires
Custom 2.5"-3" Slip Fit DownPipe w/ Resonator and Apexi N1Cat-Back
Apexi Skyline FMIC w/ AGP 2.5" Short Route Piping (using HKS SSQV)

Fuel Delivery -

FIC 750cc Injectors
Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
AeroMotive AFPR w/ B&M Gauge
ECMTuning DSMLink

DriveTrain -

Stock '97 AWD Transmission/Tranfer Case

JUN Lightened FlyWheel
LUK OEM Rated Clutch w/ Mitsu OEM TB

Suspension -

RM Racing Sway Bars
Eibach SportLine Lowering Springs
Tokico Illumina 5 Way Adjustable Shocks
Sprint Camber Adjustment Kits (Front/Rear)
Enkie 17x8 RPM2 Wheels
Yokohama 235/45ZR17 AVS ES100 Tires
TCE 12.2" Wilwood Brake Kit

Interior/Exterior -

Greddy Turbo Timer
Greddy 60mm P/H Boost and EGT Gauges
LoTek Dual Pillar Pod (opened to fit 60mm)
HKS Dual Port EVC-EZ Boost Controller
RM HID HeadLight Kit
VIS Carbon Fiber Hood

To The Tuning...

I had earlier missed a chance to dyno the car during a Subaru Club Day in which Dyno-Comp (dyno-comp.com)was offering 3 pulls to "Prove Your Power"

So, I decided I would book an outing with the owner Richard and drove the 118 miles the afternoon of the 21st. Well, all went well for 117 of those miles. When I exited the freeway the temp gauge shot up to the tip top and I began to panic. I managed to quickly get the car to to dyno-comp where it was wisely decided we'd let the car cool. We decided we'd check coolant levels, then compression, and go from there. Of the 2 gallons of coolant our cars take, I was missing about 1.5 of those .. so we filled it up. Next, compression numbers showed us numbers ranging from 120-144 across all for cylinders - ouch. It appears in the three years I've had this car I've been a bit hard on it, although I dismissed some of those number to the cam overlap .. we'll see right?

It was then decided we would put the car on the AWD dyno and see what we could get away with. After loading the car on the dyno, and separating and rejoining the slip fit downpipe cause the car was too low, we managed to do a pull or two. Moral of the story - first pull with street tuning at 24 psi on race gas netted me 350 whp. From there on out we continued to do back to back pulls until we hit 372 whp and 340 ft/lbs. We could only get 372 whp because the clutch would slip at anything past that.

2209dyno_chart.JPG

***(Note: we were having problems setting load on the dyno, power came on much quicker than what is shown)***

I'll leave off my saying that the owner/tuner I could have made about 20-30 whp more had my clutch held as we were pulling fuel with plenty of room using the DSMLink and holding a steady 11.5:1 A/F ratio.

On To The Track...

So, I took my 372 whp to the track for the IDRC Firebird Nationals on the 22-23rd. My first practice run gave me a 12.3 with those same clutch issues. I waited a few more hours and made my first qualifying run which netted a 12.6 with even more clutch slippage (if that were possible). I decided to skip my 2nd and 3rd qualifying runs in hopes that my clutch would come back to its former life on Sunday for the 4th and final qualifying run.

Come Sunday, I felt like less launch and a tad bit less boost was the answer - it wasn't. The clutch held but a 2.2 60' time and bad drivnig netted me a 13.2. So, I played the waiting game. With some luck I made the Street 8 class at IDRC as the number 8 qualifier. The class consisted of 3 RX7.com cars, 2 supras, the Easy Street WRX, an 11.5 Dodge Stealth, and myself.

First round, Ari Yallon and myself .. to finish the story quickly my clutch did a decent job holding together and I wound up with the numbers below - I lost of course to a 10.0 by Ari.

R/T .730
60' 1.666
330 4.983
1/8 7.690
MPH 92.52
1000 9.961
1/4 11.918
MPH 115.78
----> Link To TimeSlip
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Finally, for all that want the street story of the turbo .. this turbo is street driven on Arizona 91 octane gas. I can generally manage to tune the car to about 18-20 psi for street use. As for spool, 20psi usually has be building boost at about 2.5K with full boost delivered somewhere between 3500 and 3700 RPM. So, great turbo for tuning, track, and street.

Again, please feel free to ask any questions of me .. I'd like to help if possible. Thanks.

Well Iam placing my order tomorrow for this kit. I noticed you have the .48ar. Now I have heard alot about that ar being to small, and not flowing enough. But these are other ppls words. I was going to go with a 57 trim .63 ar. What should I expect for spool?? Would you recomend I go with the .48 ar over the .63?

Now my car is also going to be doing some street duty. So I need it to be streetable, but still need to make the numbers. e.g 1/4 mile
We also get 94 oct here. Im looking for high to mid 11's. But I still would like the turbo to do more down the road. You said you have 750cc injectors? what is your injector pulse width at? Will 680cc's be ok for this application?

I will post my set up just to help out out.
Big FMIC
680cc's
Tial BOV
S-AFC
ACT clutch
Full Exhaust
hks 642 cams
255 pump
ect
but i think that is the most important stuff.

so what do you suggest??

I don't understand how you can go from a 2.2 60 ft time to a 1.66 with a slipping clutch. Regardless, congrats....

i about ready to order the agp kit probably this week whenever my credit card payment clears so i can max it out again:cry: oh well

so what are you inpressions on the fitment and quality of the kit? how long after the order did you receive the kit?

so far ive heard nothing but praise about the kit but more convincing is always good..thanx:)

oh and nice times:thumb:

From what I know about the wait. Form talkin to AGP. The wait is 5-6 weeks before they can ship it out. I also have heard mostly good things. I did hear about one of the manifolds leaking from 2 small holes in the welds:confused:

that was my manifold that was leaking from the welds, agp told me they have never heard of this happening and will be inspecting every manifold before it is shipped from now on, it wasnt agp's fault, sfp made the manifold, and agp is replacing the manifold free of charge. AGP is an awesome company and make great products. if i had to do it again i'd do it the same way. AGP = :thumb:

Wow, it's so nice to see a reply on this... this is the kit i've been wanting..

Btw:

R/T .730
60' 1.666
330 4.983
1/8 7.690
MPH 92.52
1000 9.961
1/4 11.918
MPH 115.78

I'm assuming this time was done on 24psi? And your clutch held through the higher gears also?

Very impressive man, nice to know you can make those numbers with low cylinder compression, as my car will likely be trying the same feat, with 130 across the board, and 100psi in one cylinder :)

Nice review Pete

Thanks for getting back to me earlier. So what happened to the dyno. I mean great numbers but I know this thing dosen't spool at 4800 rpm? The footnote says that you had trouble setting the load on the dyno?

Let me see if I can stay on top of this thread to actually answer everyone's questions. Here goes.

Cucumber,

Thanks, I want to be informative and post my experience thus far.

FastRthenU,

With a 57 Trim w/ .63 A/R I would expect full spool just at or after 4k on a 8.5:1 compression motor (2G). I think the 57 trim w/ .48 A/R housing would easily strip a few hundred RPM off that spool time and bring you in around 3700 RPM. I would recommend the .48 A/R because of it's amazing streetability ... also, I went with the .48 A/R housing because I was told the benefit of the .63 A/R housing was about 20 whp on the dyno, which I could live without.

As for numbers, I am sure there is more left in this car. The ACT 2600 will confirm that. To answer you questions about injectors, we were surprised to find that at 24 psi during the pulls I was hitting 98% injector duty cycle at some point. Thus, we changed the base fuel pressure from about 43 psi to 48 psi on the AeroMotive AFPR and that brought those same injector duty cycles down to the low to mid 80s. So, if you have 680cc injectors you may think about running a higher base fuel pressure to buy you some room up top - good question.

So, I guess my experience would tell me to go with the .48 A/R and watch those duty cycles closely. You won't be disappointed. Let us know what you decide on...

KRAZYKOREAN,

I originally went to school at ASU, so I know the area pretty well. I'm sure we'll meet up at a Sonic Meet or even on Mill sometime.

TRBOTSI,

You are right, kinda strange huh? Well, the 2.2 sixty foot time was without the stutterbox launch (so it was the bogs of all bogs). The clutch held the rest of the way so on what I knew was going to be the last of my runs I launched the car off the 5500K stutterbox with about with about 4 psi of boost built up. I had hoped the clutch would come back for one last pass and it did. That's the difference in 60' times. Additionally, the clutch was less than perfect the rest of that run ... but again, we'll see what the car does with an ACT 2600. Thanks.

Gritsak,

Fitment and qualtiy are top notch in my opinion, please feel free to check out a pic of the motor for youself and ask further questions. Or maybe I'll add the link.

2209motor.JPG

Best things are that AGP worked with SFP to design a jig for better turbo placement (no water pipe bangin' here). Also, there were no troubles putting together this kit in the either of the two installations I've been witness to.

Hmmm, wait time? I was actually one of the first to order this kit. So, I talked with AGP and they explained that I would likely be waiting for a few things here and there which was no problem. I would expect at this point that the wait is just as FastRthenU described it.

Race my talon,

Right on man. Can't wait to see/hear about your car once it's all tuned and ready to go. Keep us posted.

Thalomos,

Yup, 24 psi. The clutch has been great for me on previous passes until I crossed the 12.5 threshold. From that point on it has been questionable in just about every run in which I've ready driven the car hard. In the run I've shown. The 5500K stutterbox launch held suprisingly well, but I did notice a bit of a slip toward the higher RPMs. Same was true of the 1-2 shift, but 2-3 and 3-4 held like a champ from what I can remember - surprising, huh?

Thanks to all for the replys, keep 'em and any questions coming.

Pete,

You forgot to mention the trash can you kept filling up with coolant. Pete's head gasket is definitely a little on the tired side. While we had his car on the dyno, we used a trash can as his overflow bottle. After every run, he'd fill it up another couple of inches.

I just noticed. You need to work on that Pro Tree. .730 on a .000, ouch. You gave away a half a second to Ari. :D

I got the same exact kit as pete, but in a .63 a/r. It may make abit more power, but the .48 is badass for streetability. If you just want mid 11s, and a fast spooling street turbo, this is the way to go.

A pepboys slipping clutch, puking headgasket, and a FULL weight GSX. Power leather seats, a/c, everything.

I guarantee Petes car would have made 415+ hp, but any more timing or tuning just made his clutch slip. We are going to fix headgasket and put in an ACT 2600, and then take it back and see what it can really do.

Funny how every fast DSM in AZ is running an AGP turbo kit.

WOW! That is awesome. I am having the same problem myself with a stock clutch and a big turbo. Seeing these results makes me want to switch to the t3/t4 AGP setup. Keep us posted on what happens after the hg problem and a tougher clutch. Congratulations!

Good numbers pete and great time.

Guess I'm the only AZ dsmer who has and AGP turbo that needs to get there butt in gear and to the Dyno and the track.

Im running a stock 1g bottom end. What will the spool be like wiht stock compression, and the 57 trim .63ar? Do you suggest I go with the .48 ar? How much lag difference is there between the .63 a/r and the .48a/r? My car will also be run on the street so it need to be streetable also. Ahhh I dont know what to do now.:confused:

I just called AGP and Orderd my kit. Looks like Im going with the 57trim .63 A/R :D

now to wait the 5 weeks plus shipping time:cry:

I appologize if I missed something, but were you running C16? I know you said you drive on the streets with 91 octane, but I didn't see any specific to the track runs.

Originally posted by FastRthenU
I just called AGP and Orderd my kit. Looks like Im going with the 57trim .63 A/R :D

Yes that was a pain, but I was all the more excited when it came :)

Even took a picture of the box it came in!

Originally posted by UndergroundR32

Yes that was a pain, but I was all the more excited when it came :)

Even took a picture of the box it came in!

Mine was hand delivered to my house.

How's that for customer service.:D

Originally posted by FastRthenU

i tried to call agp but got voice mail and left a message, once they call back im ordering my kit too:D

damn, i didnt think it would really be a 5week wait:( oh well that will give me lots of time to get everything else ready, so when the kit gets here i can bolt it on and start tuning

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back