The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

AGM Battery Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gDSM4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
San Jose, California
Well the small battery Odyssey Hawker PC680 hasn't work out too well for me. Been through two Hawkers and I don't find it trustworthy supporting two fuel pump now so I'm going to to a trunk battery. I hear red top Optima is the choice most go for but I've read some bad review. Any recommendation like Kinetik, Braille, etc..?

I use a Baker Precision PB34 battery (AGM battery, 500 CCA, only 23 lbs, and $130) in my 2GT DSM and have been VERY happy with it for the past 6 years (it's still going strong).

I live in CA (no extreme cold weather) so I've never had trouble starting my car, and even after a few complete discharges the battery is still healthy. I did relocate the battery to my trunk, away from the engine heat, so that probably helped with battery life as well.

Keep in mind this battery doesn't use the stock terminal posts so you'll probably need an adapter to use it.

Baker Batteries

Another option is the Westco Miata battery, similar specs to the PB34 battery (I use this battery in my MKIV twin-turbo Supra) and I'm also very happy with it.

WestCo Battery - Motorcycle Batteries and Marine Batteries

Hopefully this helps.

Warren
95 GST

Well the small battery Odyssey Hawker PC680 hasn't work out too well for me. Been through two Hawkers and I don't find it trustworthy supporting two fuel pump now so I'm going to to a trunk battery. I hear red top Optima is the choice most go for but I've read some bad review. Any recommendation like Kinetik, Braille, etc..?

I use a Baker Precision PB34 battery (AGM battery, 500 CCA, only 23 lbs, and $130) in my 2GT DSM and have been VERY happy with it for the past 6 years (it's still going strong).

I live in CA (no extreme cold weather) so I've never had trouble starting my car, and even after a few complete discharges the battery is still healthy. I did relocate the battery to my trunk, away from the engine heat, so that probably helped with battery life as well.

Keep in mind this battery doesn't use the stock terminal posts so you'll probably need an adapter to use it.

Baker Batteries

Another option is the Westco Miata battery, similar specs to the PB34 battery (I use this battery in my MKIV twin-turbo Supra) and I'm also very happy with it.

WestCo Battery - Motorcycle Batteries and Marine Batteries

Hopefully this helps.

Warren
95 GST

Great I'll look into it but I kind of want to ditch that whole small battery thing and go to the trunk with a kill switch. 10-20 lbs. lighter just isn't worth it when it can do the job.

I run a kinetic battery in my trunk. granted its only for my "extras". It could easily run the whole car. it weighs a good bit, granted mine is the 2200 CCA. If you stuck with a smaller one, i would highly recommend it for a lightweight, sealed, trunk battery.

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. If you are considering relocating your battery to an enclosed space, there are some safety concerns that should be properly addressed. Although our batteries are sealed, it is important that any lead-acid battery has proper ventilation. ALL lead-acid batteries can vent gas. Traditional wet batteries do this immediately when recharged, since they are not sealed. Sealed lead-acid batteries like Optimas and all other "dry cell" AGM batteries have safety release valves that should only vent if they are seriously overcharged.

Under normal operating conditions, an AGM battery will not vent gas. Since alternators or chargers can fail, the safest and correct mounting method for trunks and passenger compartments is to make sure that any possible gas venting will escape to the outside of the vehicle. All vehicles with original equipment battery locations in trunks or passenger compartments will have a vent provision that should be used. If your battery is custom-mounted in the trunk or passenger compartment we recommend venting the battery to the outside of your vehicle as well. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.

Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there's a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

For example, IF there is a voltage regulator failure, and IF the battery is severely overcharged, and IF this goes unnoticed, and IF the battery vents because the internal pressure exceeds the release pressure of the vents, the gasses are both flammable and toxic. This may sound like a lot of "ifs," but attorneys and engineers get paid to plan for every worst-case scenario. If you have any other battery-related questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

If your vehicle is relatively stock, an appropriately-sized RedTop will offer plenty of cranking power. If you have significant aftermarket electrical accessories, like a large stereo or car alarm, an appropriately-sized YellowTop is a better option. The most important key to long battery life is maintaining at least 12.4 volts in a battery. If your vehicle is not a daily driver, a battery tender/maintainer is an excellent investment which will help extend the life of your battery, regardless of brand. If you have any other battery-related questions, I'll do my best to answer them. I appreciate your interest in Optima batteries.

Jim McIlvaine

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back